IBM Sore That Apple Dropped 'Em

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Screw IBM. Let Sony pay for the R&d of the ppc chips going forward.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Screw IBM. Let Sony pay for the R&d of the ppc chips going forward.

My thoughts exactly...Sony et al will push future PPC dev. Apple can waltz back in at any time when the chips make sense.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

My thoughts exactly...Sony et al will push future PPC dev. Apple can waltz back in at any time when the chips make sense.

Id agree, let Apple make universal apps and they can switch back at any time in the future...who knows IBM may come out with a general CPU that will smoke Intels & AMD's at some point.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    IBM, a company that basically told Apple 'unless you start investing, we ain't gonna lift a finger to satisfy your needs' cares that Apple, a 'big' (they bought what, perhaps 5-600,000 G5's a year? That's a monthly salary for an IBM CEO) company is using other chips?

OMG, this is just
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

IBM, a company that basically told Apple 'unless you start investing, we ain't gonna lift a finger to satisfy your needs' cares that Apple, a 'big' (they bought what, perhaps 5-600,000 G5's a year? That's a monthly salary for an IBM CEO) company is using other chips?

OMG, this is just

Yeah you're right. I want my 1.6ghz g5 water cooled powerbook. Only 2 inches thick and 8 pounds. But that IBM, now they are technology leaders!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

OMG, this is just

Yeah...it's sooo funny. Apple has sold so little G5s that nobody knew what the fuck IBM as comparing their Cell processor with. Apple G5 wha?

Anyway...it's a bold move by IBM...who the fuck would want to buy IBM's 970 chips now!?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    it's amazing some of you care so much.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

it's amazing some of you care so much.

I want the best for IBM. That's not the way I raised IBM. I didn't raise it to be a cry baby. One day, IBM will have to mature...it's a tough world out there.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Yeah you're right. I want my 1.6ghz g5 water cooled powerbook. Only 2 inches thick and 8 pounds. But that IBM, now they are technology leaders!

Of course they are. Show me one tech company that has as many innovations and awards/patents as they do. Show me one company that gets 5,000 patents per year. Show 'em to me.

Just because they choose to not invest on subsidizing Apple with low-priced chips while doing all the R&D themselves and tell Apple that they should chip in to (which Apple refuses) doesn't make them less of a technology leaders. It makes them a better technology leader, as they recognize that a market is too small and not-so-beneficial and they just leave the market to invest their money on other markets.

Not everything is about Apple and what processors it'll use come June.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

I want the best for IBM. That's not the way I raised IBM. I didn't raise it to be a cry baby. One day, IBM will have to mature...it's a tough world out there.

Actually, the cry baby is Apple ("Daddy didn't give me money for icecream..." - "IBM didn't deliver a G5 chip for a PowerBook...") that uses PPC chips while it think they're profitable and 'better' (IBM didn't make them do all those ads with Intel bunnies, y'a know?) but then starts crying that they're not good enough for The Big Plans.

IBM is comparing a new product they have to an older product they have (which is better known as the Apple PowerMac G5, hence G5) in order to sell more of it. Kinda like Microsoft compares Office 2003 to Office 2000 to sell more of it. It's called comparing two products you produce, one older and one newer, and touting the newer as the one customers should upgrade to.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

And lets face it, powerpoint charts and demos are exciting and everything, but if you can't deliver good yeilds or improve the performance from on year to the next, what teh fuck good is it? No one doubted the original G5 was a great chip, but come on, they couldn't get the bitch past 2.7.

Besides, performance per watt seems to be what Apple is touting nowadays, and I don't see IBM releasing figures for that regarding the cell.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Apple no doubt had a lot more info on how things were going to work out over the next few years than we are aware of.

...even the ability to running windows on Macs no doubt played some role in the final decision.

That and the fact that neither Mot nor IBM ever lived up to promises for year after year...the list goes on.

I doubt it was an easy decision to make at the end, but something had to be done...
  • Reply 33 of 35
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    It's interesting to me that, at least on that screen in the above picture, IBM chose the words "Competing processor".

Is it the norm for most computer companies to have their processor providers fall short of what they say they can, or will, do? It must be very difficult to decide on a plan for the direction a company should go when there seems to be unreliable information.

I know very little about what has happened with Apple, Motorola, IBM, etc.. Personally, I like the idea of dynamic new technology. I usually associate Apple with a superior, less traditional, product. I'd hate to think that they went with the safest option, rather then potentially the higher quality one. Although, I understand that "potential" is a key word there for a business.

Anyway, I hope Intel really pushes the envelope with much greater efficiency, and IBM does the same with speed.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Of course they are. Show me one tech company that has as many innovations and awards/patents as they do. Show me one company that gets 5,000 patents per year. Show 'em to me.

Just because they choose to not invest on subsidizing Apple with low-priced chips while doing all the R&D themselves and tell Apple that they should chip in to (which Apple refuses) doesn't make them less of a technology leaders. It makes them a better technology leader, as they recognize that a market is too small and not-so-beneficial and they just leave the market to invest their money on other markets.

Not everything is about Apple and what processors it'll use come June.

And how much of that 'technology' makes it to market? For a company with so much R&D and so many patents, which you correctly point out, they sure seem to focus on business consulting don't they? What's the last thing you bought from IBM?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Actually, the cry baby is Apple ("Daddy didn't give me money for icecream..." - "IBM didn't deliver a G5 chip for a PowerBook...") that uses PPC chips while it think they're profitable and 'better' (IBM didn't make them do all those ads with Intel bunnies, y'a know?) but then starts crying that they're not good enough for The Big Plans.

Yes, I'm sure that Steve is sulking right. Damn Conroes and Woodcrests being released early in sufficient quantities...damn them all to hell!