Beyond 120 Gig HD ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

120 GIG 7200RPM HD seem to be the limation today in the HD world ...when can we expect a 500 GIG HD for $200?

Alex

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    First off, wrong forum. Second off, what's the point really? That's like asking "when will the Moon be colonized".
  • Reply 2 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    160GB drives are already about and there is a 200GB drive here now or very close. IBM is bringing through a few technologies that will allow major increases in HD storage densities over the next 2 - 3 years. By and large all the HD world is waiting for is the release of Serial ATA, which is about a month or 2 away.

Meanwhile does this have anything to do with OS X and where on earth did you pluck an arbitrary number like 500GB from? I seriously doubt average people are even coming close to filling 80GB HDs right now let alone the larger ones.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Telomar ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    I'm holding out for a 500GB iPod with Firewire4...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>I seriously doubt average people are even coming close to filling 80GB HDs right now let alone the larger ones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You'll be amazed if you give a packrat a chance. I filled 2 of them up and am working on a third.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Want to know how to fill up a HD fast. See the "how many days of music do you have?" thread.

ATA is going to be nice from a useability standpoint. I hate ribbon cables. What's the max drive size for SATA?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yes, there are drives out larger than 120 GB.

Moving to Current Hardware...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member

<strong>160GB drives are already about and there is a 200GB drive here now or very close. IBM is bringing through a few technologies that will allow major increases in HD storage densities over the next 2 - 3 years. By and large all the HD world is waiting for is the release of Serial ATA, which is about a month or 2 away.

Meanwhile does this have anything to do with OS X and where on earth did you pluck an arbitrary number like 500GB from? I seriously doubt average people are even coming close to filling 80GB HDs right now let alone the larger ones.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Telomar ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Average people, no. But people that are into DV editing and high res images, yes. Me? I can will 120gigs in a couple of months. Anime is notorious for filling HDs. I have an 80Gb NTFS formated drive that I can barely keep not full. It's 69%+ fragmented btw....and they said NTFS won't fragment. Ha! It's 69% fragmented AFTER running windows built-in defrag. Bill Gates needs to take some examples from Ext2 or Ext3 and make a better FS. But I'm going way off topic here.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>

Anime is notorious for filling HDs. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it. This is what DVD burners are for though
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>What's the max drive size for SATA?</strong><hr></blockquote>

144 petabytes--that's 144 million gigabytes, or 144,000 terabytes of data.

It's worth mentioning a 32-bit OS can't deal with those amounts anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Blu-ray dvds are gonna make current storage measurments a joke within a year or two. 27 gigs on one side, one layer, standard size disk thats 2 hours HD television or 13 hours standard analog.
  • Reply 11 of 12

<strong>

Tell me about it. This is what DVD burners are for though </strong><hr></blockquote>

well...when I first got my DVR-104 the day after Pioneer officially launched it, DVD-R media was still like $2.0 for 1x...and coasters were too expensive, but since OS 9 crashed so much....Finally managed to make 90+ DVDs, which contains 'bout half of my collection (Anyone seen/got fansubbed Noir and FMP before they got licensed? 2 of the best anime we'll be expecting in the near future)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    any reference frames for your inquiry?

* fast random access an unspoken criteria?

* headbending limits of quantum physics?

* pure bytes/box and bang/buck?

bearing in mind this is current hardware

since it seems we're vectoring from magnetic to optical platters and a variety of alternatives to "pure" HD (a solo drive, of unstated form factor) and i'd mention the human brain, but conan doyle's sherlock holmes once said "the brain is an attic with finite space... if one wants to add things, one first may need to throw things out"

helpful or just hmmm?