If Apple asked "you" what apps you would like that are not available on the Mac...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

No, I realise that. I'm just saying that ... it would be nice to be able to have on the Mac ? as per the title of the thread ? whether or not there exists viable alternatives.

We established on page one that it this thread should also recommend alternatives. What, did you think that by posting on an internet message board that all the PC apps you like would suddenly come to the Mac? By recommending alternatives, there is some substance.

Which also brings me to the point that everyone seems to want AutoCAD on the mac. Besides it being hard for me to believe that so many users on AI have any need for AutoCAD, I think it's a piece of crap, and I don't use it on my PCs either. While I wasn't looking AutoCAD must have become a moot talisman for the software industry.
  • Reply 102 of 123
    Another thing people can do is get a Intel-Mac and install Boot Camp. I'm sure you all know what this is. If you really want those applictions, get a Mactel and use the apps you want.
  • Reply 103 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Which also brings me to the point that everyone seems to want AutoCAD on the mac. Besides it being hard for me to believe that so many users on AI have any need for AutoCAD, I think it's a piece of crap, and I don't use it on my PCs either. While I wasn't looking AutoCAD must have become a moot talisman for the software industry.

I use AutoCAD, though a ten year old version of it. It would be nice to buy something newer, I can get by just fine without spending thousands to fix a problem that I don't really have. I will say that I won't be replacing the Windows workstation at work with a Mac either, because that's more of the same, spending money to fix a problem I don't have. If I need a Mac at work, I can bring in the MacBook Pro desknote.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I can add the American Heart Association's training course for ACLS to my list of software that I wish worked on the Mac.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Mixmaster
  • Reply 106 of 123
    mmbarthezmmbarthez Posts: 40member
    ProE-Wildfire 2 just great for modeling and analysis if you have the mechanica portion installed, as well as sheet metal and all that, the entire Pro-E line would be great.

ANSYS would be another good one to have.

Working Model would be good to use to fill in some dead spots in Pro-E.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    My social science friends say "SPSS."
  • Reply 108 of 123
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    LOL maybe AutoCAD is like ArcGIS. You gotta use it. GODAMNIT I hate that motherfucker. I'm going to be an ESRI bitch for the next three years doing ArcMap. I'm going to go outta my mind folks, just watch...more so than already of course.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm really enjoying Modo 102 for pure modeling and I'll probably use that as my main Unreal modeler for UT2k7, and Fireworks for texture creation.

On 3DS Max, both Epic and Bungie use it, and they're two of the most successful companies in the industry.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    What would you compair Modo to? I have herd a lot about it, but it seems to me to be very limited in support, plug-ins, and tutorials to get started. Is it easy to use? Is the interface simple, or does it have a lot of hidden menus and a lot of check boxes? The rendering aspects dont seem top notch, but some of them do look decent. Any thoughts on it?
  • Reply 111 of 123
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

What would you compair Modo to? I have herd a lot about it, but it seems to me to be very limited in support, plug-ins, and tutorials to get started. Is it easy to use? Is the interface simple, or does it have a lot of hidden menus and a lot of check boxes? The rendering aspects dont seem top notch, but some of them do look decent. Any thoughts on it?

Modo is meant to be a subdivision surface modeller. It is comparable to Rhino3D, which has no Mac version either:

http://www.rhino3d.com/

Rhino3D does NURBs as opposed to subdivision surface modelling.

That's one of the reasons I love Blender for modelling because it does subdivs like Modo.

Blender -> Renderman -> Shake =
  • Reply 112 of 123
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Silo3D is a subdivision modeler for the mac that is cheap. There's also a pretty nice NURBS modeler out there for the mac, but I forget the name. I'll get it soon enough.

My favorite NURBS modeler is the now defunct Universe Modeler 5.0.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    dmwogandmwogan Posts: 36member
    I'm sure all of the engineers will agree:

-solidworks, pro/e

-matlab (an os x native version, not the x11 version)

-fluent
  • Reply 114 of 123
    faederafaedera Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

My social science friends say "SPSS."

I'm using it on my Mac. Google "spss mac".
  • Reply 115 of 123
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Well honk my hooter!
  • Reply 116 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmwogan

I'm sure all of the engineers will agree:

-solidworks, pro/e

-matlab (an os x native version, not the x11 version)

-fluent

I mentioned earlier that your first request may be answered to some extent.

Have a look here (old news, but relevent) and here for a few pointers as to what's going to be announced in the next few weeks...

Although this might be a bit more high end than some people are looking for, it's going to be very good for Macs in engineering...
  • Reply 117 of 123
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    Well since were are also posting good alternative Mac apps, I saw this today at Apple's site and thought it was cool.

Link to story:

http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/ucla/

Quote:

Medical imaging is growing at an explosive pace, revolutionizing the way physicians peer inside the human body and allowing them to diagnose disease earlier, better, and faster. Instead of 2D x-ray films hanging on light boxes, today?s radiologists often view computer displays of 3D digital images, including those from CT, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and positron emission tomography (PET) scans. Using these 3D visualizations, radiologists can appreciate important information not otherwise apparent, such as the irregular shape or spiculated margin of a tumor or its precise spatial relationship to anatomic structures.

?The unique thing about OsiriX is that it gives users the ability to do advanced imaging manipulation outside the traditional radiology-centric environment.?

Adding to the sophistication of this field, 4D and 5D imaging has emerged in recent years. These images add dimensions of time (such as cardiac CT scanning so fast that it captures images of the beating heart) and functional data (such as PET/CT fusion, which combines a patient?s anatomical and functional images).[/b]

Link to OsiriX site:

http://homepage.mac.com/rossetantoin...ix/Index2.html

I think that Apple should focus a bit on medical technologies like the article says its growing at a fast rate and this could help Apple get more market share!
  • Reply 118 of 123
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    In terms of CAD/nurbs check out solidthinking I think it is quite similar to Rhino and I'm hoping to get my hands on it soon.

Other 3d mac programs not mentioned which I thought were worth a mention are sketchup, vectorworks (anyone use this?), and maxwell render (in beta atm but produces amazing results)

Personally I would like to see Rhino and Acad on mac of course, and something like 3dexploration. I would also like to see Adobe apps written for mac properly again not ported from PC
  • Reply 119 of 123
    intlplbyintlplby Posts: 45member
    a FLAC to MP3/AAC/Apple Lossless converter that preserves tags....

something that burns cue files for audio (not bin/cue) for data discs

FLAC support in itunes

apple lossless support in ableton live
  • Reply 120 of 123
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Softimage XSI