Windows Media Player silently installs into /Applications as non-admin

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
WTF?!?!?

I wanted to view a video online using RealPlayer, but I couldn't get the plugin working correctly. Despite my wariness with Microsoft, I thought I'd give WMP 9 for OS X a try.

My user account has no admin privileges. When I install into /Applications, I get prompted for my admin user and password every time.

So how the hell was I able to install WMP by running the installer file without getting prompted for my admin username/password ?!?!?!?

That's right. The WMP installer created files in /Applications without prompting me.

Needless to say, I find this extremely disturbing. If there's some kind of security hole in OS X that allows somebody to circumvent my paranoid security settings, I want to know about it.

Since I couldn't get the WMP plugin to work anyway, I deleted all files related to that program and emptied my trash.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Why exactly are you installing WMP instead of using the QT component, as recommended by Microsoft?

Also, admins can always write to /Applications. So, assuming you're an admin, it's optional for installers to ask you. They certainly should, though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Why exactly are you installing WMP instead of using the QT component, as recommended by Microsoft?

Also, admins can always write to /Applications. So, assuming you're an admin, it's optional for installers to ask you. They certainly should, though.

No, I'm not an admin. I consciously removed admin privileges from my user account. I created a separate admin account to install stuff to /Applications, among other things.

You'll probably tell me that's not necessary, but I'm super paranoid about security.

Edit: Minor gramatical errors.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

No, I'm not an admin. I consciously removed admin privileges from my user account. I created a separate admin account to install stuff to /Applications, among other things.

You'll probably tell me that's not necessary, but I'm super paranoid about security.

Sounds like something borked up your permissions. ChizenCo perhaps?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Sounds like something borked up your permissions. ChizenCo perhaps?

I know you're being facetious, but I reinstalled RealPlayer minutes later and was prompted for my username/password.

<Tinfoil Hat>

Is it possible that, due to the 1997 agreement with Apple, Microsoft has access to secret OS X API's that allow them to circument user-defined security settings?

</Tinfoil Hat>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thats fucking bullshit
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I too run as a non-admin user. I just tried to install WMP9 found at

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...d=windowsmedia

It asked me for my login and password.

Now I have to uninstall that POS...