PowerBook DVI Airport reception

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've heard that they improved it in the DVI models, but I haven't heard much. Can anyone tell me if it is improved by that much? And how good it is. I'm buying a PowerBook and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to buy airport in the bundle (I will get a discount) or to get a 3rd party 802.11b card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    The airport reception is very good. I cannot say that it is an improvement as this is my first powerbook. Sometimes the reception drops to 2 bars but usuaully it is full reception!

Airport is indeed worth it!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I setup a WI/FI network in the house that I'm staying at. One of my housemates has a new PB 800 DVI and the other a Compaq Presario 1700, for which we purchased a D-Link wireless card, and I have to say, the Airport in the Powerbook gets much better reception than the Compaq/D-Link.

Hope that helps a little.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>I've heard that they improved it in the DVI models, but I haven't heard much. Can anyone tell me if it is improved by that much? And how good it is. I'm buying a PowerBook and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to buy airport in the bundle (I will get a discount) or to get a 3rd party 802.11b card.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just sold my original 500 for a DVI, haven't gotten it yet...but the reception in the 500 was "good enough" to begin with. Not what I got from my old Pismo, but fine for walking around the house. That said, standing right next to our new iMac one floor down from our base station, the PowerBook always had fewer bars lit up.

The other thing to consider is that if you're a student, as so many of us are these days here on the AI boards, AirPort is a disaster in a dorm situation; it worked fine in my room, but as soon as I took a step outside...nada. Apparently AirPort and cinderblock walls don't get along so much.

But it's a wonderful technology and a great freedom to have...not to mention the look on people's faces when you start surfing the net without wires - even though the technology isn't new anymore, it always seems to impress.

-S

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>

I just sold my original 500 for a DVI, haven't gotten it yet...but the reception in the 500 was "good enough" to begin with. Not what I got from my old Pismo, but fine for walking around the house. That said, standing right next to our new iMac one floor down from our base station, the PowerBook always had fewer bars lit up.

The other thing to consider is that if you're a student, as so many of us are these days here on the AI boards, AirPort is a disaster in a dorm situation; it worked fine in my room, but as soon as I took a step outside...nada. Apparently AirPort and cinderblock walls don't get along so much.

But it's a wonderful technology and a great freedom to have...not to mention the look on people's faces when you start surfing the net without wires - even though the technology isn't new anymore, it always seems to impress.

-S

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not dorming this year. It's an apartment. I know what you mean with the cinderblocks though, my freshman year you had to go outside to get cellphone reception. I wouldn't expect that to run there.

I have 802.11b at home, and in the apartment this fall I dunno if we'll have it or not, but being

able to browse the web in the basement while watching TV on the big screen will be cool. I heard that you can get better reception with the skyline. So I'm asking here to see how bad the airport reception really is. The airport will cost me $79 with the TiBook verses $119 for the skyline.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I've had a DVI TiBook running in a 1200 sq ft bungalow and not had any reception problems. Same thing taking it downstairs one floor - through a concrete floor (almost right under the base station, though).

Even got on the deck without a hitch. In my use, I'd say I saw an easy 1-2 bar improvement in rooms furthest away from the station. I got 2/5 bars in a far bedroom with a 550 MHz Ti, and 4/5 with a 667 DVI. It has improved over previous models IMHO, but it's still not as good as the iBook.

As an example, while I had no problems with the Ti Book in the house or deck, my iBook killed it. The first time I fired it up, I actually thought I did something wrong, as a name I didn't recognize showed up. With the iBook I could get onto 2 nearby open networks easily, that the TiBook couldn't even see. I was pretty shocked.

Depends on the use of course. If you were going to try accessing it from a neighbor's house a few doors down, you'd need an iBook. But if you're trying to use it within reason (large house, apartment, a few doors away from your dorm room, whatever) it shouldn't be a problem. You'll love it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I've had a DVI TiBook running in a 1200 sq ft bungalow and not had any reception problems. Same thing taking it downstairs one floor - through a concrete floor (almost right under the base station, though).

Even got on the deck without a hitch. In my use, I'd say I saw an easy 1-2 bar improvement in rooms furthest away from the station. I got 2/5 bars in a far bedroom with a 550 MHz Ti, and 4/5 with a 667 DVI. It has improved over previous models IMHO, but it's still not as good as the iBook.

As an example, while I had no problems with the Ti Book in the house or deck, my iBook killed it. The first time I fired it up, I actually thought I did something wrong, as a name I didn't recognize showed up. With the iBook I could get onto 2 nearby open networks easily, that the TiBook couldn't even see. I was pretty shocked.

Depends on the use of course. If you were going to try accessing it from a neighbor's house a few doors down, you'd need an iBook. But if you're trying to use it within reason (large house, apartment, a few doors away from your dorm room, whatever) it shouldn't be a problem. You'll love it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I want to use it from the neighbor I'll look at getting one of those cat5-to-wireless things and beefing it up with some antannas from Orinoco.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I just bought airport for my iBook (500) and love it. I have it next to a beige desktop (old).

I cannot seem to get 30 feet away successfully. Does it really matter where the base station is?

I think AI is great, and appreciate all who post!

Sincerely,

Dr. Ledgard
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by hledgard:

<strong>I just bought airport for my iBook (500) and love it. I have it next to a beige desktop (old).

I cannot seem to get 30 feet away successfully. Does it really matter where the base station is?

I think AI is great, and appreciate all who post!

Sincerely,

Dr. Ledgard</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thick concrete walls, or lots of metal in the walls could affect this if you are trying to go through walls.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    kishbakishba Posts: 2member
    i just got my 800 dvi powerbook and the recption is just as good as my pismo so far (although the only times i go outside my house with it i'm within 50 feet of the base station)

i think the key to my good reception has been the placement of my base station... it's mounted near the ceiling in the middle of my house... i have all 5 airport bars from anywhere in the house

i should also mention this is with a graphite base station... the newest base stations provide a stronger signal supposedly
  • Reply 10 of 12
    calcal Posts: 17member
    I had a PowerBook G4/500 and recently upgraded to the DVI model. The reception is significantly better as I can now get reception in almost anywhere in my house where previously I could only get reception in certain rooms.

The new DVI PowerBook's range should be sufficient for most users needs.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I can't help but think you guys are exaggerating. I have a graphite AirPort basestation on the floor in a hallway and my sister barely gets reception in her room at the end of the hall about 30 feet away around a corner. She has to aim one of the windows on the side of the PowerBook toward the base to get decent reception.

My other sister has a Netgear MA401 and a VAIO laptop and gets slightly better reception. My other sister has a Pismo and I remember it getting the best reception of all.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Sorry to side with the optimists eugune but...

My 667 DVI has fine airport reception, even when i go to the floor above my base station it's fine, just to test for the thread though, i took a co-workers iBook up with me and they both showed about the same reception strength.

dude, go ahead and buy the DVI PB, you'll not be sorry

[quote] <hr></blockquote>