Pen Advice, Please

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a decent rollerball pen that will take gel ink refills. I've got a Parker Sonnet that I love to death...but I can't find gel refills for it.

Any advice? I'm thinking anywhere in the $35-$100 range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm no expert on this and don't know if they sell in the US (assuming that's where you reside), but give the Stabilo "'s move" ("smooth") a try.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I'm no expert on this and don't know if they sell in the US (assuming that's where you reside), but give the Stabilo "'s move" ("smooth") a try.

Is that a German pen? One of my oldest friends lives in Wuppertal, so I may see if he can nab me one.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes, Stabilo is mostly a German brand. Apparently popular in the UK too.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I recently was given a pen by a company I bought some parts from. It's a custom pen, but the cartridge inside is a "Schneider Topball 850," size is 05, and it is also from the fatherland. All I had to do to get it was design and order a bunch of screen-printed, plexiglass bezels.

It writes very nicely, and has the added bonus that it doesn't dry out. It writes better than the Mont Blanc I have.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    well if the budget was slightly higher I'd recomend this http://www.thespacereview.com/article/613/1
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I just read that a couple of days ago! I was stunned that the story was as fascinating as it was.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    my fisher space pen leaks globs of ink if I don't use it for a week.

I love my Sensa Meridian, I believe it comes in a rollerball model as well, but I love fountain pens...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    seriously I use (only use) uni-ball Vision Elite .05 which is a bold type. I can usually pick up a pack of 4 for around $8-$12 and if they dont get stolen from my desk they will last me for 6 months give or take.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    You cannot beat a Cross, spend the money they are the best
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I have two crosses, and really don't care for either of them. Are there gel refills for a cross roller ball?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Methinks it's a gel... in Japan, Zebra makes the SARASA which is wonderful. They come in all thicknesses and 10 or so colors. Smooth as silk. I discovered them while teaching high school and having to check 300 essays twice a week on top of monthly tests. The SARASA takes no pressure nor effort to write with. Have no idea if it is available outside of Japan.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I just recommended those to a friend of mine a few days ago. They're available in the US at Office Max.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Well, I saw this story on Diggnation last week. Apparently there is a way to use the MontBlanc refills in cheapo pens. So just find a barrel that you like and get the MontBlanc quality.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    The issue for me is that I really want to use my Parker Sonnet but there's no gel refill for it that I know of. I'm a real pen nerd/snob, and so 75% of what I like about pens is the heft and barrel size; the ink is only 25% of the equation.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Honestly, I've never had anything beat the "Bic Clic Stic," in particular the kinds you get for free at banks, trade shows, universities, etc. I've used all kinds of pens, but nothing beats the smooth writing ability and waterproof ink.