ibook keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone knows if the keyboard size on the ibooks differs from the twelve inch to the fourteen inch. Using the pythagreum therom i determined that the 14 inch ibook should be about an inch and a half wider. Does this mean a larger keyboard or just more casing around the edges?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    They're the same keyboard. That's why there's all that extra room on the side of the 14" iBook that makes it ugly.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Bah. It still looks nice enough. Think of it practically, would you rather Apple stretched the keyboard out? That would be pretty terrible... I think the extra screen-space is more than worth the slight asthetic deviation.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by digitalandres:

<strong>Bah. It still looks nice enough. Think of it practically, would you rather Apple stretched the keyboard out? That would be pretty terrible... I think the extra screen-space is more than worth the slight asthetic deviation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't get any extra screen space. The resolution's 1024x768 on both the 12" and 14" so there's no extra screen space, everything's just bigger.

And no, I wouldn't rather have Apple stretch out the keyboard but I'm sure they could've designed the 14" iBook better.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    patrickpatrick Posts: 13member
    While I understand that both are 1024 x 768 screens, I don't understand how you don't get any extra screen space. I looked at both the 12" and 14" iBook (May 20, 2002 intro.), and the 14" certainly looked bigger (if only by 2") than the 12". As to the keyboard, I can't really comment, as my main interest was determining which screen looked better to me. Since they're both LCD, the image was edge-to-edge. There was none of the '15" diagonal, 13.5" viewable' issue. The smaller iBook had 12.1" viewable, and the larger one had 14.1" (two additional inches) viewable.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Of course things are bigger, there's 2 extra inches. There's no more actual space though, everything's just bigger on the 14".
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    In some cases, you actually can get added screen area. You can view more of a text document or a web page on the 14" screen, even with the same resolution, because you can set the text size smaller.

No one complains about the Pismo's 14" 1024x768 screen... but the design does "flow" better in the Pismo than in the 14" iBook.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Wow EmAn, I never really realized that. You're completely right.

Lord though- the res is 1024x768? that's allready awfull large for 14.1 inches. On my G3 iMac with a 15 screen (14.something viewable), I only run a 800x600. Any higher a rez is kinda pushing it. I coulnt imagine running 1024 on a 12.1 inch screen...
  • Reply 8 of 12

<strong>Wow EmAn, I never really realized that. You're completely right.

Lord though- the res is 1024x768? that's allready awfull large for 14.1 inches. On my G3 iMac with a 15 screen (14.something viewable), I only run a 800x600. Any higher a rez is kinda pushing it. I coulnt imagine running 1024 on a 12.1 inch screen...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, IMO it's great on the 12" screen
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I agree.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member

<strong>Any higher a rez is kinda pushing it. I coulnt imagine running 1024 on a 12.1 inch screen...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't either, until I had seen it. And now I just love this laptop, including its extremely good display.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I havent seen it, so Im not judging, just I figure that would be too small. Great to hear that that's not the case though
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I once installed Starbucks in my iBook keyboard. But when I called Apple about it they said it was unsupported wetware. I don't get it?