Duplicate "Open With" Entries, WTF?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So, I'm checking the files I moved from my old iBook to the new iMac Core Duo, and I see this when I right-click on a picture created with Photoshop Elements on the iBook:

Open With... >

Photoshop Elements (Default)

ColorSync Utility

Preview

Preview

QuickTime Player

QuickTime Player

Safari

Safari

Ehh? Anybody know what's going on here, and how I can "clear" these duplicate entries, or better yet, clear all of them, so as to start from scratch? I also have two iTunes entries when clicking a song or video, two Pages entries for documents, etc. Help!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Ne'er mind, found the problem. LaunchServices seemed to duplicate the entries when my iBook was connected via FireWire target disk mode. So I found this article on Mac OS X Hints that shows how to "rebuild" the LaunchServices database.

Heh, shoulda done a search first!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerously

Ne'er mind, found the problem. LaunchServices seemed to duplicate the entries when my iBook was connected via FireWire target disk mode. So I found this article on Mac OS X Hints that shows how to "rebuild" the LaunchServices database.

Heh, shoulda done a search first!

I had this problem too and Apple Tech Support spent an hour on the phone with me trying to fix it to no avail. This can also be fixed in OnyX by click on the Reset Launch Services Database option. This option is much better if you don't like playing around in the terminal, but either way will work just fine
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

This can also be fixed in OnyX by click on the Reset Launch Services Database option.

Yeah, I also just found that button in my copy of Cocktail. Thanks for the suggestion; now I know an easy way to do it!