Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    awinn233awinn233 Posts: 10member
    Nice pictures!
  • Reply 22 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Guardian asked apple why do the Black MacBooks cost more?

Apple answered: "The 2.0 GHz black MacBook is our most advanced notebook ever and deserves something special, and we think it looks stunning in black."

They dont care cause they're going to fly out the doors anyway!! The black one looks exceptional
  • Reply 23 of 95
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Using Safari. The pictures do not load.

???

Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

Using Safari. The pictures do not load.

???

Thanks.

They're fine for me. Maybe you need a new MacBook? /sar
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Is the outer case glossy like the current iBooks?
  • Reply 26 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Is the outer case glossy like the current iBooks?

No, matte. Which looks better
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Ok, here are my questions about the new MacBooks

1) How is the keyboard?

1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top?

2) Where are the speakers?

3) Where are the RAM slots?

4) How bad is the glare off the display?

5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it)

And my comments...

Glad to see the proc specs are fairly high. I had some serious doubts about Apple going all Duo and keeping the price points in the right ballpark, especially after the Mini introduction. And although some people will complain about GMA950 graphics, I think it's one of the tradeoffs that was required to keep the price down. That said, I think Apple would be crazy not to offer a CTO discrete video option, if at all possible.

Also, the mini-DVI is a minor, but really important inclusion for those that use it.

Obviously, with three (two, really) models in the MacBook lineup not everyone is going to fall in love, but I think this is a really good baseline to work from, and at competetive price points.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

No, matt. Which looks better

just because I've seen it a couple of times already, it's matte, not matt. I normally don't bother with trivial mispellings or usage issues, but it will only make things confusing if people think you're responding to someone named Matt...
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

No, matt. Which looks better

Hmm, not so sure. If its like the inside of the current iBooks then thats not so good imo.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Originally posted by concentricity

1) How is the keyboard? Looks okay to me but lets ask. "Hey keyboard! How are you? - Fine Steve, just fine!"

1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top? Flip? Did we just join the circus? Doesn't look like it and it's not stated anywhere that it does.

2) Where are the speakers? In there, somewhere.

3) Where are the RAM slots? I'm sure there inside somewhere too.

4) How bad is the glare off the display? I dunno. Go check one out.

5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it) Just because it's cool and that is only why. Marketing my friend, marketing.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by McHuman

Do you only see them in stores, where all of the flourescent lights are reflected in them? At home they have superior contrast, black density, and color saturation. This is because they remove one of the film filters to make the screen brighter, at a cost of additional glare.

If you do professional color work, it is VERY worth the extra glare, which you don't get at home anyway, or at night in the dark.

No, I've worked in IT for years and come across the occasional "glossy" display, usually on Vaios I think. That said, I've never owned one, or taken it home for using "at night in the dark". It just seems a little odd to me, since photo/design professionals are the ones that always used to demand CRT hoods for keeping out all ambient light and glare.

I guess I'll have to spend some time with one and find out. I wonder if Apple will reconsider their retail lighting now?
  • Reply 32 of 95
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the statement "MacBooks available at most Apple stores" might be true, but the Flagship store in Phoenix at the Apple Biltmore has ZERO stock and no idea when they will get any.

Ordering from within the store is according to the apple geek priority but my status is showing (stock 1099 model):

Estimated Ship Date

May 23, 2006 \t

Estimated Arrival Date

May 26, 2006
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

1) How is the keyboard? Looks okay to me but lets ask. "Hey keyboard! How are you? - Fine Steve, just fine!"

1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top? Flip? Did we just join the circus? Doesn't look like it and it's not stated anywhere that it does.

5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it) Just because it's cool and that is only why. Marketing my friend, marketing.

funny, funny stuff.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Um, the answers were humorous and all and that's great, but his question regarding the keyboard "flipping up" was a good one.

The iBook keyboard had to be flipped up/out to install airport/memory while the 12" PowerBook was not. The 12" PowerBook keyboard had a superior feel to the iBook keyboard.

I'll probably be popping by the local Apple store at lunchtime to check these things out.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

Have they stolen the keyboard design from Sinclair QL?

Picture: http://www.silicium.org/images/catal...inclair/ql.jpg

Not really, but almost God, I miss my wonderful QL...

More like a Z88 as I mentioned in the other thread.

A rubber membrane around the keys would be nice. And Silent typing like the Z88.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

just because I've seen it a couple of times already, it's matte, not matt. I normally don't bother with trivial mispellings or usage issues, but it will only make things confusing if people think you're responding to someone named Matt...

You can use either according to the built in Apple dictionary.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Quote:

What a dick.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anybody know if it can be used in lid-closed mode (like the 12" PB)?
  • Reply 39 of 95
    The way the keys look, they almost remind me of the keyboard that shipped with the Apple IIGS. Or the IBM PC Jr. While I'm not crazy about the way the keyboard looks, I will have to try it before I pass judgement. Aside from that, I like the black. Reminds me of my old WallStreet. RIP *sniff*
  • Reply 40 of 95
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

the statement "MacBooks available at most Apple stores" might be true, but the Flagship store in Phoenix at the Apple Biltmore has ZERO stock and no idea when they will get any.

Ordering from within the store is according to the apple geek priority but my status is showing (stock 1099 model):

Estimated Ship Date

May 23, 2006 \t

Estimated Arrival Date

May 26, 2006

Update:

I wasn't happy with that order status so I called to cancel the order, the nice lady at Apple offered $50 off and overnight shipping!! I kept it, its a good deal.