Apple's MacBook, iPod changes due later this month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

While some reports have suggested that Apple's MacBook was due to arrive at times much earlier in the year, those reports are incorrect, sources have told AppleInsider.

So since the MacBook has not been released you need sources to tell you that in fact they have not been released? This is a little obvious isn't it?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

It'd be cool if Steve himself dropped the Macbook at the NYC opening on the 19th in front of 6 million flying shutters going off at him, while he was holding it above his head as if it were the head of a lion that he had battled to the death.

That's an interesting idea. When they introduced the mini and the iPod stereo it seemed a bit silly to have a press event. But if Jobs cut the ribbon on the new store, and at the same time introduced the MacBook and maybe even a new iPod, that would be worth it.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I want a new macbook accompanied with a video with Jonathan Ive explaining how they went through some serious design faces. Long time ago since Ive was talking to us.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

So since the MacBook has not been released you need sources to tell you that in fact they have not been released? This is a little obvious isn't it?

They're referring to this:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly2.html

...which says near the end:

"While hardware release dates are often subject to last-minute change, sources' reports of an announcement Tuesday suggest that the long-awaited 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook is finally ready to ship. The release was first slated for January, then March, then April or May."

They're you-know-what-ing on the competition.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member

Read before post. Aiee.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    As usual, with Apple, expect the unexpected.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

As usual, with Apple, expect the unexpected.

A 10-inch tablet (sans keyboard) that runs OS X and lets you watch movies, surf the 'net, and read e-mail? From the iPod division?

Cool!
  • Reply 29 of 61
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Perhaps Apple knew Nintendo was going to steal the tech spotlight for a little while, so they decided to wait a bit before announcing their new consumer products. Ehhh?
  • Reply 30 of 61
    mrkrismrkris Posts: 10member
    I am actually optimistic at this point. The retail stores recieved something to not open tomorrow, so one way or another some thing/newspiece will release tomorrow. Now, I am no Mac expert (i am a soon-to-be switcher, who has followed Apple for years), but I have yet to find a keynote where an iPod-related AND a desktop/laptop release. While the MacBook will be huge, Apple is still very much more well known for their iPod. My guess is that we very well may see a low-keyed MacBook release now and then see Jobs make a keynote - possibly overview the MacBook, possibly give early stats on how its sold at that point - and then release a sagnificant iPod update. Since this is a retail store, an iPod release will help get people in the door - Mac or Windows users. If the MacBook is released now, by then it will be well established and ready for showcasing next to a new iPod announcement. However, I could very well be wrong. The box could be just a price reductions on the current iBook or iPod. So, we will all await and see.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    G5 POWERBOOKS ON TUESDAY!!!

I had to do it. LMAO ::evil grin::
  • Reply 32 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrkris

Now, I am no Mac expert (i am a soon-to-be switcher, who has followed Apple for years), but I have yet to find a keynote where an iPod-related AND a desktop/laptop release.

MWSF05: Mac mini/ iPod shuffle

Special event, October 2005: iMacG5 iSight / 5G iPod (video)

And this is last year.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."

Well, yes and no. We never really explicitly stated anything for Tuesday. We remarked there was a possibility, but our reports maintained the MacBook was on the verge of arriving "this month."

I'll be honest, it's very hard to nail down precise dates given how secretive Apple is and how often they change schedules on a whim. We try our best. I hope to have an update on the MacBook schedule for you guys very soon. Sorry I don't have anything more right now.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 34 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Well, yes and no. We never really explicitly stated anything for Tuesday. We remarked there was a possibility, but our reports maintained the MacBook was on the verge of arriving "this month."

I'll be honest, it's very hard to nail down precise dates given how secretive Apple is and how often they change schedules on a whim. We try our best. I hope to have an update on the MacBook schedule for you guys very soon. Sorry I don't have anything more right now.

Best,

Kasper

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the MacBooks will arrive in conjunction with the opening of the Central Park Cube (i'd say that will be the 23rd of May)
  • Reply 35 of 61
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the MacBooks will arrive in conjunction with the opening of the Central Park Cube (i'd say that will be the 23rd of May)

That has been a running rumor for a while, behind the scenes. But unless the store opens on a weekday (not including Friday), it's almost impossible. It's all about getting the right media coverage for the new products and that won't happen over the weekend.

Best,

K
  • Reply 36 of 61
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evansls

AppleInsider reported this as well:

http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...Id=45540&s=300

And they pulled it immediately. It means nothing, Apple has been using that exact invite, word for word, for the last few months. Nothing today.

Quote:

So, to paraphrase this article, "sometime, someday Apple will release an Intel version of the iBook and new iPods. And everything we told you about them earlier may or may not be correct (or not)."

I read it more as "ignore Think Secret, they're a bunch of idiots". I'd rather have vague rumors than completely wrong ones.

Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

No, it means simply that the MB was originally planned to be announced around now. People have the impression that it's somehow late, that it was supposed to ship months ago. But that's just a wrong impression given by all the false predictions of an earlier release from TS and other sites.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Best,

Kasper

Remember folks this is a rumours site. If AppleInsider knew stuff for a fact like Apple release schedules, Apple would probably have them shut down or cut somebody's nuts off internally.

Does anyone know what was actually in those 'do not open until...' packages after all??
  • Reply 38 of 61
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

I'd rather have vague rumors than completely wrong ones.

I guess. It's just that completely content-less articles seem kind of silly for everyone except AppleInsider's advertising hitcount. Anyone could have written that AppleInsider article-- it contained even less content than the "analysts" predictions. Of course Apple is going to release an Intel-based iBook someday, and I'm sure at some point new iPods will be introduced.

That's not to say I dislike AppleInsider's articles in general-- I love the site. I just think that particular article was kind of pointless. I guess a less toungue-in-cheek summary would have read, "Apple's MacBooks are not expected Tuesday." Much more to the point.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

MWSF05: Mac mini/ iPod shuffle

Special event, October 2005: iMacG5 iSight / 5G iPod (video)

And this is last year.

haha, yeah, actually after i wrote that, the recent Hifi/IntelMini announcement came to mind. Even though it wasn't an iPod it was Pod-related. But, who knows, one would think that Jobs is way past "mulling" on a NY appearence.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

I guess. It's just that completely content-less articles seem kind of silly for everyone except AppleInsider's advertising hitcount. Anyone could have written that AppleInsider article-- it contained even less content than the "analysts" predictions. Of course Apple is going to release an Intel-based iBook someday, and I'm sure at some point new iPods will be introduced.

That's not to say I dislike AppleInsider's articles in general-- I love the site. I just think that particular article was kind of pointless. I guess a less toungue-in-cheek summary would have read, "Apple's MacBooks are not expected Tuesday." Much more to the point.

Yeah, the headline seemed to suggest that Appleinsider never reported or thought the release was going to happen today. "MacBook, iPod Changes Due Later This Month" as if the previous reports didn't exist. Something with "correction" before it would have been nice. Although, I doubt they are certain either way. Unless i missed something - and I know that ThinkSecret is usually retareded, but when they broke the story about today being 'MacBook Day', it started with the words "AppleInsider reports." The day is merely halfway over, so anything is still possible.