What Mobile Phone Do You Use?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just purchased a black Motorola RAZR from Cingular.

I like:
  • the thinness and sturdiness of the design.

• the flat metallic keypad

• the black matte finish

• the antenna-less design

I do not like:
  • the cheap screen (especially when compared to the SLVR)

• the dim backlight for the keypad (again, especially compared to the SLVR)

• the low resolution camera. (VGA still?)

• the small external display

Otherwise a solid phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I use the SonyEricsson K600i, a nifty little 3G phone.

I will change it for the marvelous K800 when it comes out this summer.

If the iphone isn't insanely great that is...
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I use a Samsung SCH-A850 from Verizon. I like it becuase it is very sturdy. I do not care about special features. I just like having a sturdy, flip-phone with a front LCD.

My phone also has a camera but i do not use it too much.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    sony ericsson D750i

I like the 2.0 megapixel camera with autofocus, free usb to cable to connect with yr computer, bluetooth isync compatibility and the optimised charging.

No real gripes with this phone so far.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have a cheap, LG slider phone that was $49 with my Sprint plan. I got it about a year ago. I like slider phones, and am confused as to why it's not a more popular form-factor. Sprint gave me an option to get a deal on one of the new, Samsung Razr clones, but I like my slider better. I'm not a fan of flip phones. This is funny, because I used to praise them highly. Now I'm definitely in the one-piece and slider camp.

Quote:

Originally posted by New

If the iphone isn't insanely great that is...

There's about a 1% chance that the iPhone is going to work with GSM-centric networks, at least in the first version. All of the Japanese and American 3G standards I'm aware of are not GSM compatible.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I just purchased a black Motorola RAZR from Cingular.

I like:the thinness and sturdiness of the design.
    the flat metallic keypad
    the black matte finish
    the antenna-less design
    I do not like:the cheap screen (especially when compared to the SLVR)
    the dim backlight for the keypad (again, especially compared to the SLVR)
    the low resolution camera. (VGA still?)
    the small external display

Otherwise a solid phone.

Bad build quality, terrible reception and those silver buttons along the side.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Bad build quality, terrible reception and those silver buttons along the side.

You're right-- those silver buttons do seem flimsy.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    A cheap LG 1300 flip-phone.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

You're right-- those silver buttons do seem flimsy.

Have you seen the slivr? Is it any better? I do like that it's a one-piece. Of course, I don't think there's an EVDO version that works with Sprint anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

SonyEricsson P800

Like:

1. touch screen/pda/handwriting recognition

2. Solitare game, handy in doctor offices

3. you can load pacman and doom on it (although I haven't)

4. works with blutooth iSync, calandar, to-dos, address book

5. Camera phone useful when you have an auto accident

Dislike:

1. Kind of big

2. Only tri-band, not quad band (I think this means not as good reception in the countryside).
  • Reply 10 of 40
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    RAZR... can't say I use the features, but it fits in my change pocket and that is all I needed...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Have you seen the slivr? Is it any better? I do like that it's a one-piece. Of course, I don't think there's an EVDO version that works with Sprint anyway.

Yeah, my brother bought the SLVR.

Compared to the RAZR:
    • It has an even more solid feel

• The backlight for the keypad is noticeably brighter

• The keypad itself feels much more solid. (the raised directional pad also makes a difference)

• The screen is *much* better, but slightly smaller.

• It has iTunes and much more memory.

The only things I don't like about it are:
    • The candy bar shape is more noticeable in your pocket.

• The black finish is more slippery than the RAZR's.

• Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

2. Only tri-band, not quad band (I think this means not as good reception in the countryside).

There are so many networks these days that it's really hard to say without looking further. Having AMPS capabilities is not terribly important these days, even in the countryside. If I had to guess, I'd say that this Ericsson phone is TriBand GSM, meaning that it works with the 850, 1800, and 1900MHz variants, and hence should work fine in the countryside where the lower frequency (850) will deliver improved range.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

RAZR... can't say I use the features, but it fits in my change pocket and that is all I needed...

The slimness of the Razr, is a very good thing. I would love if I could make a call on it with 100% confidence that it wouldn't lose its signal. I brought the first two back becuse they froze, and now this, and I take care of my stuff! I'm just too not bothered bringing this one back, I'll hold out for the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The slimness of the Razr, is a very good thing. I would love if I could make a call on it with 100% confidence that it wouldn't lose its signal. I brought the first two back becuse they froze, and now this, and I take care of my stuff! I'm just too not bothered bringing this one back, I'll hold out for the iPhone.

Dropped calls are often your network's problem...
  • Reply 15 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have a RAZR. It's sturdiness and thinness are great. My only gripe is that I somehow have managed to get dust/dirt on the INSIDE of the main screen. I don't know if it went in through the ear speaker hole or through the side, but no more than a couple weeks after I got it I noticed the stuff inside. It won't move and I can't figure out how one would get it out. It does make it hard to read the screen outside, though.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Dropped calls are often your network's problem...

Try 4 phones, same network, never had this problem before. And I know another person with the V3 on a different network, same issue.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I have a RAZR. It's sturdiness and thinness are great. My only gripe is that I somehow have managed to get dust/dirt on the INSIDE of the main screen. I don't know if it went in through the ear speaker hole or through the side, but no more than a couple weeks after I got it I noticed the stuff inside. It won't move and I can't figure out how one would get it out. It does make it hard to read the screen outside, though.

Yeah, how is that possible?

I managed to do that exact same thing with a Siemens M56, although I put on one of those tacky clear covers that didn't quite fit. So that was clearly the culprit. (It was also the most ghetto looking phone imaginable, as it was held together with a rubber band and a paper clip, missing the screen covering so it just revealed a bare lcd screen, and it had dust everywhere underneath the clear cover lol)
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Yeah, how is that possible?

In the world of enclosures, there's a rating system called IP, which means "Ingress Protection." It is two numbers, the first, 0-6 corresponds to the size of particles that can find their way in to an enclosure. The second, 0-8, corresponds to the kinds of water that can find their way into an enclosure (i.e. rain, water jets, immersion, etc). Stuff that's particularly rugged is IP67 or 68. IP54 is usually considered the beginning of what it means to be "ruggedized electronics."

Most consumer electronics aren't even close. This is ridiculous, because with some of the contemporary membranne technologies (such as gore tex), a small degree of design ingenuity combined with about $2 of parts (max) can turn a phone that's very susceptible to environmental conditions into one that's at least IP54. I suspect that it's just not a concern to the terminal manufacturers, or that they want you to have to throw away phones all the time. I suppose that if enough complaints were forwarded through the network provider to the manufacturer, something might be done, but otherwise you're out of luck unless you want to try your hand with a conformal-coating pen.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I just got a GSM (Cingular) RAZR last week.

Much better than my Sprint/CDMA service so far!

I like the small size, and I definitely wanted a flip. I also just discovered that I can use iTunes and Quicktime to make my own ringtones from any song in my library ... Customizing it as I type ... too cool.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I just got a GSM (Cingular) RAZR last week.

Much better than my Sprint/CDMA service so far!

Sprint has the problem of having limited coverage. This is due to Sprint having fewer towers as well as a higher operating frequency that most of the other American carriers. It's not really a GSM vs. CDMA2000 issue, because it's mathematical fact (and empirically verifiable) that Sprint's CDMA2000/EVDO offers the highest quality-of-service of any network in America, and is actually on-par with anything in the world. (Surprising, I know) Verizon is number two in QoS, and they also have a big network, but you will inevitably have to deal with their customer support, which isn't worth any level of QoS. If you see a guy in the airport, for example, yelling at someone over the phone about cellular phone issues, 10:1 it's a verizon support agent.