Apple's MacBook, iPod changes due later this month

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer's highly anticipated line of Intel-based MacBook consumer notebooks may not turn up on Tuesday as several online reports and analysts have suggested, AppleInsider has learned.

Although Apple reportedly began manufacturing the notebooks over a week ago, sources say the Mac maker is unlikely to unveil the computers until the following week at the earliest.

The 13-inch widescreen notebooks will reportedly arrive in tandem with changes to the company's iPod line. However, precisely which versions of Apple's iPod will see such changes is unclear at this time.

Supply and demand data recently seen by AppleInsider suggests that all of the company's iPod models have either reached, or will soon reach, an overall supply and demand balance.

Based on data from the company's US-based distribution partners, demand for iPods has softened considerably over the last few weeks, with the exception of a small uptick in demand for the 30GB fifth-generation iPod and the iPod shuffle.

However, evidence that suggests an increase in iPod shuffle demand could be a result of some channel refill, as noted by Wedbush Morgan Securities analysts last week.

While some reports have suggested that Apple's MacBook was due to arrive at times much earlier in the year, those reports are incorrect, sources have told AppleInsider. At no time did Apple ever anticipate launching an Intel version of its consumer notebook line before the month of April, those sources have said.

On Monday, the first of the company's 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebooks began arriving US customer's hands. The notebooks went into production last week, shipping out of Shanghai, China this past friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Say it with me now as we collectively slide our wallets back into our pockets:

"Figures."
  • Reply 2 of 61
    FIGURES.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    It makes sense since there has been no invitation from Apple to the unveiling of the MacBooks and I refuse to believe that Apple would release such an important (and redesigned) product without an Apple Special Event.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    evanslsevansls Posts: 12member
    Then what about the claims about Apple stores receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th that macrumors.com reported?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    They're giant cloth displays that say 'GOTCHA!!'
  • Reply 6 of 61
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

They're giant cloth displays that say 'GOTCHA!!'

A redesigned Mac, especially one as crucial as the iBook/MacBook is going to have a Stevenote and all that goes along with it. No way is it coming out like the MBP 17".

Now the question is: will the MacBook come out the same day as the Central Park Apple Store's grand opening? It'd be quite a day if he did the intro right there!
  • Reply 7 of 61
    I'm pretty sure they're displays for the new 17" MacBook Pros that just arrived.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    evanslsevansls Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evansls

Then what about the claims about Apple stores receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th that macrumors.com reported?

AppleInsider reported this as well:

http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...Id=45540&s=300
  • Reply 9 of 61
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Has ThinkSecret been right about anything lately?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Well, to me, it's no more than logical we won't see a Macbook untill Intel drops the prices on the Core Duos....
  • Reply 11 of 61
    davey-nbdavey-nb Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evansls

It's promo material for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Special Edition iPod. It's out tomorrow.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    andrewjnycandrewjnyc Posts: 32member
    This kind of sucks, since I'm torn between waiting for a Macbook and buying a 17" MacBook Pro--the Macbook specs are really the deciding factor. Amazon has a $150 rebate on 17"ers purchased through the end of day tomorrow, and without the rebate it would be a lot harder for me to justify going with the MBP. I was hoping we'd learn the specs tomorrow, since that would make the whole thing much easier for me to sort out. Oh well...
  • Reply 13 of 61
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

This kind of sucks, since I'm torn between waiting for a Macbook and buying a 17" MacBook Pro--the Macbook specs are really the deciding factor. Amazon has a $150 rebate on 17"ers purchased through the end of day tomorrow, and without the rebate it would be a lot harder for me to justify going with the MBP. I was hoping we'd learn the specs tomorrow, since that would make the whole thing much easier for me to sort out. Oh well...

The MacBook is probably going to look unspeakably cool. But it won't match the MacBook Pro for performance, not until Merom or "Core 2 Duo" as it's to be called comes out from Intel.

Those rebates are always tempting, but personally I'd wait to see both of them out and then maybe even hold out for the 64 bit Core 2 processor. Depends on how urgent your need is. Otherwise the 17" Pro is certainly a machine with some serious legs.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."
  • Reply 15 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Say it with me now as we collectively slide our wallets back into our pockets:

"Figures."

Mother f@%$ing figures.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    saleskisaleski Posts: 17member
    maybe that new 12" powerbook I saw on ebay is now looking like a suitable machine for the short term ?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It'd be cool if Steve himself dropped the Macbook at the NYC opening on the 19th in front of 6 million flying shutters going off at him, while he was holding it above his head as if it were the head of a lion that he had battled to the death.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by saleski

maybe that new 12" powerbook I saw on ebay is now looking like a suitable machine for the short term ?

sure, for the next 3 weeks
  • Reply 19 of 61
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by saleski

Go for it. It is still a respectable machine in its class.

And the formfactor is pretty priceless.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."

Spoken like a true AppleInsider or at the very least like a "investment analyst".