Intel gives name to next-generation chips

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. on Monday plans to unveil a single brand name for its new generation of chips for notebooks and desktop machines, formally dubbed Merom and Conroe.

Both chips should begin making their way into Apple's professional line of notebooks and desktops in the second half of the year.

The world's largest chip maker on Monday will announce that Conroe and Merom will both be called "Core 2 Duo" chips when they launch in the third quarter of the year, according to an advance press release.

Woodcrest, a high-end desktop and server chip targeted at high-performance enthusiasts, will be known as Core 2 Extreme, the company said.

According to Intel, the new line of chips will be faster and use less energy than previous processors, such as the Pentium 4. The company hopes the chips will help it regain mind and market share from rival Advanced Micro Devices.

Last month, Intel announced that it would bring the next-generation chips to market earlier than expected, with Woodcrest shipping in June, Conroe in July and Merom in August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Nice chips, shame about the names. Maybe Intel should leave marketing up to the professionals. I'm sure Steve could have suggested something a little less drab.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

Nice chips, shame about the names. Maybe Intel should leave marketing up to the professionals. I'm sure Steve could have suggested something a little less drab.

You mean, like IntelChip Pro, or something?

Actually, I don't think MacBook and MacBook Pro are bad names (I own one). I do admit it did take a little getting used to, though. PowerBook just rolls off the tongue.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

formally dubbed Merom and Conroe.

Well they are now formally known as Core 2 Duo.

They were formerly known as Merom and Conroe.

• Reply 4 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wouldn't "Core Duo 2" make more sense than "Core 2 Duo"?

After all isn't everyone saying that intel will no longer make single core chips, so everything should be a duo anyways....I think. \
  • Reply 5 of 18
    spartacusspartacus Posts: 52member
    Do you think that Apple will update the MacBook Pro when Merom comes out in august? It would be only 3-4 months lifetime for the 17".

I thnik that I could wait 3 month. I will buy the softwares I need and will use my privat iMac G5 that is so slow and noisy.

What is your predictions? Right at the disponibility of Merom or at Paris Apple Expo (10 sept.) or later?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spartacus

Do you think that Apple will update the MacBook Pro when Merom comes out in august? It would be only 3-4 months lifetime for the 17".

I thnik that I could wait 3 month. I will buy the softwares I need and will use my privat iMac G5 that is so slow and noisy.

What is your predictions? Right at the disponibility of Merom or at Paris Apple Expo (10 sept.) or later?

I think I will wait for Merom. That could change when the Macbooks come out though.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    At least it wasn't called Core Wii Duo.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Woodcrest, a high-end desktop and server chip targeted at high-performance enthusiasts, will be known as Core 2 Extreme, the company said.

Core 2 Extreme will be an enhanced version of Conroe, not Woodcrest.

I presume this is based on the Reuters report from yesterday...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

No mention of Woodcrest.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Core 2 Extreme will be an enhanced version of Conroe, not Woodcrest.

I presume this is based on the Reuters report from yesterday...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

No mention of Woodcrest.

If you are right, that would be a change, as I understand that most, or at least some of the previous EEs were the Xeon MP chips more or less repackaged as Pentium Extreme Edition, so the EEs could very well be repackaged Woodcrests.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

After all isn't everyone saying that intel will no longer make single core chips, so everything should be a duo anyways....I think. \

I'm on board with that... They obviously didn't think through the next iteration of the chips... smart people, but lousy with the names. \
  • Reply 11 of 18
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

No, it is the Core that is version 2, not the Duo. And single core versions will continue to exist, along with versions that have more than 2 cores. Core 2 Trio, Core 2 Quadro, Core 2 Quinto, ... Core 2 Octo, ...

Its going to get a bit unweildy.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

at least it isn't like ATI..

xCoreDuo X8000^2 XT X-TREME deluXe LE... eleventy billion.

It comes with Type-R stickers and benchmarks slower than the older model.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

omg if there ever was a flop by a company

nintendo nailed it with Wii.

tank.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

omg if there ever was a flop by a company

nintendo nailed it with Wii.

tank.

Looking back at Nintendo's track record, console names have never been their strong point.

The Nintendo Entertainment System

The SUPER Nintendo Entertainment System

The Game Boy

The Game Boy Color

The Game Boy Advance

The Game Cube

Wii doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary. I imagine the games and the unique controller implementation will lead it to success.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

• Reply 16 of 18
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

If you are right, that would be a change, as I understand that most, or at least some of the previous EEs were the Xeon MP chips more or less repackaged as Pentium Extreme Edition, so the EEs could very well be repackaged Woodcrests.

Only the first Pentium 4 Extreme Editions have been based on the Gallatin Xeon chip, later P4 EE were based on Prescott. The dual core Pentium Extreme Editions are based on Smithfield and Presler.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zandros

Only the first Pentium 4 Extreme Editions have been based on the Gallatin Xeon chip, later P4 EE were based on Prescott. The dual core Pentium Extreme Editions are based on Smithfield and Presler.

Are you serious? They have a product called "Gallatin Xeon"

Not to be confused with Gelatin Xenon, obviously. OK Intel's marketting department is now called the "mircotting depurchmint."

Morons... er, Morans?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Are you serious? They have a product called "Gallatin Xeon"

Not to be confused with Gelatin Xenon, obviously. OK Intel's marketting department is now called the "mircotting depurchmint."

Morons... er, Morans?

Gallatin is a development codename, not the marketing name of the actual product. It might be named after the national park.