What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.

Maybe it's cheaper? I dunno the thing only cost like 1K. I'm surprised it's as good as it is. Now begins the wait for a black Pro. I know Sony and some other companies market it as their own with different names for "glare reduction".
  • Reply 2 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    It's teh sexy.

Makes my pictures look like photos.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    This is potentially a problem for me too. I was going to buy, but now I feel I have to see one, and this is not easy.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I believe you have a choice between glossy and matte screens. No extra costs either way. Choice is good.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

This is potentially a problem for me too. I was going to buy, but now I feel I have to see one, and this is not easy.

yeah..i went to the local Apple retailer (Baillos in Santa Fe) and of course they didn't have one...freaking 1-2 weeks...i hate being out in the middle of nowhere. I ***HAVE*** to see it before I lay any money down.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I believe you have a choice between glossy and matte screens. No extra costs either way. Choice is good.

I think they're all glossy, no choice.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Unfortunately, that's only with the MacBook Pro. The MacBooks have glossy screens, no choice about it.

In response to the original poster, glossy screens are very popular in the "PC" world. Presumably because they look cool. They increase colour saturation, contrast and perceived sharpness, in exchange for increased glare. They are therefore pretty cool for showing off photos or watching movies. Personally, I prefer a matte screen, but it seems that the majority of the market disagrees. It would be lovely if Apple offered the option, but perhaps the 13" screens they are using only come in the glossy flavour?
  • Reply 9 of 75
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    I'm sure people have seen the MacBook up close, by now... So how is the screen? Is there considerably more glare for the MacBook than the matte MBP?
  • Reply 10 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

It would be lovely if Apple offered the option, but perhaps the 13" screens they are using only come in the glossy flavour?

No, I think they're matte screens covered with plastic. Most PC screens are; they're matte underneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:

No, I think they're matte screens covered with plastic. Most PC screens are; they're matte underneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Its like a coating they spray on/stick on/whatever.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Its like a coating they spray on/stick on/whatever.

I suspect this is true. The question is: who sprays on the coating? The screen manufacturer or Apple?

Thinking about it, even if it's the screen manufacturer, you would have thought Apple will be buying enough to ask them to supply some without the coating.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. If you are in the position to buy a bunch of LCD's, you'll find that it's not at all a pure OEM industry. In other words, there are a lot of value added services. In other other words, if you're buying large enough quantities you can specify the way you want the backlight installed, the reflector (if you want a reflector), the interface, the actual glass (i.e. silicon), the polarization, and the plastic lamiinate. The plastic laminate goes straight on top of the glass & liquid crystals.

Apple should have no problem specifying the exact type of plastic used for the laminate, the thickness, the AR coating. . . everything.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    Quote:

I don't get it.

This makes perfect sense to me.

If one goes into a store and looks at an iBook or a MacBook for that matter, the glossy Toshibas, Sonys, etc right next to them just look so new, shiny, and so very "neato!," as I have heard. I surmise that deep inside the consciousness of the consumer the matte screen is considered "old" and "outdated." As well, I relate this very similarly to the deer in the headlight syndrome--the practicality is lost to the "wow! factor." And I'd put money on the "wow! factor" 9 times out 10 when dealing with entry level computer buyers..

Also, again, I don't have the focus group or marketing data to back this up, but I bet the closer Apple gets to matching the specs of similarly priced entry level laptops, while surpassing them on non specable things such as look and feel, they are predicting they will have exponentially greater sales..
  • Reply 15 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Jeez LGnome is right. It'll please all the stupidass switchers, and PISS OFF all the Mac users that want a nice but small laptop. Good thing they don't have a 12" MacBook Pro..

I was going to buy this thing after a month or two of logic board bug-killing revs. Now...I just don't know. Perhaps they'll fix this? I'll wait and see.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    I seems to me that this should be similar to the old days of CRTs. They were glass too and in some circumstances displayed quite a lot of glare. The differens is that the displays of yore were supposed to sit in offices everywhere where the lighting conditions could be adjusted to work well with the displays, whereas these MacBooks are supposed to be used everywhere, including outside, where direct sunlight can be a real problem.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    buddy of mine came over tonight who bought the first black macbook from the santa monica store. i have to say the glossy screen didn't seem that bad at all. certainly not compared to some pc laptops i've seen. of course most of the other glossy screen laptops i've fooled with were in best buy. but i'm sure there's a way to control just how glossy the screen is. i found his screen to be quite nice. i'm not sure if i'd opt for it personally on a mbp, but it wasn't bad at all.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, the nice thing is the screen is so freakin' bright, I doubt the glare is noticeable. And like a previous poster said, it increases colour saturation and contrast ratio, making your computer screen more 'lickable'...
  • Reply 19 of 75
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    Lickable or not, I'm going for a matte Macbook Pro. I'm going to use it outside once in a while and maybe I'm just a bit old fashion.

What about looking a the glossy screen for hours at a time. Will the eyes get more "tired", or is there no difference?

Any thoughts?

Soeren
  • Reply 20 of 75
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I picked up a MacBook yesterday and was using it indoors from mid-afternoon through the evening.

Straight-on, glare is no worse than any CRT I've used. From angles (people trying to watch the screen) it can be a little more distracting.

The saturation and black level is very, very nice. It's a fair trade-off for me, but I agree that it would have been nice if they'd made it an option.