Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Not really. If you use FCP or Aperature (pro apps) you will have to have a MBP. They require dedicated graphics. I'll hazard to guess that when CS3 is released this will require dedicated graphics as well. So if you use pro apps you will need a pro laptop. Otherwise the Macbooks are a great value for the everday user.

I've read elsewhere reports of people running Aperture and FCP already. Not officially supported, but reportedly they run fine. I'd be VERY surprised if CS3 needed a dedicated graphics chip. Worst case, there might be a couple plugins that run faster with it.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

just because I've seen it a couple of times already, it's matte, not matt. I normally don't bother with trivial mispellings or usage issues, but it will only make things confusing if people think you're responding to someone named Matt...

you are wrong MATT is usually used in respect of paint as in a MATT finnish, as opposed to a GLOSS finnish.

MATTE is something you might use in photoshop.

trust me i've done enough painting to know im right.

Rod
  • Reply 63 of 95
    Does anyone know definitatively whether or not the white MabBook is in "matte" white or a glossy finish?
  • Reply 64 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

I've read elsewhere reports of people running Aperture and FCP already. Not officially supported, but reportedly they run fine. I'd be VERY surprised if CS3 needed a dedicated graphics chip. Worst case, there might be a couple plugins that run faster with it.

We'll just have to wait and see how things shake out after testing. I'm sure Macworld, Ars and Anand will run these through the ringer and we'll find out what they are capable of.
  • Reply 65 of 95
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

you are wrong MATT is usually used in respect of paint as in a MATT finnish, as opposed to a GLOSS finnish.

MATTE is something you might use in photoshop.

trust me i've done enough painting to know im right.

Rod

Well, you are right and wrong at the same time.

• Reply 66 of 95
    imjustgimjustg Posts: 2member
    ok, so what is that little thing next to the IR port? i am assuming it is the sleep light unless the sleep light is under the surface like the ibooks were. seems like an odd place for it, but whatever. any other ideas. maybe a lock port, but again, very odd/bad place for that.
  • Reply 67 of 95
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    so about this magnetic closure thing... does that mean the lid closes and holds together like a refrigerator door? and, i know some people have made mention of this before, but what is UP with apple going magnet-happy all over the place? magnets to hold the lid down. magnets to hold the remote on the case. magnets to hold the power cable in place.

isn't anyone a wee bit concerned about data loss? or accidentally leaving a credit card on the laptop during a transaction? or am i just being overly paranoid?
  • Reply 68 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lhvide

You forgot to mention that it looks better IYHO -

IMHO, glossy would have looked awesome. Should have matched the black iPods

I did your right about that, but you must have forget about scratches did you?
  • Reply 69 of 95
    turtlebudturtlebud Posts: 14member
    is it just me or does the new black macbook kind of look like a pc in the first picture? the keys kind of make the black model look like a toy computer.

i'll have to go look in person - the pictures might not do it justice (though they are nice shots)
  • Reply 70 of 95
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Anybody know if it can be used in lid-closed mode (like the 12" PB)?

The comparison chart of all the macbooks says it can.. linky somewhere on the apple page..
  • Reply 71 of 95
    yah, what's the bar on the left of the IR sensor? an LED?

http://images.appleinsider.com/macbook-2.jpg
  • Reply 72 of 95
    just found a great diaram:

• Reply 73 of 95
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maverick18x

just found a great diaram:

The sleep light is no longer hidden? Very un-Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 95
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iCollegeBook

Does anyone know definitatively whether or not the white MabBook is in "matte" white or a glossy finish?

My white MacBook is glossy
  • Reply 75 of 95
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

That's iPhoto '06. Spiffy, isn't it?

Oh.. ha ha so it is
  • Reply 76 of 95
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Maybe it's just me but the black model it's cool that they have black but it's just not moving me. It's just not doing it for me I like the white MacBooks. Teh Sexy.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

so about this magnetic closure thing... does that mean the lid closes and holds together like a refrigerator door?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by rok

what is UP with apple going magnet-happy all over the place? magnets to hold the lid down. magnets to hold the remote on the case. magnets to hold the power cable in place.

Fewer "moving" parts? More elegant?
  • Reply 78 of 95
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Fewer "moving" parts? More elegant?

the moving parts, i'll grant you. elegance, though, is a bit subjective. like, for me, elegance is simply the perfect solution to a problem, and that can take many forms. if it actually requires a visible latch or mechanism, so be it, so long as it does the job perfectly. that's not to say some style can't figure into it.like, my wife's pismo has a plastic latch at the front of the lid, and while it is a mechanical solution, it works great, and the style they molded it into is an elegant addition to the overall unit. but hey, i'll give 'em credit for trying something new. and maybe once i work with it for a while, i'll go "hey, this IS a great idea. why didn't they do it sooner?"
  • Reply 79 of 95
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the moving parts, i'll grant you. elegance, though, is a bit subjective. like, for me, elegance is simply the perfect solution to a problem, and that can take many forms. if it actually requires a visible latch or mechanism, so be it, so long as it does the job perfectly. that's not to say some style can't figure into it.like, my wife's pismo has a plastic latch at the front of the lid, and while it is a mechanical solution, it works great, and the style they molded it into is an elegant addition to the overall unit. but hey, i'll give 'em credit for trying something new. and maybe once i work with it for a while, i'll go "hey, this IS a great idea. why didn't they do it sooner?"

I'll say the magnet is a great solution, from the bit I've used it. It's fundamentally unbreakable.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by turtlebud

is it just me or does the new black macbook kind of look like a pc in the first picture? the keys kind of make the black model look like a toy computer.

i'll have to go look in person - the pictures might not do it justice (though they are nice shots)

I thought the same thing, but it does look way better in person. I almost had second thoughts while in the store.