iTunes Visualizer Questions

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, i've recently started using a part of iTunes i had really let die on the vine... namely, the Visualizer. it's especially handy for the audio-only podcasts i listen to in my office at home. kick back, read a book or magazine, and occassionally look up and stare blankly into the p-r-e-t-t-y c-o-l-o-r-s while leo laporte discusses what's happening int he world of tech.

but there are a few things that ae bugging me about the visiualizer:

first, when you go "full screen" and the computer changes the resoultion on you, is there any way to predict or set what the new resolution will be? i want it to be just 1024x768 or 800x600 so i get maximum framet rate regardless of the colors and anti-aliasing (and yes, i know i can have "faster but rougher display" int he options. but i don't want rougher. i want it fast and smooth.

ahem...get your head out of the gutter.

anyway, next, the apple logo that occassionally pops up... is there any way to change that to something else? i figure there has GOT to be a resource or image file in there somewhere you can swap out. just when i am playing it int he background at a party, i might want something to pop up interesting, or maybe swap it out with a different style apple logo.

finally, i know that q,w,a,s,z,x all can change the colors, waveform and animation of the visualizer, and the names of those functions pop up temporarily when you change them. is there any way to keep them from fading out after a few seconds? i'd like to know immediately what a particular setting is so i can set a preset (which you can assign in itunes visualizer)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm... come to think of it, this might have been better-placed in the "genius bar" forum. oh well...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Hmm ok this post does not contain any info that can help you, but your post had something I didn't know about!

I didn't know that q,w,a,s,z,x changed the visualiser Pretty cool to muck around, thanks for that!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Hmm ok this post does not contain any info that can help you, but your post had something I didn't know about!

I didn't know that q,w,a,s,z,x changed the visualiser Pretty cool to muck around, thanks for that!

if you think that's cool, here's a list of all the undocumented (or poorly documented) key commands for itunes, as of itunes 4. i am pretty sure they add a few settings with each release, but not totally sure about that.

iTunes Commands

with this, you can set your favorite ten visualizer settings, then use M to have a slideshow JUST between those ten while your music plays. (M also allows you to freeze on just one set of settings -- whatever is playing at the time -- and then the normal randomize-everything style that itunes starts with).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

if you think that's cool, here's a list of all the undocumented (or poorly documented) key commands for itunes, as of itunes 4. i am pretty sure they add a few settings with each release, but not totally sure about that.

iTunes Commands

with this, you can set your favorite ten visualizer settings, then use M to have a slideshow JUST between those ten while your music plays. (M also allows you to freeze on just one set of settings -- whatever is playing at the time -- and then the normal randomize-everything style that itunes starts with).

Whoa thanks rok!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I just discovered Eyephedrine this week. It's a nice visualizer for itunes. So far.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I just discovered Eyephedrine this week. It's a nice visualizer for itunes. So far.

--B

wow, that screenshot on macupdate is slick. i'll have to give it a whirl. and don't forget JewelCase from Optical Alchemy. i wish it were a bit more configurable, but it's hard to knock freeware.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    I've got the silliest, fangirliest visualizer download ever: The Jumping Steve! Steve Jobs, as a comic drawn puppet, actually dances to your music. It's somewhere on Geek Culture.