Apple updates iLife '06 applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday released software updates for several iLife '06 applications, including iDVD, iMovie HD, iWeb, and iPhoto.

iDVD 6.0.2

iDVD 6.0.2 (5MB) update addresses issues with burning some 16:9 projects and improves overall stability. It also resolves issues with integration with the other iLife applications, importing of legacy projects and some theme related issues.

iMovie HD 6.0.2

iMovie HD 6.0.2 (7MB) addresses issues with PAL audio and displaying iLife Sound Effects automatically in its iLife Media Browser. It also improves overall stability and address a number of other minor issues. A 54.6MB Combo update is also available for users who have not yet updated to version 6.0.1.

iWeb 1.1

iWeb 1.1 (88.8MB) adds comment and search support for blogs and podcasts published to .Mac. It also addresses a variety of usability and performance issues for all users, including image management fixes to improve site load performance.

iPhoto 6.0.3

iPhoto 6.0.3 (13.9MB) addresses issues with Photocasting of Smart Albums, sharing iPhoto libraries, and creating calendars and books. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I just updated. The tutorial that was available on what's new, said there was new features in iWeb, one of which was the ability to publish just one of many sites you may have in your site organizer. Rather than needlessly republishing all your sites, to same time and bandwidth. But it said before you do that, you should republish all your sites to optimize them for future use. I have tried to publish a few times but I keep seeing an error message. "There was a problem. Check your internet connection, and try again". Still no luck, and Safari works fine. So it's not an internet connection problem. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I have tried to publish a few times but I keep seeing an error message. "There was a problem. Check your internet connection, and try again". Still no luck, and Safari works fine. So it's not an internet connection problem. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't attempted to publsh using iWeb but I wonder what port(s) it uses to achieve this. Perhaps they need to be opened on your router.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solipsism

I haven't attempted to publsh using iWeb but I wonder what port(s) it uses to achieve this. Perhaps they need to be opened on your router.

Why would an update change this, when I had no problem publishing before?

• Reply 4 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This link may contain a solution.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Perhaps a new app this week? Make all of them interoperate with this fix...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Great update, nice new features. I love the new comment and search feature in the blogs. Makes blogs that much more functional. Plus, you can delete comments right from the web page itself. Sweet!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Hmmm.... let's start some rumors quickly. Only a few more days.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I just updated. The tutorial that was available on what's new, said there was new features in iWeb, one of which was the ability to publish just one of many sites you may have in your site organizer. Rather than needlessly republishing all your sites, to same time and bandwidth.

That's good. That seemed highly annoying.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Close, but I can say without a doubt that this is a "surefire sign that Apple will release new hardware" [at some point in the future].

rongold, eat your heart out.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I was hoping for a feature that publishes to third party site. I've already had my own domains for years and I don't like having to upload the entire site for minor changes, which is what iWeb expects. If iWeb would just upload or at least publish only the changes then I might actually bother using it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Ahhh...the update killed me fast/slow down clip effect!!! Did that happen for anybody else too??!?!?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    When I first saw the update I was like yey! Finally! Comments on the blog. But then I saw it requires .mac. God damn it apple! Not everyone wants to publish to your space. Some of us already have hosting! I realise u want to increase .mac sales. But to publish ur site without publishing everything (unless u know exactly wat ur doing) you need to host at .mac. To publish to somewhere other than .mac you need a seperate FTP program. And now to have comments and search you need .mac

Again I realise that your trying to increase .mac sales. But in the long run ur loosing more people from using iWeb because of this. I love iWeb but if every new feature is gonna require .mac it'll suck. And I'm sure I'm not alone!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    It doesn't require .Mac

You can publish to a folder and then upload it manually
  • Reply 14 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Obligatory "it's snappier!" post
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

It doesn't require .Mac

I think he means the 'post comments/attachements' feature and the 'search blog' feature require .mac.

But I believe the reason is that most ISP would never tolerate the bandwidth and storage use that blog comments take up (especially not when attachments can be uploaded.) Apple is just protecting themselves from angry ISPs and disillusioned users that thought they'd be able to have anyone anywhere post comments and attach anything on an ISP that only offers a 2GB monthly bandwidth and a 1GB storage limit.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

It doesn't require .Mac

I am aware of that, but it has severe limitations. To publish manually means re-uploading the entire iWeb site and requires using a third party progam, something that is unfortunate as iCal can automatically upload calandars to any site with FTP access that works perfectly with my host. My site is 30MB when zipped and my ISP has horrible upload speeds, so that is very prohibitive.

To publish only the changes you made in a site requires .Mac or running yet another a program to tell you what files changed and upload the changes.

I realize that Apple is trying to push .Mac service but their treatment of non-subscribers isn't encouraging.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Surely its not the ISP's resonability, its the user's resonability to have the knowledge about bandwith and storage space. That's assuming you have ur site hosted at ur ISP. Even if u have it with a proper hosting company you still have the bandwith issues which makes no difference whether you have .mac or not.

I pay £54.99 a year for 2gig of space and 20 gig of bandwith a month with all the e-mail addresses I want. dot mac is £69 with 1 gig of space and 20 gig of bandwith a month. That 1 gig of space is shared between ur webspace and e-mail and I'm sure its not unlimited addresses. The only appeal to me about .mac is the backup program and the intergration of ur "storage" via iDisk.

I'm a resonable internet and hosting user. I can afford the bandwith for comments on my site, and so can most people on .mac as long as there isnt large attachments. As mentioned previous, iCal lets u publish a calander wherever you like. Why can't iWeb?! If apple are so confident in their .mac product then let us make our own choice instead of implimenting new features that are .mac only.

Before someone says use wordpress or something. I can't code or program for **** So I've always liked the programs that allow you to make the site and let u watch how its affecting the final product as you do it.

But my point is. If Apple thought .mac was the shizzle so much they should have more confidence in their product and allow people to choose whether they want it rather than bully people into having it through offering exclusive features in their iLife programs. This seems a microsoft tatic to me.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Uh oh, Apple made a Boo-boo.

Looking at the tutorials for iWeb 1.1 you will notice a little mistake that they forgot to edit out. If you like having fun finding it out, take a look for youself. Read below for some hints.

1. Look at the page that talks about publishing and faster load times.

2. Notice how apple usually edits everything out. They remove the clock, standardize the dock/wallpaper.

3. Study the Menu Bar

4. Look Next to Help

5. If you are really lazy, it says Debug. Just an oversight, nothing major. But it was fun for me to find.

I'm not sure about the other movies though.