Waste of money at this point?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

What are the big differences between the current chips and the ones coming out at the end of the summer? 64 bits?

64 bit and 20% more performance per watt, or something like that. More power for less battery life, essentially.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

64 bit and 20% more performance per watt, or something like that. More power for less battery life, essentially.

The battery life I'm really not worried about, I'll have the laptop plugged in most of the time. As long as I can use it for 3 or 4 hours without being plugged in, I don't have a problem with that. The 64 bit part kind of bothers me, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Are 64 bit chips really that big of a deal? Is it going to be a problem for people that don't have a 64 bit chip in the near future? I don't know to much about chips and stuff, all I know is software, and if it runs good on my comptuer haha.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

The battery life I'm really not worried about, I'll have the laptop plugged in most of the time. As long as I can use it for 3 or 4 hours without being plugged in, I don't have a problem with that. The 64 bit part kind of bothers me, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Are 64 bit chips really that big of a deal? Is it going to be a problem for people that don't have a 64 bit chip in the near future? I don't know to much about chips and stuff, all I know is software, and if it runs good on my comptuer haha.

Check out the Wiki article on 64-bit architectures ... for what you do in the digital realm 64 bit is probably good to have, but your work won't be reduced to crap without it. Chances are you were using 32 bit on your Windows box anyway. If you really want a 64 bit processor it looks like you'll either have to wait, or try to pick up one of the recently outdated PowerBooks off of eBay or Apple Refurbished...
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Check out the Wiki article on 64-bit architectures ... for what you do in the digital realm 64 bit is probably good to have, but your work won't be reduced to crap without it. Chances are you were using 32 bit on your Windows box anyway. If you really want a 64 bit processor it looks like you'll either have to wait, or try to pick up one of the recently outdated PowerBooks off of eBay or Apple Refurbished...

I'll take a look at the link now. The more I think about it, I plan on buying one of the new pro desktops when they come around later this year, so I hope that my MBP will be able to hang around. I just don't want to buy something and then find out in a year or two it's not supported anymore because it doesnt have a 64 bit chip.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

I'll take a look at the link now. The more I think about it, I plan on buying one of the new pro desktops when they come around later this year, so I hope that my MBP will be able to hang around. I just don't want to buy something and then find out in a year or two it's not supported anymore because it doesnt have a 64 bit chip.

Well, it's not that it'll be unsupported, it'll just run in 32-bit mode. The ProApps and OS X are all optimized for 64-bit architectures, but they're running on Intel machine's right now with 32-bit chips...
  • Reply 26 of 48
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

The PowerBooks were never 64-bit. Only the G5 processor was 64-bit (on the PPC side).
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

The PowerBooks were never 64-bit. Only the G5 processor was 64-bit (on the PPC side).

You are correct, my mistake ... <Sigh> they never did get the G5 in the PowerBook, huh?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Buy now, sell later...it'll just be a small user fee.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    maccabeamaccabea Posts: 15member
    i have basically the same questions about all of this. i don't do "much" heavy intensive work (a little web designing and photo stuff), but i want to get Leopard when it comes out along with the newer Office when it is someday released, and having a 32 bit MBP core duo, i'm worried that i won't be able to run those apps and OS smoothly...looking ahead for the next 4-5 years.

i pretty much need a laptop for the summer because i'm taking online classes. now i'm all worried about buying the MPB this month like i've been planning.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Buy now, sell later...it'll just be a small user fee.

I guess I could buy one now, and then see how much they are going for on ebay when the 64 chips start to come around. Think that's an option? I can't see something I bought 4 or 5 months ago going down in price that much, I could be really wrong though. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    I'm not sure how much it matters until key apps like Adobe CS will run on mactel. Though, I guess at some point emulation of non-universal apps will be as fast as native PowerPC. What's that magic number? Dual 3.0 intel core? I suspect we'll see that before we see CS3.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'm waiting till the last moment (jan 07) for two reasons

better chip architecture for better battery life AND faster speeds...sweeeet it would be great to have 2.33/2.6 with 20% better battery life than present intel chips. does anyone have any spec projections???

by that time emulation for windows xp may be included in the os OR parallels will actually be highly recommeded by AI members
  • Reply 33 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

This is the week I planned on buying my 15" MBP loaded, but with all this talk about new chips, I am contimplating waiting. How long do you guys think it's going to be before the new chips (Duo 2?) start to come around. I could use a laptop now, but If it's a month or so, I could possibly wait. Any predictions as of when these new chips are going to be seen in MBPs?

If you don't need it now, don't get it.

With 64bit around the corner, you should try to wait for it if you can. It's not a magic bullet or anything, but it's certainly a nice-to-have, and it's possible that down the road you'll run into an app that requires 64bit instructions. This would be likely if you're a technical user, so to speak.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

If you don't need it now, don't get it.

With 64bit around the corner, you should try to wait for it if you can. It's not a magic bullet or anything, but it's certainly a nice-to-have, and it's possible that down the road you'll run into an app that requires 64bit instructions. This would be likely if you're a technical user, so to speak.

Yeah, I just did some thinking. If I could find a 12" PB or maybe even a iBook that could just run Final Scratch I would be ok till the 64 MBPs come out. I don't know how cheap I would be able to find one though. I need a laptop this summer because I'm going to be spinning a lot. I just need a firewire port to hook up the Final Scratch. How cheap do you think I would be able to find one? The recommended requirments for Final Scratch are:

Mac Recommended: Mac OSX (10.3.5 or higher), G4 1GHz. 512MB RAM

PC Recommended: Windows XP, Pentium IV/Athlon XP 2GHz, 512MB RAM

All systems require an IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port.

If I could find something to meet them, that would meet my needs for the summer. The graphics and everything else I can try to get done at home as much as I can. Even if I get a PC laptop for the summer. The cheaper the better. Any suggestions?? I need help with this one.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i'm waiting till the last moment (jan 07) for two reasons

better chip architecture for better battery life AND faster speeds...sweeeet it would be great to have 2.33/2.6 with 20% better battery life than present intel chips. does anyone have any spec projections???

by that time emulation for windows xp may be included in the os OR parallels will actually be highly recommeded by AI members

I'm waiting as well. Came across Anand article that claims that merom and yonah can run on same motherboard. Does that mean that current MBPs could be upgraded to merom when available? If so I'm ready now.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Yeah, I just did some thinking. If I could find a 12" PB or maybe even a iBook that could just run Final Scratch I would be ok till the 64 MBPs come out. I don't know how cheap I would be able to find one though. I need a laptop this summer because I'm going to be spinning a lot. I just need a firewire port to hook up the Final Scratch. How cheap do you think I would be able to find one? The recommended requirments for Final Scratch are:

Mac Recommended: Mac OSX (10.3.5 or higher), G4 1GHz. 512MB RAM

PC Recommended: Windows XP, Pentium IV/Athlon XP 2GHz, 512MB RAM

All systems require an IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port.

If I could find something to meet them, that would meet my needs for the summer. The graphics and everything else I can try to get done at home as much as I can. Even if I get a PC laptop for the summer. The cheaper the better. Any suggestions?? I need help with this one.

A 12 PB wouldn't be bad except they're damn expensive. Refurbs for about $1000. Thats to high, IMO, for a g4 computer.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm waiting as well. Came across Anand article that claims that merom and yonah can run on same motherboard. Does that mean that current MBPs could be upgraded to merom when available? If so I'm ready now.

That would be great!! But I would need solid proof of that before I went out and bought a MBP. I would be damn pissed if I couldnt upgrade. Even if you could upgrade, how would you get it done? Apple wouldn't do it I'm guessing. You don't want me to open a laptop and start ripping stuff out and putting stuff in. I would really fcuk sh!t up LOL. I would have pieces on the floor, all over the table, and I would definitly have left over screws, washers, and little pieces of metal and plastic lol.

To your other comment, I do agree that it's way to much money for a g4, If I could find a used one for cheap or even find a PC laptop to hold me over I would be ok with that. But I really don't know if it's possible.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

That would be great!! But I would need solid proof of that before I went out and bought a MBP. I would be damn pissed if I couldnt upgrade. Even if you could upgrade, how would you get it done? Apple wouldn't do it I'm guessing. You don't want me to open a laptop and start ripping stuff out and putting stuff in. I would really fcuk sh!t up LOL. I would have pieces on the floor, all over the table, and I would definitly have left over screws, washers, and little pieces of metal and plastic lol.

To your other comment, I do agree that it's way to much money for a g4, If I could find a used one for cheap or even find a PC laptop to hold me over I would be ok with that. But I really don't know if it's possible.

No problem getting a cheap pc laptop. Go to dell and get a core duo laptop for about $750. Thats why I won't pay $1000 for a 12in PB refurb.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Seeing as how the CPU is hard soldered to the main ligic board, I would say no?

Now, the iMac & Mac mini are both socketed, which means those units could (in theory) have their Core series CPUs swapped out for new Core2 series CPUs?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

No problem getting a cheap pc laptop. Go to dell and get a core duo laptop for about $750. Thats why I won't pay $1000 for a 12in PB refurb.

hmmm...A little more then I wanted to spend, just because what the hell am I going to do with it when I get the MBP, but I'll check them out.

random question time lol...When do you guys think the 64 bit chips will make it into the MBPs? Jobs is moving the chip fast it looks like right now, would you say by the end of the summer, or more like christmas season?