Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 121 of 440
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

OMG why would you CTO your Mac with extra memory. Order a stick from newegg or something and save yourself 50 bucks. its so easy to install.

It would actually cost some people more to do that. To go from 2x256 to 2x512 Apple is charging $100. Outright buying 2 512 sticks is going to cost you about $140 at least. Then you have to go through the hassle of trying ot sell the old 2 256mb sticks to recoup the price. I can see your point if your looking at the 2gb upgrade as 2 1gb sticks would be around $300, and you could save $200 even if you threw away the 2 256mb sticks.

And no, you dont want to buy 1 1gb stick and put it in there, youll kill your video performance. They only sell them with dual channel configured memory with matching pairs for this reason. The Intel 950 runs MUCH better when its running with dual channel memory.
  • Reply 122 of 440
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Melgross, not trying to start a fight here, but seriously, it seems like you will say anything other than admitting that you were wrong?

I was one of the ones who predicted $1099 and was shot down by you and many others. I never said anything about processor speed. I simply said they will all be dual-core and include iSight, mag-safe connectors, latch, a remote control and the base model will cost $1099.

Of course they could have delivered a model at $999 by including a slower single-core processor and dropping some of the specs, but all signs (and rumors) were indicating that Apple was adding functionality and features, even to it's entry level machines..

AAPL typically always drops on announcement day and then rebounds to a higher price within a week. Today's drop is nothing un-usual.. The market is also reacting to the new Creative lawsuit.

$1099 is not too high, I'd be willing to bet that within a few months time, this will become Apple's best selling computer. However, I do agree that paying $150 extra for the color black is bit of a stretch to say the least.

Anyways, instead of just arguing for arguments sake, it's time to just admit that you were wrong and move on. No big deal..

I'll admit I was wrong. I thought there would be a $999 model with a core solo or 1.6ghz core duo like ecking predicted. While the 1099 price point is higher than what I wish they would begin the Macbooks at, they have overdelivered on the specs. I don't recall anyone predicting the entry level macbook to carry a 1.8 ghz core duo. For the price I think that is a great value.

As for the black Macbook eating into MBP sales, I actually see it the other way. I think it is to close to the entry level MBP and buyers will opt for the MBP instead of the black Macbook. I think the entry level Macbook will sell like hotcakes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Reply 123 of 440
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

It would actually cost some people more to do that. To go from 2x256 to 2x512 Apple is charging $100. Outright buying 2 512 sticks is going to cost you about $140 at least. Then you have to go through the hassle of trying ot sell the old 2 256mb sticks to recoup the price. I can see your point if your looking at the 2gb upgrade as 2 1gb sticks would be around $300, and you could save $200 even if you threw away the 2 256mb sticks.

And no, you dont want to buy 1 1gb stick and put it in there, youll kill your video performance. They only sell them with dual channel configured memory with matching pairs for this reason. The Intel 950 runs MUCH better when its running with dual channel memory.

Is the memory the same as the G4 iBook? Could I pull the 2x256 out and put it in my daughter's 14" G4?
  • Reply 124 of 440
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Is the memory the same as the G4 iBook? Could I pull the 2x256 out and put it in my daughter's 14" G4?

No the memory is different. It's 667mhz ddr2 ram I'm pretty sure. The same as in the imac, macmini and macbook pro.
  • Reply 125 of 440
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    The memory is completely different.
  • Reply 126 of 440
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

I don't think so. its 667mhz pc5300 so-dimm and your G4 takes PC2700 DDR.
  • Reply 127 of 440
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

No.
  • Reply 128 of 440
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Glossy or Matte displays should be BTO for all laptops.

I'm surprised Apple went with glossy in reality it sucks. You have to angle the screen away from glare and reflection behind you.

Glossy gives the impression of being sharper and more vivid because it reflects more light towards the eye.

No glossy totally sucks for professionals. If you need to see accurate color or contrast reflections and glare would totally corrupt the image.
  • Reply 129 of 440
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    1gb of ram for intel macs from gigaram costs $82 at newegg..and many reviews of intel mac owners sucessfully using it...so it's the best sure deal i've seen if you want to bump it...

a little disappointed with the gma950 but it's not that terrible

and i could care less about black laptops...that's so 90s and a total marketing ploy for the novelty factor...sure there are some resons it's useful esp for professionals, but the macbook isn't their professional line..
  • Reply 130 of 440
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    The CPUs are a nice upgrade, but integrated video in a $1300-1400 laptop? For shame Apple, for shame!

• Reply 131 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Front row and the remote are useful when it's hooked to a bigger screen (is there a mini DVI to TV adapter?). Heck, the remote is useful when it's hooked to the stereo, do you need to see the screen to turn volume up and down, or to skip to the next song? And yes, I'd consider widescreen a feature considering how many people are watching videos on their laptops.

Yes, there is a mini DVI to S-Video adapter available ($20). For sound, you can pick up a mini-jack to split stereo pretty much anywhere these days.

Still, these space-wasting features leave me begging for another "professional" ultraportable notebook from Apple. An alternative for people who want something lighter and smaller with a good battery life. In the meantime, there's plenty of fight left in my pb.
  • Reply 132 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've just got back from checking these out at lunch and the MacBooks are gonna be serious hits.

The black is a very classy looking machine. Has a good solid feel and seems resistant to scratching.

The white is very similar in color/texture to the opaque iBooks.

The keyboards are nice. They're very solid and nice feel to them. Thewhole keyboard is also recessed a bit so key marks on the screen should be a thing of the past for certain.

Magnetic latching is amazing and has a very positive feel to it. You won't be accidentally popping it open. It's very much akin to the Magsafe power connector. It's either definitely open or definitely shut. No vagueness at all.

The glossy screen looks nice. I can see how it could cause some glare but I'm fairly certain I'd be very happy with it.

All in all, very worthy upgrades and should sell extremely well.

That's all I have for now. I couldn't play more because they were just setting up the two demo machines.

ps - the battery on these things looks significantly larger than the old iBook/PowerBook batteries. It may be thinner but I'd guess that's where some of the increased weight stems from in these new machines. They certainly don't *look* like they should weigh more than an iBook judging by looks alone.
  • Reply 133 of 440
    pavelpavel Posts: 6member
    European prices (incl. VAT):

Germany: 1079 EUR / 1279 EUR / 1479 EUR

Austria: 1119 EUR / 1319 EUR / 1519 EUR

Italy: 1119 EUR / 1319 EUR / 1519 EUR

France: 1099 EUR / 1299 EUR / 1499 EUR

• Reply 134 of 440
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

The CPUs are a nice upgrade, but integrated video in a $1300-1400 laptop? For shame Apple, for shame!

Throw a little shame Lennovo's way. They are about to introduce widescreen core duo laptops. Only in the top end model can you configure a machine wih a graphics card. Intel itegrated graphics only on the lower models. While pricing has not released in the article it did mention that in the celeron m configuration price would 'dip' below $1000. It wouldn't be difficult to see $1400 thinkpads with core duos and integrated graphics.

link http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2323
  • Reply 135 of 440
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Still, these space-wasting features leave me begging for another "professional" ultraportable notebook from Apple. An alternative for people who want something lighter and smaller with a good battery life. In the meantime, there's plenty of fight left in my pb.

Space wasting? What, the IR? The widescreen?

This thing is only slightly wider than the old 12". If you want something smaller, you really want a completely new model, not a rehash of the small powerbooks.
  • Reply 136 of 440
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Looks like Apple is planning to rake in the cash with the black MacBook for...$200 MORE!!! (ok...so it's got 20 extra gigs of storage space...that's not worth 200 more. )

They must be charging for the rare indigo black dye in the plastic.
  • Reply 137 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    After seeing it firsthand, I'd say the black looks really fantastic. That said, I'd go for the white anyhow. I'm not that image conscious and I'd rather put the money saved toward drive/RAM upgrades.

I can definitely see a lot of people buying it though as it *does* look that good in person.
  • Reply 138 of 440
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

1gb of ram for intel macs from gigaram costs $82 at newegg..and many reviews of intel mac owners sucessfully using it...so it's the best sure deal i've seen if you want to bump it...

a little disappointed with the gma950 but it's not that terrible

and i could care less about black laptops...that's so 90s and a total marketing ploy for the novelty factor...sure there are some resons it's useful esp for professionals, but the macbook isn't their professional line..

thats strange that newegg has many brands that cheap, while crucial and many other direct memory sellers are double that price.

Grabbing 2 1gb sticks under 200 would be very nice and saving a lot of money, just dont grab one stick, make sure you keep matching paris of memory. It will work without matching pairs, but the intel GMA950 will suffer a lot.

I'm not sure who to trust though, as some of the bigger better brands have double the prices, or the same prices for much slower memory. This is very odd overall, and i cant even find that stick of memory Newegg has on Gigarams website.
  • Reply 139 of 440
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

thats strange that newegg has many brands that cheap, while crucial and many other direct memory sellers are double that price.

Grabbing 2 1gb sticks under 200 would be very nice and saving a lot of money, just dont grab one stick, make sure you keep matching paris of memory. It will work without matching pairs, but the intel GMA950 will suffer a lot.

I'm not sure who to trust though, as some of the bigger better brands have double the prices, or the same prices for much slower memory. This is very odd overall, and i cant even find that stick of memory Newegg has on Gigarams website.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in RAM.. To be safe, I'd stick with trusted brands like Crucial. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Reply 140 of 440
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I'm really upset about the 12-inch, I hate that scratch prone case on the MacBook. Give me a Alu please, 12-inch or smaller.

i'll sell you my 12".....