Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Without seeing one of these in person, I can only guess that the speakers are in the same poition as on previous iBooks: they aim out the BACK of the case, but with the screen opened, the sound is reflected forward. Has anyone seen these in person and can verify?
  • Reply 42 of 95
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Originally posted by concentricity

Ok, here are my questions about the new MacBooks

1) How is the keyboard? Looks okay to me but lets ask. "Hey keyboard! How are you? - Fine Steve, just fine!"

1a) Does the keyboard flip up, or is it "integrated" into the top? Flip? Did we just join the circus? Doesn't look like it and it's not stated anywhere that it does.

2) Where are the speakers? In there, somewhere.

3) Where are the RAM slots? I'm sure there inside somewhere too.

4) How bad is the glare off the display? I dunno. Go check one out.

5) Why is the Black model $200 more? (the bump from 60GB to 80GB certainly doesn't justify it) Just because it's cool and that is only why. Marketing my friend, marketing.

What a worthless post. Go away.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

What a worthless post. Go away.

This, on the other hand, was constructive.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    the tech specs claim "intergrated stereo speakers" but i dont see any?
  • Reply 45 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Without seeing one of these in person, I can only guess that the speakers are in the same poition as on previous iBooks: they aim out the BACK of the case, but with the screen opened, the sound is reflected forward. Has anyone seen these in person and can verify?

The shit they think up is ingenious I never had an iBook and never knew that
  • Reply 46 of 95
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    if the speakers are on the "back" of the "base" of the computer, couldn't they not be larger that about half an inch in diameter? and wouldnt the hinges be in the way?
  • Reply 47 of 95
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Did the later revision iBooks have a keyboard that flipped out? I thought it didn't. At any rate by the looks of this, I'm %99 sure the MacBook doesn't have one, because there's no latches for it. And the RAM slots I'm assuming are most likely under the battery.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    I'm also guessing the the magnetic latch is pretty strong judging by the strength of the mag safe adapter on the MacBook Pro, which is pretty good.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Anybody know if it can be used in lid-closed mode (like the 12" PB)?

Yes, they can. After looking at Apple's notebook comparison chart you will see there is less of a reason to get a MacBook Pro now than there ever was.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Did the later revision iBooks have a keyboard that flipped out? I thought it didn't. At any rate by the looks of this, I'm %99 sure the MacBook doesn't have one, because there's no latches for it. And the RAM slots I'm assuming are most likely under the battery.

It does flip out to add RAM on the iBooks. The 12" PowerBook didn't though. As much as I like the iBook keyboard, the ones on the PowerBook were better, as someone else mentioned.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by cactus

if the speakers are on the "back" of the "base" of the computer, couldn't they not be larger that about half an inch in diameter? and wouldnt the hinges be in the way?

No, I'm sure the speakers are horizontal with a "wave tube" out the back
  • Reply 52 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Yes, they can. After looking at Apple's notebook comparison chart you will see there is less of a reason to get a MacBook Pro now than there ever was.

Not really. If you use FCP or Aperature (pro apps) you will have to have a MBP. They require dedicated graphics. I'll hazard to guess that when CS3 is released this will require dedicated graphics as well. So if you use pro apps you will need a pro laptop. Otherwise the Macbooks are a great value for the everday user.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'll hazard to guess that when CS3 is released this will require dedicated graphics as well.

Why? That's a 2D software package and integrated works fine for that. The integrated graphics also support Core Image so that's not an issue either. In fact, when CS3 is released it should absolutely scream on the MacBooks compared to how it runs on the iBooks and PowerBook 12" that are being replaced.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Why? That's a 2D software package and integrated works fine for that. The integrated graphics also support Core Image so that's not an issue either. In fact, when CS3 is released it should absolutely scream on the MacBooks compared to how it runs on the iBooks and PowerBook 12" that are being replaced.

Maybe it won't require a video card. Aperature does require a video card however so perhaps if CS3 adds features it will need dedicated graphics as well. My point is though that the pro apps will by and large push those users into MBPs and not Macbooks.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

No, matte. Which looks better

You forgot to mention that it looks better IYHO -

IMHO, glossy would have looked awesome. Should have matched the black iPods
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Maybe it won't require a video card. Aperature does require a video card however so perhaps if CS3 adds features it will need dedicated graphics as well. My point is though that the pro apps will by and large push those users into MBPs and not Macbooks.

The main page has Aperture on the MacBook screen, so either apple is confused, or the integrated graphics will run Aperture just fine

Edit: although, the aperture graphic card specs on the Apple store say otherwise,

Quote:

One of the following graphics cards: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition; ATI Radeon X850 XT; ATI Radeon X1600; ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro; ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650; ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600; ATI Mobility Radeon X1600; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500

• Reply 57 of 95
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

True, but the integrated graphics is one big reason
  • Reply 58 of 95
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

The main page has Aperture on the MacBook screen, so either apple is confused, or the integrated graphics will run Aperture just fine

Edit: although, the aperture graphic card specs on the Apple store say otherwise,

That's iPhoto '06. Spiffy, isn't it?
  • Reply 59 of 95
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

The iBook keyboard had to be flipped up/out to install airport/memory while the 12" PowerBook was not. The 12" PowerBook keyboard had a superior feel to the iBook keyboard.

Good point.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    am i the only one bothered by the typeface apple started using on the keyboards on the laptops these days? i am not a touch-typist... i suppose i am somewhere between hunt-n-peck and touch, just out of constant typing and general familiarity. so this means i glance down fairly often to get myself oriented while typing. i just find the typeface throws me off terribly. especially how the "W" and "M" are essentially flipped versions of each other.

anyway, it's a minor gripe, but it's been bugging me for a while. i guess i just don't see why they would make a distinction between keyboards for the desktop and laptop. any industrial designers around here want to hazard a guess? is there a solid human-interface reason for it, or just a "steve likes the typeface 'futura rounded' on his laptops" reason?