News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer next week will hold a special briefing in New York City for analysts and members of the media ahead of the launch of its latest flagship retail store, AppleInsider has learned.



The event is scheduled for Thursday, May 18th at 10am ET, the day before the Mac maker will open a new 20,000-square-foot retail store at 767 Fifth Avenue at 59th Street in Midtown, Manhattan.



In the invites to the event, Apple welcomed analysts and members of the media to preview the new flagship retail location ahead of its grand opening the following evening, but did not hint at any product introductions.



The event appears to be extremely limited in terms of attendance.



Previous reports had indicated that several high-level Apple executives, possibly including chief executive Steve Jobs, are planning to make the trip the Big City in order to usher in the new retail store.



Reliable sources have also pegged next week as a time when Apple is most likely to unveil new products, which may include the much anticipated Intel-based MacBook consumer notebooks and changes to the company's iPod line of digital music players.



However, these sources have recently indicated that the new MacBook could see an announcement without much fanfare sometime earlier in the week. It's unclear precisely when the notebooks would actually begin shipping to customers.



Apple began manufacturing the computers at its manufacturing facilities in the Far East about two weeks ago.
«13456711

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 210
    I daren't say it.

























    MacBook?
  • Reply 2 of 210
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    at the 5th av. store?????





    Wow!



    Steve wanted Macworld to go to NYC perhaps 20,000 sq ft gives him a large platform for a big media event.



    What size is the apple campus auditorium?





  • Reply 3 of 210
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 916member
    I think Steve J is more than ready to release the MacBook -as well as a new iPod and maybe even something we haven't thought of.



    Just makes sense in order to get sales moving again, as well as addressing the education market.
  • Reply 4 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

    I daren't say it.

























    MacBook?




    Oh, dare.... Dare away.... I think though that the MacBook will finally happen. And that is the day that it will happen.



    YEA!!! MacBook!!
  • Reply 5 of 210
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Dare I say... iPhone.



  • Reply 6 of 210
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I think it's just for the store. BUT I still predict new MacBooks will come on Tuesday
  • Reply 7 of 210
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    I had heard a rumor that Steve was planning a trip to the Far East. From a Californian's point of view, New York IS the Far East, so the rumor is true.



    If you hear he's going to the Middle East, look for him in Chicago. Near East -> Vegas.
  • Reply 8 of 210
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.



    I think that Apple feel burned by the negative reaction from the iPod HiFi media event. They probably think that people might react like "Apple lured us all here for a thinner iBook with a camera, Intel, integrated graphics and $100 increase in price???" Let's face it, that is HOW you people are going to react.



    Therefore, I would wager they will do a quiet Tuesday release with the requisite press release.



    By the way, the knee-jerk "NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS" thing is quickly becoming this generation's "NO MORE ONE BUTTON MOUSE." 99.9% of you would NEVER know the difference, and the 0.1% that would can bloody get the higher level notebook (you may have heard of the MacBook Pro?).



    End rant A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.
  • Reply 9 of 210
    boogabooga Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    By the way, the knee-jerk "NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS" thing is quickly becoming this generation's "NO MORE ONE BUTTON MOUSE." 99.9% of you would NEVER know the difference, and the 0.1% that would can bloody get the higher level notebook (you may have heard of the MacBook Pro?).



    Actually, I'd vastly prefer a Mac laptop with integrated Intel graphics and 2 buttons (actually, 1 MightyMouse-like button pad) than a laptop with dedicated graphics and 1 button. But really, as long as I'm asking, I'd like both.



    And a G5 PowerBook with integrated iPhone dock and FireWire 1600 ports.
  • Reply 10 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    [B]The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.



    I think that Apple feel burned by the negative reaction from the iPod HiFi media event. They probably think that people might react like "Apple lured us all here for a thinner iBook with a camera, Intel, integrated graphics and $100 increase in price???" Let's face it, that is HOW you people are going to react.



    I don't think Apple was burned. It was the press that was burned.



    Apple has to limit their announcements to actual events, not to minor announcements. They should do what most other companies do: release products when they are ready. Not hold them back for events. Apple's stock is on a roller coaster now because of that.



    They also lose sales days because they are holding back a product that would sell if they just put it out, and sent out a press release.



    If the MacBooks are ready now, then they should be released. I daresay that Apple won't sell even one more, if they wait for some event to announce them, and they lose those sales for the quarter.
  • Reply 11 of 210
    pbrpbr Posts: 24member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    The article says the invitation is "very limited" -- that doesn't sound right for a big huge MacBook announcement.



    I think that Apple feel burned by the negative reaction from the iPod HiFi media event. They probably think that people might react like "Apple lured us all here for a thinner iBook with a camera, Intel, integrated graphics and $100 increase in price???" Let's face it, that is HOW you people are going to react.



    Therefore, I would wager they will do a quiet Tuesday release with the requisite press release.



    By the way, the knee-jerk "NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS" thing is quickly becoming this generation's "NO MORE ONE BUTTON MOUSE." 99.9% of you would NEVER know the difference, and the 0.1% that would can bloody get the higher level notebook (you may have heard of the MacBook Pro?).



    End rant A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.




    FULL ACK
  • Reply 12 of 210
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    Yes the press WAS burned, but I said Apple FEELS burned. Who reported on the "disappointment" from the iPod HiFi event? The press. For the most part, they didn't say "we really fucked things up by blowing this all out of proportion!" A lot of it was "God Apple WASTED our time."



    They passed the buck, wrongfully. But Apple may be on the defensive now to make sure it doesn't happen again.



    I think they need to bloody just announce the thing, whether it is ready to ship or not. If it's in production, then the design/specs have been finalized. So I hope they just put out a press release on Tuesday. Then the press on Thursday and the public on Friday can ogle the MacBook in the new store.
  • Reply 13 of 210
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    A $1099 Core Duo MacBook with magsafe, isight, front row... sounds BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, if it's Core Solo, THEN you may commence your bitching.



    The $1099 model will most likely (imho) be Core Solo and integrated graphics -- and Apple will tout the 'battery life' it gets as a selling point, failing to mention that you can shut off a processor in a Duo and get the same result.



    this whole per watt thing sure has crappy battery life.
  • Reply 14 of 210
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sandau

    The $1099 model will most likely (imho) be Core Solo and integrated graphics -- and Apple will tout the 'battery life' it gets as a selling point, failing to mention that you can shut off a processor in a Duo and get the same result.



    this whole per watt thing sure has crappy battery life.




    I am fully prepared for the possibility that the low-end MacBook will be Core Solo. It won't shock me. But it would disappoint me. Is ANYONE else putting out Core Solo laptops? I guess someone is, but I keep seeing all these affordable, low-end Core Duo PC laptops being introduced. I feel like NO one is interested in the Core Solo (leave it for a UMPC or something).



    Apple can make the MacBooks Core Duo, and the MacBook Pro revisions Core 2 Duo (whenever they come out, what, sometime in early autumn?). I hope Apple doesn't make the MacBook Core Solo simply to differentiate the consumer from the pro lines. That would be WICKED lame.
  • Reply 15 of 210
    banjobanjo Posts: 24member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    That would be WICKED lame.



    Naturally...
  • Reply 16 of 210
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sandau

    The $1099 model will most likely (imho) be Core Solo and integrated graphics -- and Apple will tout the 'battery life' it gets as a selling point, failing to mention that you can shut off a processor in a Duo and get the same result.



    this whole per watt thing sure has crappy battery life.




    That would be a mistake. One can easily purchase a core DUO laptop at dell for $750. I configured one with a graphics card for $1200. Apple can and should release a Macbook with a 1.66 ghz Core duo and intergrated graphics for $999.
  • Reply 17 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

    I daren't say it.





    Oh you really wanted to say something else.

    I'll say it for you.....FIRST POST!



















    MacBook?




  • Reply 18 of 210
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    That would be a mistake. One can easily purchase a core DUO laptop at dell for $750. I configured one with a graphics card for $1200. Apple can and should release a Macbook with a 1.66 ghz Core duo and intergrated graphics for $999.



    I am making it my JOB to play "expectations manager" here.



    EXPECT $1099/$1399. iSight + more expensive chip + new design + early adopter premium = $100 premium. Plus maybe a larger hard drive and more RAM. $100 increase doesn't seem so bad for all that, does it?



    My gut says the entry level model will be $1099 Core Duo with integrated graphics. You will see the price drop back to $999/$1299 when the MacBook Pro is revised with Core 2 Duo. At that time, you may also see dedicated graphics because the MacBook Pro will have faster chip to differentiate the lines.
  • Reply 19 of 210
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Maybe Bono and crew will play a few songs on top of the cube while Woz zips around it with his Segway polo team. Then all we need are some dancing monkeys (mossberg and press) with cymbals crashing as the faithful pour into the depths of the store grabbing at macbooks and ipods.
  • Reply 20 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thataboy

    Yes the press WAS burned, but I said Apple FEELS burned. Who reported on the "disappointment" from the iPod HiFi event? The press. For the most part, they didn't say "we really fucked things up by blowing this all out of proportion!" A lot of it was "God Apple WASTED our time."



    They passed the buck, wrongfully. But Apple may be on the defensive now to make sure it doesn't happen again.



    I think they need to bloody just announce the thing, whether it is ready to ship or not. If it's in production, then the design/specs have been finalized. So I hope they just put out a press release on Tuesday. Then the press on Thursday and the public on Friday can ogle the MacBook in the new store.




    It was entirely Apple's fault. When a spokesperson releases a press release to the media about a new product, the media doesn't get all excited about it in advance, because they expect something major from the company. When Apple holds a press event, it is telling them that there is something major here, so we want you to attend. The press then has to get an airline ticket from wherever they are, possibly reserve a hotel room, etc, to attend an event which turns out to have been better suited to a simple press release.



    I don't blame them for being upset. This damages Apple's credibility. It's the boy who called wolf. We all know about that story.



    If Apple is calling an event here for the new store, it had better be something big. While the store is important, it certainly doesn't rank a press event. I'm not even sure that I'll go.



    If they use it to intro other major products, that's different. A series of MacBooks as well would count, possibly. If a new iPod was there as well, then it certainly would.



    But, not for a store opening, even here, not any more.
Sign In or Register to comment.