Sony Blu-Ray Vaio

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sony and Toshiba both beat Apple to the punch by introducing laptops with Blu-Ray capability. Sony's Vaio will be out in June. I thought 2005 was the "Year of High Def", according to Jobs. He's a year late and well behind the Japanese 8-Ball.

I've been waiting for a Blu-Ray Macbook Pro and most of you guys said it's still a year or two away. Hopefully, Apple will have one by the end of Summer. Price is currently prohibitive though as the Sony will be about $3,700.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Actually

Apple went HD with DVD Player 4.6.x. It plays back HD DVD content on Red Laser DVD.

Thus I can squeeze about an hour of HD content on a DL disc at a decent bitrate 16-18Mbps that any other recent OS X Mac can playback.

Of course I need DVD Studio Pro 4 to do so.

Kudos to Sony for getting recording Blu Ray into laptops so early. They are definitely ahead of HD DVD in recording capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    It seems to be a reader only, not a BD-Writer. But it does burn DVDs and CDs.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Looks like a burner it at least one vaio model.

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/22113.html

Quote:

In addition to supporting HD playback, the VAIO AR notebook is a multimedia powerhouse with the capability to record high-definition camcorder content to Blu-ray Discs. Now aspiring moviemakers can shoot, edit and burn their HD creation on a PC -- all in native 1080 resolution.

color me impressed. Laptop BD burner..expensive but new technology is rarely cheap for laptops.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Very impressive!

It bodes well for external burner prices too hopefully.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

Sony and Toshiba both beat Apple to the punch by introducing laptops with Blu-Ray capability. Sony's Vaio will be out in June.

Who says that Apple won't release a MacBook Pro with Blu-ray in June btw.?

Announced != released - especially when talking about Blu-ray
  • Reply 6 of 7
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    it'd be retarded for apple to put in a blu-ray player in right now and that is why they didn't.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

Sony and Toshiba both beat Apple to the punch by introducing laptops with Blu-Ray capability. Sony's Vaio will be out in June. I thought 2005 was the "Year of High Def", according to Jobs. He's a year late and well behind the Japanese 8-Ball.

I've been waiting for a Blu-Ray Macbook Pro and most of you guys said it's still a year or two away. Hopefully, Apple will have one by the end of Summer. Price is currently prohibitive though as the Sony will be about $3,700.

Firstly you mean blu-ray and hd-dvd capability(why would toshiba put in a blu-ray drive?).

Secondly, of course they would they are the one that INVENTED the techonology, why would it not be in their products first, that'd be like the original ipod being released by gateway first or firewire first appearing on an HP machine.

It is a given.