Why so little hype for the MacBook intro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The MacBook was released today with little more than a press release and update to the Apple website. To me, this seems like a pretty major product line (replacing one of their most popular products) presented to the public with very minimal hype and publicity (other than the buzz generated by the "Apple Rumor Community").

I'm really a bit suprised that they didn't wait until Thursday to give Steve his moment in the sun with this one. Especially since they already appear to be available to some degree. He could have pulled the curtain back in NYC and had boxes of gleaming MacBooks sitting there waiting to be snatched up on the spot.

What do you think this means in terms of future Apple product releases? Apple has been moving away from major product launches at Expos for the past few years, but usually adding at least a special event here and there. Today we got nada...

Is this a sign of things to come? If so, it will make things way more unpredictable in terms of product releases, but also a bit more exciting for random Tuesday mornings.

p.s. Mods...if this should be in General Discussion, feel free to bump it over. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    a couple reasons i can think of. There's a bunch of people who are paying attention to the macbook release date and will know when it happens regardless of a hyped up event. so it gives those people a couple days to get a head start on the weekend buyers, etc.

whomever unveils the store on thursday can still talk about the computer and its specs and say that it is in stores and selling well. in fact, you could keep a tab on the number sold online and in stores as of sometime thursday and say "we've already sold X number" - sounds impressive.

and really, i think it depends on what you want to dominate the news: macbook or this crazy store with a 9 million dollar glass cube in midtown manhattan that's open for 24 hours. that's new for a computer store, so far as i know.

plus, if they intro a new/upgraded ipod, that's one of the main things that brings people into stores on either side of the OS aisle. People may be more likely to come check out the new ipod than some new laptop, but then while they are in a store they can check out the laptop.

besides, it's only a store and manhattan is not the center of the universe (much to the dismay of your average manhattenite)

and uh...there's always room for some random surprise, right?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    The timing of the big press release is irrelevant to some extent - the fanatics will notice the specs today, and the press can be reminded if they need to at the New York launch I'm sure.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Steve has temporarily relocated the RDF generator to 5th av. NYC!!

• Reply 4 of 5
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Steve wears the the RDF generator as a belt on his basic levi's 501s. The devise is said to resemble 10 pounds of c4 - remote detonator included, except it looks like this:

GET THE F**K DOWN UNDER THE NEAREST TABLE IF HE HOLDS ONE OF THESE UP, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SWALLOWED UP MY RDF OF THE ENTH DEGREE.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

GET THE F**K DOWN UNDER THE NEAREST TABLE IF HE HOLDS ONE OF THESE UP, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SWALLOWED UP MY RDF OF THE ENTH DEGREE.