Apple updates Intel Mac firmware (again)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday release a new SMC Firmware Update for all of its Intel Mac models (except the new 13-inch MacBook).

In a brief set of release notes, the company said the updates address "intermittent boot issues with the Intel-based iMac."

A list of the firmware updates follows:

iMac (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update

iMac (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update (< 1MB) addresses intermittent boot issues with the Intel-based iMac (Early 2006).

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update (< 1MB) addresses intermittent boot issues with MacBook Pro.

Mac mini (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update

Mac mini (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update (< 1MB) addresses intermittent boot issues with MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I've never had any boot issues, but I'll install it anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    More than likely, this is to add features/capabilities for a future release of something.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They gave a warning that the fan would go to full speed, I think this firmware was meant for cleaning out any dust that may have got into our Mac's. Gosh apple thinks of everything
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

They gave a warning that the fan would go to full speed, I think this firmware was meant for cleaning out any dust that may have got into our Mac's. Gosh apple thinks of everything

Because the next OS X update is going to allow all Intel based Macs to fly!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

It cleared all the dust bunnies out of mine......fans went highspeed and it snowed dust bunnies. How do I clean the inside out?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I tried installing on my 17 inch MBP and it said this computer does not need this update ...must only be for 15 inch MBP
  • Reply 7 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    WOW, I've noticed a definite difference what booting, restarting and shutting down!!

(1) Restarting now is 30 seconds flat on my 1.83 Core Duo iMac.

(2) Shutdown is now 5 seconds flat, everytime
  • Reply 8 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What does SMC stand for?

Edit: "System Management Control" apparently
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    People over at MacRumors are reporting that apparently the "stealth" fix in this SMC update is that the fans now stay on all the time. This fixes two issues:

1) The MacBook Pro "moo" which was caused by the noise of the fans starting up.

2) Heat issues, reports have MacBook Pros now running several degrees cooler, presumably due to the extra airflow.

Of course, it does mean a noisier machine, but not too bad.

Nothing like the fans while installing, I think my mini actually moved across the desk a bit when those jets started roaring.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think that is standard behavior for a lot of Apple's firmware updates for PPC units too.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr_lha

People over at MacRumors are reporting that apparently the "stealth" fix in this SMC update is that the fans now stay on all the time. This fixes two issues:

1) The MacBook Pro "moo" which was caused by the noise of the fans starting up.

2) Heat issues, reports have MacBook Pros now running several degrees cooler, presumably due to the extra airflow.

Of course, it does mean a noisier machine, but not too bad.

Nothing like the fans while installing, I think my mini actually moved across the desk a bit when those jets started roaring.

I would think the first problem is due to a faulty fan that simply should be replaced, it could be a looseness in the bearings.

The second part I welcome so long as the fan doesn't blast full tilt at machine idling with a sound like a GPU fan. Still, currently my fans are so quiet that I really don't hear them, I think I feel them a little bit, so I don't really know what it is like to have them on at full.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr_lha

Now THAT is a great image.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I was lying in bed when I did it and the fan definetely turned on full speed.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    I can confirm than my MBP 15" definitely seems to run cooler. I can use it on my lap now and only notice a small amount of heat. Way to go Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    No noticeable change in heat here -- still pretty warm. I have no way of measuring it, though, so take that for whatever it means.

I've also heard that this might address the high-pitched noise, but I still get that too. Running Photo Booth still stops it.

MBP 15" 2.16GHz 7200RPM