Waste of money at this point?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    maccabeamaccabea Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm waiting as well. Came across Anand article that claims that merom and yonah can run on same motherboard. Does that mean that current MBPs could be upgraded to merom when available? If so I'm ready now.

i'm VERY interested in that information also. i'm most likely still buying the MBP this month. if i could upgrade the processor in my MBP next year or so, that would be great. i can't see myself cooped up inside all summer on my old PC desktop while i could be out on the porch on my beautiful mac
  • Reply 42 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Sorry guys MBPs CPU is soldered on. It's the intel mac mini and imacs cpu that is changable and people have done it too.

There's a guy on another board who runs motion on his 2.16ghz mini.

But it looks like they won't do that with portables, too bad.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Actually, very good.

So no one could FUD the masses with overheated MBPs buring holes through someones lap.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Sorry guys MBPs CPU is soldered on. It's the intel mac mini and imacs cpu that is changable and people have done it too.

There's a guy on another board who runs motion on his 2.16ghz mini.

But it looks like they won't do that with portables, too bad.

Bummer.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Buy now. Any incremental speed bumps that occur in the near future will be almost invisible to the average user. Yeah, you might save a couple of minutes a week. Big deal. Buy now and get some work done. You can always sell next year and get a really good price for your one-year-old.

A well-planned work-flow (on and off the computer) will save you far more time than a slightly faster CPU, and lots of money, too, probably enough to buy another computer next year even if you don't immeditately sell this one. If there are lengthy, CPU-hungry tasks such as burning disk-images that you can set at night while you sleep, do so. Learn to use Automator and how to schedule when the computer should sleep, etc.

For the college student: there are threads discussing your topic. Do a quick scan of the threads and you will find several people in the same position as you, as well as length and good discussion on what to buy and when.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

Yeah, I just did some thinking. If I could find a 12" PB or maybe even a iBook . . .

Buy one on eBay, and then sell it on eBay once you're done. It will probably cost you less than $100, net.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Buy one on eBay, and then sell it on eBay once you're done. It will probably cost you less than $100, net.

yeah I guess i could do that. I'll see how much they are going for on ebay and see what I can do.

Does anyone know when the 64 bit chips will make it into the MBP's?? Around the end of summer, or more like the christmas season?
  • Reply 48 of 48
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta Does anyone know when the 64 bit chips will make it into the MBP's?? Around the end of summer, or more like the christmas season?

Merom (64 bit) comes out in August, so it might show up in a MBP by September or October at the latest. I would wait for Merom.