Which application can I use to create flyer?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited July 2014
Hi,

I'd like to know which application is the best to create some hotels flyer?

thank you

sev

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by severine26

Hi,

I'd like to know which application is the best to create some hotels flyer?

thank you

sev

For drag and drop simplicity and premade templates, you can't beat Pages.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I second that.

Pages is directly linked to iPhoto, so any photos you take of the hotels come up directly in Pages, where you can then mask them very easily.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There actually is a Print Shop for Mac, and it's quite good.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Are you going to be creating flyers that are going to be printed by a commercial printer or are you just creating a flyer to copy at Kinko's?

I would say if you are creating just the occasional flyer or letterhead then Pages or PrintShop would be fine but if you are planning on producing pieces that you are going to have printed by a commercial printer then I would recommend Quark Xpress or InDesign.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

Are you going to be creating flyers that are going to be printed by a commercial printer or are you just creating a flyer to copy at Kinko's?

I would say if you are creating just the occasional flyer or letterhead then Pages or PrintShop would be fine but if you are planning on producing pieces that you are going to have printed by a commercial printer then I would recommend Quark Xpress or InDesign.

why does it matter where he's getting it printed? as long as he can save it to a nice press-optimized pdf it doesn't really matter which app was used to create it. pages should be fine for people who don't want to delve into the complicated and expensive world of desktop publishing apps. i use indesign on an hourly basis, but it's not really something i would recommend to people who just need an occassional layout.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I've done several flyers (including the program for my wedding) in Pages, and it rocks. I absolutely adore that program. And as admactanium says, you can export it as a PDF-X for printing.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    admactanium,

Sure it matters where he is getting it printed at. If he is printing it at a commercial printer then time is money and if he has to pay for the printer's prepress department to mess with his files then it is going to cost more money.

Pages is made for home use, it's a consumer level application. No advertising agencies use Pages to create layouts. Why is that? Because Pages isn't a professional level application.

Is he doing "advertising agency" type work or "Kinko's" type work? Ask any prepress person and they will tell you that not all PDF files are created equal. Microsoft Publisher can export PDF files and they are horrible. There are lots of programs that can create PDF files but not all of them will be up to commercial print standards.

So the question is "Do you need a Pro Level Application or a Consumer based application?"
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ok. Does he need a proessional app or a regular app. That is a good question, but one that can only be answered by going to the print shop.

I make various flyers, posters pamphlet and books in my job every month and have them printed. Sometimes I use Pages. Sometimes I use InDesign. My local print shop has no problems with either version, and the final product is very professional with both. He justs asks for everything in PDF, which all Macs can do.

We also now live in a day when lots of companies like to print things in-house for various reasons, one being turn-around. My company also does this. The best results usually depend on which printer you use, not the software. If you then cut to size (which is pretty standard) then you never really know the difference.

He asked what software to use and we recommended Pages for its ease of use, which blows InDesign away. It is also far less expensive and can be taught to more staff members more easily, thus lowering costs and increasing productivity. I taught seven members of my staff how to use Pages yesterday. They had never used a computer for layout before and produced a really nice, 8-page staff magazine using charts, photos and text in under four hours, including printing 180 copies. Try that with InDesign!

Of course, he does not have to take our advice, for it is only that: advice.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

admactanium,

Sure it matters where he is getting it printed at. If he is printing it at a commercial printer then time is money and if he has to pay for the printer's prepress department to mess with his files then it is going to cost more money.

Pages is made for home use, it's a consumer level application. No advertising agencies use Pages to create layouts. Why is that? Because Pages isn't a professional level application.

Is he doing "advertising agency" type work or "Kinko's" type work? Ask any prepress person and they will tell you that not all PDF files are created equal. Microsoft Publisher can export PDF files and they are horrible. There are lots of programs that can create PDF files but not all of them will be up to commercial print standards.

So the question is "Do you need a Pro Level Application or a Consumer based application?"

fair enough. then the question is better asked if you already know what type of pdf's pages produces. pages pdf's might be perfectly fine for some print houses. even if pages pdf export features are lacking, then maybe pages and acrobat distiller are a better option. who knows? i would almost never recommend indesign to people who have no desktop publishing experience. the learning curve on these applications is too steep. i'd venture to guess that it would take most people a few months (if they're lucky and have natural design sense) to get a layout even close to the quality of a standard pages template.

the way i look at it, time is going to have to be spent somewhere. either trying to get a pdf to work that's possibly in the wrong colorspace vs. learning a whole new complicated design app. it takes longer to learn indesign than it does to fix a pdf. also, you're just as likely to have pdf problems using indesign if you don't know what you're doing. the op obviously isn't an experienced designer otherwise it would be a quark vs. indesign argument rather than an open-ended question about designing a flyer.

if you wanted to test the theory you could do this: make a layout in pages and print it out. use a standard template. then give the hardcopy to someone who isn't in graphic design and ask them to replicate it on indesign. see where i'm going with this?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    calle73calle73 Posts: 8member
    I prefer to use Swift publisher!!

It functions more like a regular dtp app than Pages does and it comes with lots of clip art and templates!

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/...r/overview.php
  • Reply 11 of 12
    If you need good clipart, go to www.clipart.com
  • Reply 12 of 12

Check out Lucidpress. They have a great guide for how to make a flyer and great free templates. I highly recommend them.

https://www.lucidpress.com/pages/how-to-make-a-flyer