Does PowerBook support Quartz Extreme?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's QE website says it needs an AGP-based Radeon GPU. Does this exclude the PowerBook because it's not AGP? I think I'm going to buy one in the next few days, but I want to know this for sure before I do. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The Powerbook is AGP 4X.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html</a>;

[edit]

It will be interesting to see how QE performs on the Powerbook. I don't like to tax the graphics card too much because it's one of the few things that sets off the high-power fan. I wonder if, with QE active, the fan will be on more than usual.

I'm just hoping QE is not necessary.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: BRussell ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    You're asking about the current Powerbooks? They do support QE. From the tech specs page:

[quote]

Built-in 2D/3D graphics acceleration through an integrated ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 32MB of DDR SDRAM video memory

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nolelinoleli Posts: 29member
    Thanks. I should learn to read more carefully.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    What about a 550 mhz TiPB I bought 6 months ago?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I don't think that it will set off the fan. It's only the windowing system. If it does start setting off the fan, I'm sure that you could disable a lot of the eye-candy to lower the load. Maybe you can have the option of disabling Quartz Extreme? There have to be some people here that have Jaguar builds that can tell us how much it taxes the video card.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]What about a 550 mhz TiPB I bought 6 months ago?<hr></blockquote>

Yup. It had the 16MB Radeon that's in the iBook now; 16MB is the minimum required (32 recommended). I believe it was 4x AGP as well.