Japanese eMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need to know if the eMac that is sold in Japan is the same as the eMac sold in the states, other than the fact that all the text is in Japanese. I have a PC friend that has decided to buy an eMac and I am hoping that all I will have to do is format the hard drive and reload an english version of MacOSX. I was also wondering if I could just download some kind of english plug in to turn the text to english instead of reloading the OS. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    All versions of Mac OS X should at least have English support built-in. It's in the System Preferences under International. All you need to do is change the language, script, keyboard layouts, etc.

I think there may have been an issue with a few 'second tier' languages not being available with the retail box of OS X but those should be downloadable anyway.

Here's a page you might want, but you likely do not need it since you want to go from Japanese to English.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120063"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120063</a>;

The Japanese eMac is probably no different except for the little things like the languag on the box and the power adapter and stuff like that...

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    You will not have to reload the operating system or download any plug-in.

All you have to do is go to System Preferences, click on the International icon (the flag), and change the default language to English.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I appriciate it. I will go down to the store today and mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The eMac sold in Japan has a Japanese keyboard. This has both Japanese kana characters and the roman character set we use in the US. The only problem wih this is that some of the keys are relocated (shift, return, colon, parens, and some others). If you are used to a US keyboard it is a little difficult to get used to. On the other hand, you can probably find a US keyboard for a Mac somewhere.

I bought a G4 in Japan with OS X installed. English was also available from the System Preferences as explained above. Even after changing to English I noticed a few prompts still come up in Japanese. I think the login menu still came up in Japanese. Anyway, nothing you can't manage easily.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I believe you can change the login screen language from TinkerTool.