Report: Softbank and Apple to co-develop iPod phones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikehackman

if the rumors were true about the iPhone, then maybe, just maybe a tablet really is being developed!

The rumours of a large touchscreen that could simulate a click-wheel are equally valid for a numeric keypad on the touchscreen. It certainly solves the ease-of-use problem.

Most 3G phones allow you to browse the web, and to do video calls. A phone that looks something like a full screen iPod-video would essentially be a tablet, in many ways.

Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Apple doesn't want to damage teh sales of their lower end iPods by releasing a cell phone that eliminates the need to carry both.

When apple DOES release a cell phone, whenever that might be (this article gives no clues about that), It will have to be inferior enough to the nano so as not to hurt it's market. Maybe give the nano a touchscreen widescreen with video and that'll work

Hopefully Apple won't try to protect one product from a separate (more popular) product. The cell phone makers are already adding music & video - Apple must react.

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I understand that the odds are stacked against Apple in a mature market, but I think they are missing their ship if they hold out too long. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the number of music playing phones currently in use exceeded that of number of iPods sold. There will always be people that won't buy a dedicated portable audio player, and as a converged device, it has to be competitive with other converged devices, not made subservient to a different product line, because that is a different market.

If Apple goes into the cell-phone business, I'd expect them to aim to be a top cell-phone provider like Nokia. To do that they'd need to be technically great, and amazingly user-friendly - so a partnership with a Japanese group might allow that combination (hopefully they learned from the Motorola issues too!).

If they go down this route I'd expect them to use 8GB flash memory instead of a hard disk - and use the freed-up space for 3G/bluetooth/camera/battery hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    osxuserosxuser Posts: 12member
    Quote:

There is no way that Apple would release a new product in Japan, but not in the US. Give me a break. Have they EVER done that?

Remember the PowerBook 2400c?

Nice computer back then for it's small size. We eventually got it in the US.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Apple was the first computer maker to stop having a floppy-disk - among other firsts.

It would be interesting if Apple was the first cellphone provider to not have a microphone, earpiece, or keypad on their cellular phone.

ie: The only way to talk to someone would be using the "handsfree" headphones.

( Not sure if that would work )
  • Reply 24 of 53
    naterivernateriver Posts: 13member
    Ugh. Vodafone is notorious for featuritus and not-so-sleek design...basically the exact opposite of Apple, just trying to cram in features and attract the 14~18 age bracket. AU has been a bit classier, and Tu-Ka is the most simple. Vodafone for Internet? Maybe, I guess. But in terms of advertising, target group, service, and appeal, I would have chosen AU. After all, if one provides Hi-speed Internet, the others cannot be far behind....
  • Reply 25 of 53
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    If Apple made a phone, I figure it would look similar to Japan's AU Design TALBY (which is NOT functional in the US):

That thing already looks like a nano. If its true they are partnering with a Japanese company, I expect something sexy like this!! They would take the market by storm in both UI and style.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

The cell phone makers are already adding music & video - Apple must react.

Exactly what the fuzz is keeping them!! IMHO they have no choice because the demand for these devices is starting to skyrocket.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "McHuman" Where did you hear about that thing? I hope it has an influence on apple's final iPhone design!

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Now that's just plain stupid. If they come out with a phone that has a memory of 8mb they will be publicly laughed at!!

hehe... Ooops!!!!

Think I better fix that MB/GB error.... damn!
  • Reply 29 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This report is just too odd. It's out of left field.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I'd be inclined to believe something is happening because Mossberg's article yesterday about the Apple end-to-end way vs. Microsoft platform way specifically said Apple is working on a "cell phone and digital hub".

I thought it was odd since the WSJ would not print such a thing unless it was pretty sure it was happening, ... and possibly Mossberg even got clearance from Apple to say so.

So Softbank is a possibility...
  • Reply 31 of 53
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ireland

[B]"McHuman" Where did you hear about that thing? I hope it has an influence on apple's final iPhone design!

I spent time in Japan where I saw them debut. Interesting thing is that it was designed by an american. I fully expect something like this from Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by palegolas

...All big players are just screwing around producing 10-20 phones a year, and yet no one is good... they're quite frankly just crap almost all of them. Apple could do it Apple style, make just one product in 2 configurations, then release a fresher one next year. Think of the iPod, its basic design has been around since the beginning of iPod, and it's still considered fresh design. Then think of Nokia, they're like "uh.. let's make 20 phones this year with like a 90's futuristic style with lots of crappy details on it.. uh.. and uh... leave the simple user interface we invented in the mid 90's behind us and use a new, slow, crappy 'advanced' one instead.. Yeah!"

I agree. I find the cell phone market to be bloated, bizarre, saturated, full of "me too" stuff and each tries to outdo the other by adding more and more features that make the phone harder and harder to use rather than simpler and more pleasant to use. Then there's the whole ringtone and download some tunes (short clips or actual tracks like sony walkman phones) onto the phone of which the interface and loading of material onto the phone seems confusing and complex. Not to mention then web browsing on a tiny screen on the phone-PDAs and what nots, Windows Mobile crap, and don't get me started on rubbish Java games. And to round off my rant, all these bloody cell phone freaks are responsible for the Crazy Frog phenomenon. Ummm.... okay who knows what is responsible for Crazy Frog but my rant still stands. Nokia and Sony Ericsson and Samsung and Moto and all the other smaller gadget makers, *sigh*, WTF I just don't get the cell phone market.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Let's not forget the Motorola phones "with iTunes" would be considered by Apple to be a complete collaborative failure. Just a reminder \
  • Reply 34 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by McHuman

[B]
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

"McHuman" Where did you hear about that thing? I hope it has an influence on apple's final iPhone design!

I spent time in Japan where I saw them debut. Interesting thing is that it was designed by an american. I fully expect something like this from Apple.

I rteally DON'T want something ike this from Apple. While it's pretty, it looks just like any other phone, very uninspiring.

The full, or almost full screen mock-ups we've been seeing are more to my taste.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This report is just too odd. It's out of left field.

That's where I am with the "report"... It seems quite strange, especially when we've been hearing "iPhone" rumors for months, so it would seem any partnerships would be well-past designed.

Further, I find it hard to believe that Apple would release a product in the Japanese market before the US market--the US market has traditinally been the one they've focused on for introducing new products. It may be that this is more a Motorola-type partnership, with Apple putting their software on phones for Softbank...

I'd almost wish these reports wouldn't surface like this (not only do are MacNN and AppleInsider carrying the story, but Reuters has got it as well)... it leaves one with more questions than answers.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting.

It's "The Nihon Keizai Shinbun" (Shinbun = Newspaper).

Anyway, why not in europe, too? At least, we have some very decent 3G Carriers, like 3, who have the infrastructure to make downloading songs with 50kbps a snap (On the other hand, other carriers are still in the stone age...).

I can't wait to get my paws on an "iPhone".
  • Reply 37 of 53
    shimantoshimanto Posts: 2member
    I must say that this is definitely more than a rumor. Softbank/Vodafone Japan have been implying they are going to change the Japanese mobile market for some time now. Also, this story is being carried by all of the major news agencies here in Japan (NHK, Japan Television, etc.) Although the Japanese mobile phone market looks to be saturated, people here tend to change phones quite often, sometimes two or three times a year. There is always a market for new, innovative products.

Ipods and Apple computers seem to be everywhere in Japan right now.

I would be surprised if the new phone is not out by the end of the year.

Also Vodafone Japan does not make phones. They sell phones from NEC, Sharp, Toshiba, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. They probably do have some input on design. Almost every phone available in Japan at this point can play music, including unprotected AAC. One or two have small hard drives, but most use Flash memory. Japan is the perfect place for Apple to jump in with a new phone.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

There is no way that Apple would release a new product in Japan, but not in the US. Give me a break. Have they EVER done that?

Macintosh Color Classic II (Performa 275). It never did make it to the US market, either.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    (My blatant cross posting as usual )

The GRAND MASTER of THE PRIORY OF THE iPHONE will REVEAL ALL

• Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

(My blatant cross posting as usual )

The GRAND MASTER of THE PRIORY OF THE iPHONE will REVEAL ALL

Spooky.