Recommendations for an alternative to Mail for email?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am continually having problems with the Mail application freezing on start and have been hanging out at the Apple.com discussion boards and none of the fixes have worked.

Anyway, be that as it may, I am curious if anyone has a recommendation to an alternative to Mail?

At this point I've checked out MailSmith, PowerMail, and GyazMail, but find their interfaces missing the simplicity (and single-window) of Mail.

Assuming my continued efforts to fix Mail are futile, Thunderbird is my last-resort alternate. Just curious if anyone has any other recommendations. Thunderbird does exactly what I need it to, but wish it looked more "Mac like".)

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    I don't know about looking "Mac-like" but in my opinion Opera's built-in mail client is the best I have seen. Check out the Opera website, there is a lot of information about the mail client and its amazing features that no mail client in the world has as of now.

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 8
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Thanks...I didn't know Opera had an email client. Will check it out!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

I am continually having problems with the Mail application freezing on start and have been hanging out at the Apple.com discussion boards and none of the fixes have worked.

Anyway, be that as it may, I am curious if anyone has a recommendation to an alternative to Mail?

Mail is sufficiently robust that I suspect something else. Either you have a corrupt installation or your mail settings are incorrect. In either event, replacing Mail with some other client is not likely to solve your problem. The first thing that you should do is to setup a second user and check your mail from an instance of Mail in the new account. If it still has problems, provide this forum with a list of the proper email settings for your ISP. The bottomline is that you don't amputate your arm because you have a splinter in your finger.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My mother had this insane problem with launching Mail, and it turned out to be a particular mail message with malformed HTML that was causing WebKit to blow chunks when the message was viewed. The problem was... that was the message set to be selected, with the preview pane open, on launch. Endless crashing.

If you launch Mail with (I believe) the shift key held down, it puts it into 'safe mode' which does *not* load the mail messages initially. You can then close the preview pane, select offending messages, and delete them.

Unfortunately, just trashing the prefs loses your account info, which can be a pain to rebuild, so this is one way of solving it.

I agree with Mr. Me: don't ditch an entire application because of a singular problem, even if it is repeating, until you know that it is unfixable.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I believe you can download themes for Thunderbird that would make it look more Mac-Like. As far as function goes, you can't beat it. Before Thunderbird I used the Mozilla Suite's mail app, and before that Netscape 7.1's mail app (all the same really).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    mozilla thunderbird
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've used Thunderbird, Mail, and Entourage. I prefer Mail but Thunderbird comes in a close second. Entourage is just OK, and I mostly use it at work to work on the Exchange server. If you have no Exchange needs then pass on Entourage.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

Assuming my continued efforts to fix Mail are futile, Thunderbird is my last-resort alternate. Just curious if anyone has any other recommendations. Thunderbird does exactly what I need it to, but wish it looked more "Mac like".)

Thanks.

Based on your criteria, and considering it's "Free," you may like to have a look at "Balzac?" If so, and since it's "Free," you won't be out anything, you can do so here: Balzac

I would totally recommend "IncrediMail" but, sadly, there isn't currently a version for the Mac .