Um, AppleOutsider.com...

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, forgive me if this is old news, but has anyone tried going to appleoutsider.com lately?

do you see what i see? or rather, redirect to what i redirect to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Huh. Did it link to something else, previously?

And why would Apple (if it is Apple that's doing the linking) want to associate itself with the phrase "apple outsider" unless, wait, maybe they've realized that their marketing needs more angry, contentious, squabbling?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, forgive me if this is old news, but has anyone tried going to appleoutsider.com lately?

do you see what i see? or rather, redirect to what i redirect to?

Can you explain? I've been to outsider and found no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Can you explain? I've been to outsider and found no problems.

click on the following

www.AppleOutsider.com

and tell me where it redirects you to. do you find that odd? 'cause i certainly do.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

click on the following

www.AppleOutsider.com

and tell me where it redirects you to. do you find that odd? 'cause i certainly do.

Yep, I get an Apple TV commercial. It is strange. When I go to AppleInsider forums menu and click on AppleOutsider it give me this URL which works fine:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/forum...?s=&forumid=24
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Yep, I get an Apple TV commercial. It is strange. When I go to AppleInsider forums menu and click on AppleOutsider it give me this URL which works fine:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/forum...?s=&forumid=24

okay, time for me to break out the Club of Blatantly Obvious? (+3 against Duh)...

It is strange that the domain AppleOutsider.com, a natural complement to this very AppleINSIDER.com, would redirect to Apple.com AT ALL. is it registered to them? and, if so, why? i suppose they could just sit on domains of appleANYTHING to prevent widespread abuse, but considering the thorn that rumors sites have presented to apple in the past, well, this is peculiar behavior. kinda like if i named one of my kids after an anagram of the name of one of my worst enemies. (okay, not really like that, but it's all i could grasp for right now).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If there was a site devoted to the Appleoutsider forum the internet would implode.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    In a time long past a group of appleinsider members founded a forum named AppleOutsider. That is what it was.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

In a time long past a group of appleinsider members founded a forum named AppleOutsider. That is what it was.

i thought it was called OrangeOutsider (as in Apples & Oranges). i think i even posted there once or twice. then the great AI Dark Ages struck, and many registrations were lost...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, time for me to break out the Club of Blatantly Obvious? (+3 against Duh)...

It is strange that the domain AppleOutsider.com, a natural complement to this very AppleINSIDER.com, would redirect to Apple.com AT ALL. is it registered to them? and, if so, why? i suppose they could just sit on domains of appleANYTHING to prevent widespread abuse, but considering the thorn that rumors sites have presented to apple in the past, well, this is peculiar behavior. kinda like if i named one of my kids after an anagram of the name of one of my worst enemies. (okay, not really like that, but it's all i could grasp for right now).

Er... OK Captain obvious. If you where to do a Who Is search to discover who owned that domain you would see it isn't Apple. It's also obvious that whoever administers that domain is redirecting it to Apple.com. So you want to know why this is being done? Is that your mystery?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

. . . then the great AI Dark Ages struck, and many registrations were lost . . .

You stopped just when your story was getting really interesting!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If there was a site devoted to the Appleoutsider forum the internet would implode.

Wheee!! Let's do it!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Er... OK Captain obvious. If you where to do a Who Is search to discover who owned that domain you would see it isn't Apple. It's also obvious that whoever administers that domain is redirecting it to Apple.com. So you want to know why this is being done? Is that your mystery?

nope, my hope was to get someone else to do the dirty work to see who it was registered to. mission accomplished.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

nope, my hope was to get someone else to do the dirty work to see who it was registered to. mission accomplished.

• Reply 14 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The strenuous exertion associated with running a whois really takes a toll on rok's heart.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    It's OK, it's one of us!

So rok, I not only know who the domain is registered to, but I know who that person is (well, broadly speaking anyway). What do you think of that? Pretty impressive, huh?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm utterly mystified by the pattern of what inspires CC to grace us with one of her occasional posts.