News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production

Comments

• Reply 81 of 148
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Graphics:

Either all models will be utilizing the integrated graphics chip or all models won't... They won't be using seperate boards in different models because it would require two different component layout and designs. I honestly believe all MacBooks will use the integrated chip.. If you need a dedicated gpu then the MacBook Pro is your machine.
  • Reply 82 of 148
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    I'll be thrilled if the base model has a Superdrive. Not sure I'm expecting it, though.
  • Reply 83 of 148
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
  • Reply 84 of 148
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Graphics:

Either all models will be utilizing the integrated graphics chip or all models won't... They won't be using seperate boards in different models because it would require two different component layout and designs. I honestly believe all MacBooks will use the integrated chip.. If you need a dedicated gpu then the MacBook Pro is your machine.

Agreed, I think integrated graphics and a slightly lower cpu speed will be the main differentiator between the MacBook / MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 85 of 148
    mrkrismrkris Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I agree with you here. That's why, except for iSight, the new features that are being mentioned, only seem to add unnecessary cost IMO. Does someone looking for a low cost notebook need a magnetic latch and a magsafe powercord? I would have put in a cheap reliable latch and a cheap standard power source so as to keep cost as low as possible. I don't see these features as being that important to the typical buyer of this machine.

I'd have to dissagree with that to a point. While the latch may be a little out there, for typical dorm and even high school life the magsafe is well worth the investment. I might even go that far out and say the magnetic latch is as well. I work for a help desk for my school and we currently hand out Dells to all our students. However, we are looking at Apple for the future. One of the most common problems of physical damage is that someone either tripped over their cord and it fell, or the students force something down and breaks their latch. Then again, Dell's older models - as most students here have - came with really crappy plastic latches. What really appeals to us at the help desk (especially us macheads), is the idea of no latch and the less probability of common physical damage. I can see for an older adult or someone who doesnt plan on taking their cord with them anywhere and is mature enough to not lose it on your laptop - they don't really need the nice latch or magsafe; however, I think its essential in the student market. The real question is this; I would love to see it come out (I am due to test one of these for our school), but deep down I know that iSight or Front Row is not all that critical for student life. It'd be pretty awesome, but it'd be purely for entertainment usage. So, if anything would be stripped off of a Solo Model would be the iSight and Front Row. However, I don't see it that likely to happen.
  • Reply 86 of 148
    jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 43member
    Count me in as someone who thinks it'll be $1099.

I think at $999, it would kill the $799 mini, esp if the rumors of it being all Core Duo are correct. It would be great if they did make a $799 notebook for the education market, but I don't think it'll happen.
  • Reply 87 of 148
    Quote:

Well, you do have a point.
  • Reply 88 of 148
    manjaapmanjaap Posts: 2member
    I do not give a damn about the price. just give me my macbook Steve
  • Reply 89 of 148
    Quote:

Originally posted by manjaap

I do not give a damn about the price. just give me my macbook Steve

I wholeheartedly concur!
  • Reply 90 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

999$ for a Core Duo 1.66GHz with integrated graphics and I'm buying it.

Integrated graphics makes the most sense on a 13" MacBook (especially the low end one) since most people won't be doing any hardcore gaming on it. The screen is too small (IMO) for gaming...and these suckers will be used mainly for school work or other non-gaming activities.

It would make no sense to stick a graphics card in there and up the price point by 100-200$.

Heck...integrated graphics makes on the MacBook makes more sense than integrated graphics on the Mac mini. People are more likely to game with the Mac mini than with the MacBook.

If Apple ships a 999$ MacBook that's at least a Core Duo...I'm buying it.

Agreed.
  • Reply 91 of 148
    Quote:

I also remember the introduction of the Mac mini, when Jobs stood on stage and talked about how they wanted to build a sub $500 desktop because it was a "sweet spot".. Well, that didn't last long.

What data do you have that shows mini sales are hurting?

Reports from companies that follow sales of various items, have reported that. Apple uses this data themselves in their reports. Jobs used it during MacWorld when reporting sales.
  • Reply 92 of 148
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    definitely core solo starting at 1099. no isight.

long battery life, something kookie with how it looks (color choices), but that's about it. 512mb ram, integrated graphics. That's what you get.

With options available (isight, more ram bigger drives). Simple new macbook options...no tiers.

Then in a couple months...a new level...tablet/ipod?
  • Reply 93 of 148
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

definitely core solo starting at 1099. no isight.

long battery life, something kookie with how it looks (color choices), but that's about it. 512mb ram, integrated graphics. That's what you get.

With options available (isight, more ram bigger drives). Simple new macbook options...no tiers.

Then in a couple months...a new level...tablet/ipod?

No way they'll leave the iSight out of the MacBook ... It would anger a lot of people for different reasons. I personally hope they make iSight a BTO option in the future for those of us that have to work in secured areas.

I guess we won't know who's right until Tuesday ... maybe
  • Reply 94 of 148
    dmwogandmwogan Posts: 36member
    The 12" pbook has a better keyboard and extended desktop. thats the reason i bought one. oh, that and it doesn't make all those noises when you close it etc.. the ibook seems a little too cluncky for me.

Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Here's comparably configured Powerbook vs. iBook

Powerbook

$1,499.00

12.1-inch TFT Display

1.5GHz PowerPC G4

512MB memory

80GB 5400 rpm hard drive

Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics card with 64MB DDR memory

64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory

iBook

$1099.00

12.1-inch TFT Display

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512MB memory

80GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550

32MB DDR video memory

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight speedbump, a dvd burner and a different graphics card. I don't think that's a good deal. So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook. It's priced higher because it's a "pro" machine and the pros will pay more unnecessarily.

• Reply 95 of 148
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

What the hell, I might as well post my prediction...

SooperDooper MacBook

12" Display

3.0 GHz Intel Core Quadro

SuperDrive

WiFi & Bluetooth

1 TB SATA HDD (No RAID, just a big, fuckin' block on the back of the computer...)

4 GB DDR2 RAM

QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM (I know, I know ... but there will be a slot in the side where I can plug in my PCI-express graphics card, thereby eliminating GPU heat in the laptop and letting me play all my games with no slow down or tearing)

MagSafe, magnet latchy thing, iSight, remote, toaster, tote bag and autographed picture of Steve Jobs...

$1599 -- That's still too damn much though .. I'll wait for Rev. B and pray that it's in an aluminum case

Yes but it want it for SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY NINE DOLLARS!
  • Reply 96 of 148
    c0ldc0ld Posts: 1member
    I am planning on buying a MacBook in September for the next semester. Since Merom is going to be released in August what do you guys think are the chances of Apple selling Merom Macbooks by September or even October?
  • Reply 97 of 148
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by c0ld

I am planning on buying a MacBook in September for the next semester. Since Merom is going to be released in August what do you guys think are the chances of Apple selling Merom Macbooks by September or even October?

MacBook Meroms? No. MacBook Pro Meroms, probably. You'll see today's high-end Core Duo's trickle down into the MacBooks before they ever get Meroms.
  • Reply 98 of 148
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Slimmer than my girlfriend.

To be honest you get 10 euro from me if they deliver a Merom MacBook by september.

MacBook Pro however...
  • Reply 99 of 148
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Who knows what the new Apple attitude will produce.
  • Reply 100 of 148
    It's a matter of the price of the chips, and the speed differences available.

The price of the Merom's will likely be too high when they first come out, but, it's hard to tell.

If Apple can put the high speed Merom's into the MBP, and if the performance of the Merom is that 20% greater than the Yonah that they've been saying it is, then it's possible that Apple could use a lower priced version for the MB, especially if it is a low voltage type that will give improved battery life.

But, it might have to wait until MacWorld in January, because price drops should have occured by then.