Emulators on Intel Macs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all, as a potential switcher (waiting for the Intel iBooks/MacBooks to test the waters) I have a few questions about emulators.

I'm a fan of MAME and the like, but I haven't been able to find a dual binary version of it. I assume it doesn't exist? How does it run on Intel Macs under Rosetta?

Other emulators seem to be okay, I've seen Intel versions of Genesis, SNES and several others online. Has anyone tried these? (I believe they mostly ported by Richard Banister) I'm used to using PC emus such as SNES9x, KGEN, and Magic Engine.

On the subject of emulation, I'll also be watching Parallels closely, and any win32 API stuff in Leopoard (should the rumours be true). I still have a few windows apps I use a lot, so a complete switch wouldn't be possible quite yet. Bootcamp just doesn't do it for me, I need better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    why doesn't bootcamp work for you?

It runs the full version of XP. Or, is it the reboot?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

The windows app I use the most is 3DS Max, so I'd end up in Win XP a lot of time. Would make switching rather pointless.

The day I can run it from the Mac OS desktop, be that through Parallels or something else, is the day I switch.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I installed Boot Camp upon release and Parallels the next day. I am not a gamer, so why reboot? I have never used Boot Camp since I have installed Parallels. I am sure that I am one of many who have done the same. The only reasons I can see for using Boot Camp are:

1) Need for graphics speed

2) Need for hardware support that Paralles hasn't yet completed. (iffy USB support, etc.)

I am sure that there are other reasons to us Boot Camp, but I will be surprised if I ever use it again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I was wondering what is the best Super Nintendo emulator for macs?

I was checking this one out --> http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/SNESX.shtml, but I wanted to see what you guys think... has anyone used it? is it good? or are there better ones?

thanks for any info you guys can give me!