iWeb

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I would like to create a website with iWeb but when i create it the address contents all the time my name (ex : web.mac.com/myname/websitename )

Is there any way to have a website address name without this info ? or is it possible to create another adress linked to this address ?

Thank you for any help...

Steph

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ptitsteph

Hello,

I would like to create a website with iWeb but when i create it the address contents all the time my name (ex : web.mac.com/myname/websitename )

Is there any way to have a website address name without this info ? or is it possible to create another adress linked to this address ?

Thank you for any help...

Steph

You can easily register an alternate domain name & forward that the the iWeb address
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by drnat

You can easily register an alternate domain name & forward that the the iWeb address

Ok thank you but how do you create an alternate domain name ??

and how can i forward the iWeb adress ?

Sorry but i am a novice in Mac...

Thank again
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    This isn't a Mac issue so much as an internet issue. I am probably not the best person to explain the details but basically you can register any domain name that isn't already taken (e.g., apple.com is a domain name that is taken). Generally you will have to pay someone to do this, who, in turn, publishes a directory of domains and where they point. I use http://www.mydomain.com/ but there are lots of other people around providing a similar service. Maybe someone who has surveyed the options recently has a recommendation (I just started using mydomain a couple years ago because a friend was using it and I asked him to check out if something was taken and before I knew it, I owned it).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    As above - this is internet skills & not Mac specific.

I have used www.123reg.co.uk & can recommend them - they are UK based (as I am) & there is self-explanatory ways to forward the user to another URL from your domain name. This can be done either within the current window, or by opening a new one.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The bastarn iWeb wont publish!! I been to the discussion forums, and i've tried it all
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If you don't want to pay to register a domain name, I'd suggest using dotTK: http://www.dot.tk It's free and you don't have to have any advertising or banners or pop ups on your site. It's pretty easy to figure out pointing your .tk address to your .mac site (just paste in that long, ugly address you don't like).

As far as iWeb not publishing, seems lots of people are having this issue with the update to 1.1. My comments keep disappearing so I think there might be some bugs to be ironed out.