Which portable would you buy?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If you had to buy a portable computer next week, what would you buy?

If a Mod would like to add the 17" MBP and another category "other" that would be really helpful. I only had 10 choices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Nice poll. Hope lots of forum viewers will participate. Results will be interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Nice poll. Hope lots of forum viewers will participate. Results will be interesting.

Me, too. We now have a full family to choose from.

It would be nice if people would quickly drop a note about their choice and what they do.

For example:

MacBook 2.0 Black decked out

Kindergarten student
  • Reply 3 of 43
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I want a 20" MacBook Pro w/max. RAM, dual HDDs & pro-level (ie - QuadroFXGo or Mobility FireGL) OpenGL GPUs?

Why??!? Why not?!?!

;^p

But I voted maxed-out black MB?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Where's the poll option for a tortured cry of "I don't know! I just don't know!"?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Just buy one of each, play with them until you can choose your favorite, then send me the rest.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Why would more people buy the Black MacBook with added memory and hard drive when those are both user upgradeable for a lot cheaper? Am I missing something? I feel like finally apple has given us an option of being able to buy the model we want and upgrade on our own.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Why would more people buy the Black MacBook with added memory and hard drive when those are both user upgradeable for a lot cheaper? Am I missing something? I feel like finally apple has given us an option of being able to buy the model we want and upgrade on our own.

I voted for Black with upgrade. I would do this on my own. Maybe I misinterpreted the question. I was merely responding that I want one but want an upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Yeah, me too. But my thinking is I replace the ram sticks on my own. And then maybe the hard drive in a year or so once with (hopefully) something like a 140-200 gig 5400 drive should those exist by then.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Why would more people buy the Black MacBook with added memory and hard drive when those are both user upgradeable for a lot cheaper?

Even though, say, $50 is more than an extra 20GB of drive space is worth, you can't order a MacBook with no drive at all and throw in your own 80GB drive. Since you have to pay for at least a 60GB drive, it ends up making more sense to grin and bear it and pay the extra $50 to Apple for an 80GB drive.

Same with the RAM -- in most cases you'd have to pull out what's in there before you put in something new, and that ends up making at least some of Apple's RAM upgrades a more reasonable option than they might otherwise be.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Even though, say, $50 is more than an extra 20GB of drive space is worth, you can't order a MacBook with no drive at all and throw in your own 80GB drive. Since you have to pay for at least a 60GB drive, it ends up making more sense to grin and bear it and pay the extra $50 to Apple for an 80GB drive.

Same with the RAM -- in most cases you'd have to pull out what's in there before you put in something new, and that ends up making at least some of Apple's RAM upgrades a more reasonable option than they might otherwise be.

I agree. I'm buying the black MacBook. I was just curious about the poll options only in the black MacBook vrs. Black MacBook wth upgrades votes being so scewed towards the upgrades rather than the stock since I would have thought that most of us on this forum would recognize that if we wanted to buy the Black MacBook we'd be foolish not to go ahead and buy the stock rather than the Black MacBook with APPLE upgrades. But maybe I misunderstand...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Some people are alread buying the things. If so, check it here.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    After a strong start, this has faded...
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I finally decided on features and looks over portability and price, and got myself a 2.16 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB, 1GB.

If Apple ever does come out with the 13" MacBook Pro I really want, there's always eBay.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I don't intend to do anything 3D oriented on the notebook, so I sprung for the white Macbook. Took the money I would have spent getting a black one + 1gb of RAM and bought 2GB from a seperate store. Installed it myself.

Voila. Power computing for $1600.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    The results look interesting already. Would love to know what Apple's sales statistics are telling them.

A mere 7% for the as-is low-end.

45% for the 2GHz (black or white) with memory/HD "goosed". The "sweet spot" I guess.

What year do we expect 1GB RAM to become standard? 2008?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm surprised as well. The 1.8 ghz MB looks like a great deal. The others, especially the black 2.0 ghz MB, don't look as attractive to me. Good thing I wasn't in Apple's premarket research group. I would have steered them in the wrong direction.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm surprised as well. The 1.8 ghz MB looks like a great deal. The others, especially the black 2.0 ghz MB, don't look as attractive to me. Good thing I wasn't in Apple's premarket research group. I would have steered them in the wrong direction.

Honestly, the low end IS the best deal. I would have gone for it except that I can/will use a DVD burner.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    I'll be buying the low-end Macbook and upgrading the RAM and HD myself. I can live without a Superdrive while on the road.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I'll be buying the low-end Macbook and upgrading the RAM and HD myself. I can live without a Superdrive while on the road.

Eh. To me it would be about having fewer devices I need to have hanging around and plugged in. External super drive means two more cables...desk space...yech. I hate cables. I think Steve Jobs and I are "soul mates" in that regard.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Eh. To me it would be about having fewer devices I need to have hanging around and plugged in. External super drive means two more cables...desk space...yech. I hate cables. I think Steve Jobs and I are "soul mates" in that regard.

I already have a 20" iMac Core Duo for my dvd-burning needs.

I sold my final revision 17" PB and the proceeds were just enough to purchase the iMac with almost enough left over for the low-end Macbook.