MB v. MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking at the MB and MBP and it seems like apple has removed many of the reasons to thet the pro version rather than the consumer version. I know when i got my powerbook, i chose it for the DVI out.

Now, the MacBook also has the miniDVI out. Besides the prossesors (which are both dual core), why would one want to get the pro version?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Better graphics.

Firewire 800 (on the 17") version.

Larger screen at higher resolution.

Expansion card slot.

...to name a few.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    hmmm...

Dedicated GPU

Backlit keyboard

2" More screen space

slightly Better battery

$700 premium

beats me.

But I'll wait for Core2 Duo 15" MBP anyway when it arrives at MWDC06 or shortly there after.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Thanks guys. I just wanted to confirm that i could get an MB. I will still try to convince the powers that be that i need a MBP so i have some bargaining leverage
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i-am-an-elfi-am-an-elf Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

beats me.

But I'll wait for Core2 Duo 15" MBP anyway when it arrives at MWDC06 or shortly there after.

umm, is there going to be a 15" Macbook. If there is it will have a lot of the same stuff as a pro and I'm not sure if apple wants to do that. and apple says on their website ( http://www.iphone.org/hardware/ ) "Meet the Family, Now COMPLETE" i want a 12", 13" is a little to big for me, i like my laptops small
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

umm, is there going to be a 15" Macbook. If there is it will have a lot of the same stuff as a pro and I'm not sure if apple wants to do that. and apple says on their website ( http://www.iphone.org/hardware/ ) "Meet the Family, Now COMPLETE" i want a 12", 13" is a little to big for me, i like my laptops small

I don't understand what you want to say.

There is no 15"MacBook.

I don't expect a 15"MacBook either, I was talking about an expected Q3/Q4 updated 15"MacBook Pro (15"MBP) I'll probally buy.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Here's my reasoning:

As long as there was a 14" iBook, and a 12" PowerBook, that overlap meant that Apple had to keep a lot of features out of the iBook line so that customers would be tempted to buy the PowerBooks.

Now that there is no 14-inch option for the "iBook" (MB), and there is no "small PowerBook" (12"), the customer's first decision is 13 inch versus 15 inch. That explains most of the price difference, as far as the sales/marketing goes. It's something the customer can see immediately.

Previously, the customer could choose the 14 inch Ibook and not feel as compelled to go to the PowerBook for a bigger screen. So the other features of the PowerBook had to be the "upsell" attractions.

Apple is now free to add all the stuff like audio in/out, DVI, dual core, same processor speed, camera, remote, etc. to the MB because the customer is now going to choose MB vs MBP primarily on screen size. Customers always ask the sales rep "what is the difference between product A and product B" when they see the price difference. It's much easier to explain it by screen size than to try and explain integrated graphics. Then you can still upsell them by mentioning the backlight, graphics and card slot.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's much easier to explain it by screen size than to try and explain integrated graphics. Then you can still upsell them by mentioning the backlight, graphics and card slot.

If you want the backlight and the GPU (I personally don't care about the card slot), but still want the extra portability of the 13" size, the "upsell" to 15" is a mixed bag, not a straight forward "more bucks = better" equation.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I just created a new thread about it but i will also add it here. What about the glossy screens?