Which pioneer drive allows Dual Layer burning in OSX?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a G4 dual 450 1.25GB / 120GB OSX 10.4.6 and was looking to replace the internal (flashed) 106D pioneer for a dual layer drive. can anyone recommend for me the entry level pioneer internal drive that allows dual layer burning in OSX (without resorting to something like patchburn)?

If there isn't a pioneer model then can anyone recommend something similar from NEC, Sony etc?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

Hi,

I have a G4 dual 450 1.25GB / 120GB OSX 10.4.6 and was looking to replace the internal (flashed) 106D pioneer for a dual layer drive. can anyone recommend for me the entry level pioneer internal drive that allows dual layer burning in OSX (without resorting to something like patchburn)?

If there isn't a pioneer model then can anyone recommend something similar from NEC, Sony etc?

thanx

What's wrong with using Patchburn?

My suggestion is to choose a Pioneer drive that you'd like, then do a google search to see if people are using it with OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi,

I'm not really sure if patchburn is a problem or not. All I know is that I used to have a 107 and used patchburn and found it to be really unreliable. When I gave it to a mate he stuck it in his athlon and said it ran like a dream - no coasters! So I just assumed that there must be something wrong with patchburn? I put a 106D in my g4 instead because I found a site that had a mac based flash kit for it to work without using patch burn and this drive has been fantastic ever since.

I've looked on a few web sites but am becoming more and more confused. A lot of the drive reviews say dual layer but then when I read on some of them say Dual layer reading but not recording. I was just wondering if anyone had a definitive list of the pioneers that definitely do dual layer recording under macosX

thanx
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Try looking through the database http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

It's pretty useful, although it's not a straight list of DLs and not DLs it does have a good range of user experience.

-t