Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A forthcoming update to Apple Computer's Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system will deliver improvements to the company's Mail.app and Safari Web browser applications, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources, the first external pre-release copies of the update, Mac OS X 10.4.7, began making their way into the hands of Apple developers on Monday.

The software builds were labeled "Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J111" for PowerPC Macs and "Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J2111" for Intel machines, those sources said.

Mac OS X 10.4.7 will be the seventh maintenance and security update to Mac OS X Tiger since Apple first shipped the software last April.

Already sources claim the early builds of the update have patched "over 60" significant issues not addressed by Mac OS X 10.4.6, the most recent release of Tiger.

Specifically, Apple is reported to have asked developers to focus their testing efforts on Mail.app, Safari, Syncing, and iChat. The company also indicated that Mac OS X 10.4.7 would offer improvements for its professional photography customers who are running Aperture.

Those developers testing Mac OS X 10.4.7 have commented that the initial builds of the update are rather stable for an inaugural developer release. They list only a handful of known issues related to the Calculator and Mail.app applications.

Apple is expected to release the software update later this spring, ahead of plans to unveil its next-generation operating system overhaul, code-named Leopard later this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    If it's already surprisingly stable for the first developer release, then I'd bet they are planning to release it quickly as a response to the security issues in OS X, iChat, Safari, and Mail that some are saying were not sufficiently corrected with the last security update.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Mail was more snappy, i'd welcome it.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I've been experiencing Safari quit on me while tabbing through forms. I hope this fixes that.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    xav3xxav3x Posts: 36member
    i hope they fix the bug that causes Mail.app to crash when opening flash embedded content in emails.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    why do people append .app to Mail? No one says Safari.app
  • Reply 6 of 82
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Hmmm ... Leopard may be here sooner than we think. There's a good chance that Apple will stop Tiger development after 10.4.9 just as it did with Panther.

If 10.4.7 is released within weeks or perhaps by the end of June, that would give Apple 2 more releases (10.4.8 and 10.4.9) within a 6 month period before they end development of Tiger. I think that's very possible.

That would leave me to believe that we'll see Leopard by WWDC 2007 after it's previewed in August. I'll take the bet that Steve Jobs will announce that Apple is ahead of schedule in the development of OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Imagine the marketing that Apple would employ ... Vista/Longhorn has been delayed numerous time whereas Apple is ahead despite the Intel transition. "Redmond, your copy machines are slow"

Imagine the Buzz
  • Reply 7 of 82
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The build number of "111" tells me they have been working on this one for a while.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Personally I believe that Leopard will be released by Jan/Feb 07, if not in time for the Christmas selling season. Apple has beens steady on releasing upgrades to Tiger and I have no doubts that Leopard is moving along quite well. We'll see how it looks in August.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

1) Because it isn't called "Apple Mail." And since it isn't, the word "mail" in that phrase (Apple 'mail') would become generic and not capitalized. So the proper name "Mail" would end up being more proper than "Apple 'mail'" but would still only sound like "mail" especially at the beginning of a sentence, which doesn't seem to work for anyone.

2) Because only Apple can decide to call it MacMail. In fact, for all we know they are saving that name for new .mac version of mail to compete with Gmail and Windows Live mail. That would sure be cool.

3)Because "MailWithNoName" would have to be capitalized and we can't capitalize that one unless it was the real name because that would make it downright wrong (not to mention even more confusing because not everyone would agree that the "no-name 'Name'" was warranted.)

• Reply 10 of 82
    I have some ongoing bug issues with Mail and I hope they get resolved.

1) Certain e-mails get sent to Junk and there is nothing I can do about it. The addresses are in my Address Book and there is no 'junk icon' on the the e-mails that lets me tell the program that it is 'not junk.'

2) Preferences for when to delete e-mail from the server never stick. IF I quit the program then it reverts to never delete.

Anybody else have these issues or am I 'special' ?
  • Reply 11 of 82
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

There's a good chance that Apple will stop Tiger development after 10.4.9

well, YEAH. because after 10.4.9, it becomes 10.5

unless apple decides to start throwing around ANOTHER set of 10.x.y.z super-itty-bitty-mini-patches...
  • Reply 12 of 82
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    What's wrong with 10.4.10? 10.4.11? 10.4.12?
  • Reply 13 of 82
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Funny how people can't fathom the idea that the versioning system isn't somekind of weird decimal system and that there is life beyond .9.

Rok... What's 10.4.6 + 10.3.7?

If you've answered 20.8.3...it's because you've invented some new kind of math.

10.4.6 isn't a decimal number.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

1) Certain e-mails get sent to Junk and there is nothing I can do about it. The addresses are in my Address Book and there is no 'junk icon' on the the e-mails that lets me tell the program that it is 'not junk.'

2) Preferences for when to delete e-mail from the server never stick. IF I quit the program then it reverts to never delete.

regarding the not junk thing, here's the solution (i think): basically, apple has relegated most fo the junk/not junk training to its toolbar buttons. so you HAVE to have the junk button as part of your message reading window. then, when you open a message in its own window, the button will VERY subtly change between being labeled "junk" or "not junk" and you HAVE to have text AND icons showing int he toolbar, or else you'd never know, because the button icon itself doesn't change.

it's actually a pretty friggin' bizarre human-interface thing, with the downside that you can very-likely LOSE e-mail if your filter's not behaving properly.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

(Nonsense deleted - JL)

Everyone knows that once you cross the number 10 in version numbers that are sold or updated directly by end users (that part is important to note) you have to either keep them real simple, or start getting creative and do something different. This is because of the unwritten rule that if version numbers become too ridiculous, it will hurt marketing efforts to end users, create consumer confusion and possibly even cause a revolt where they will feel taken advantage of by too many upgrades. Either that, or it is the unwritten rule that it is better to just start all over again after you have done something 10 times and it still isnt good enough. Either way, it just sounds wrong.

I think. Right?
  • Reply 16 of 82
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

1) If there's no button, then do it the "hard" way. Just drag the message out of the Junk folder into your regular inbox.

2) You appear to be "special" on this one. My 12 POP accounts all delete from server as specified in the prefs.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Because the title: The Application From Apple Currently Called 'Mail' is too long?
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Because the title: The Application From Apple Currently Called 'Mail' is too long?

Were we listening to "The Artist Formally Known as Prince" when you thought of that??

• Reply 19 of 82
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Were we listening to "The Artist Formally Known as Prince" when you thought of that??

He's called Prince again now, a sure sign of a warp in spacetime.

I for one fully back the 10.4.10 numbering system, not because I think Apple will reach it, surely Leopard's due in January or earlier with luck - but because I want OS X to carry on past 10.9 "Alley Cat"
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

He's called Prince again now, a sure sign of a warp in spacetime.

I for one fully back the 10.4.10 numbering system, not because I think Apple will reach it, surely Leopard's due in January or earlier with luck - but because I want OS X to carry on past 10.9 "Alley Cat"

While I agree that I would want it to continue past 10.9 "Alley Cat" (or Ocelot, or Maine Coon, or Garfield), the fact is that it won't quite roll off the tongue like 10.5, 10.8, or 10.9. Apple's only hope in all of this is if they drop the versioning number in their marketing. Then it just becomes Mac OS X "Maine Coon"