USB Soundcards ? 5.1 sound ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone know of any 5.1 surround USB adapters, maybe even 4.1, for Mac? I'm getting a PowerBook 667 DVI and I just realized that my 5.1 speakers won't work with it. I could just us 2 of the speakers and have 2.1 sound, but I would prefer to get 5.1 or 4.1 working. I would prefer cheaper USB soundcards too (not bargain basement, but I don't want to pay through the roof either). Anyone know of some good ones?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Well you could just have 4 channel stereo, no mac program even outputs 5.1 stuff (well I think pro audio apps and hard ware do, and like 2 games)... Your speakers should have an option for that.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: chych ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    apple's dvd player can't output in dts/dolby 5.1 output?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I posted this wrong. I'm talking like my speakers decode 5.1 surround. They can take 5.1, but don't have a decoder. They have three speaker plugs, one for front speakers, one for rear, and another for the center channel. They are the Creative "Inspire 5.1" speaker system. Like I said, I could only hook up the front speakers to the TiBook, but I was wondering if there's any way to hook up the rear speakers like I have on my desktop ( I got the SBLive! Platinum before they gave the SBLive!s 5.1 decoders..mine has the Live! Drive 1 which I never use. )
  • Reply 5 of 8
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    The Midiman Sonica should allow you to get sound going through all six of your channels. From you Mac desktop or laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon:

<strong>The Midiman Sonica should allow you to get sound going through all six of your channels. From you Mac desktop or laptop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the Midiman Sonica, I would need a 5.1 surround decoder. It only have a single digital output jack. I need two jacks. One for the from speakers and one for the rear speakers and for 5.1 a third one for the center channel.

<a href="http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?maincategory=3&category=15&product=168 " target="_blank">these</a> are my speakers.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>With the Midiman Sonica, I would need a 5.1 surround decoder. It only have a single digital output jack. I need two jacks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While you are correct that the sonica will not work with your particular speakers (4.1 or whatever the correct designation is) it can downmix surround sound to work with 2 powered speakers through its analog out, without the need for a 5.1 digital decoder.

Not much help to you, I know, but I thought others reading the thread might be interested.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>

While you are correct that the sonica will not work with your particular speakers (4.1 or whatever the correct designation is) it can downmix surround sound to work with 2 powered speakers through its analog out, without the need for a 5.1 digital decoder.

Not much help to you, I know, but I thought others reading the thread might be interested.</strong><hr></blockquote>

technically my speakers are 5.1, but just not digital. 5.1 = 5 speakers, and .1 is the sub.