Black macbook costs £89.99 more for black material

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
just priced out the TWO (white n black) 2 ghz macbook the only differences i can see is the 80gig hard drive and the black paint. is there any other?

So to upgrade to 80 gig hard drive costs £40.00 pounds so is apple charging

£89.99 for the privillage of a black macbook check out the customise your mac!

somebody please prove me wrong?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    you are right. its marketing. don't like black price, buy white!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Don't buy one if you disagree with Apple's pricing...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pinsharppinsharp Posts: 2member
    well not the black one for me, has to be the white version!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's probably because they're making them in much more limited quantities and don't expect them to sell extremely well, so the $80 is to cover inventory risk. Which is sorta counterintuitive since more people would buy it if it didn't require that $80.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    It's worth it . The black is pretty slick looking.

That is one of the basic ideas behind supply and demand. You will often see different clothing colors priced differently. Same materials, same exact cost, but people are willing to pay more for black than white.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's a mystery.

Just like it's a mystery why a new thread is started to discuss the extra price for the black MB when the exact same discussion is being carried out in at LEAST 4 other threads in this forum.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    HD upgrade for Black model costs $50 less
  • Reply 8 of 12
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Apple made a brilliant marketing move here. I called two Apple stores and they were sold out of black units but still had a handful of both white models left.

It sells.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    This is marketing at its finest...

Only Apple could sell a laptop colored 'Dell' black and charge a premium for it...and the faithful line up and buy it up faster than it can be made...gotta love that.

Shucks, might as well get a color you like at Colorwarepc.com (expensive) or go with vinyl: http://www.quickstickers.com/

• Reply 10 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's a mystery.

Just like it's a mystery why a new thread is started to discuss the extra price for the black MB when the exact same discussion is being carried out in at LEAST 4 other threads in this forum.

This one is in a different currency
  • Reply 11 of 12
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    I'm grasping at straws here, but is the black stuff a better material? We know it is matte, and presumably pretty scratch resistant, but is it also stronger and less brittle?

I'd be the first to admit that such a feature would not cost Apple even one=tenth of the $150 they're asking for it, but still, I am curious.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    stephendstephend Posts: 29member
    The guy in the Regents Street Apple Store said the material was just different. He said that it was slightly heavier than the white one. He also pointed out that Apple have been making white machines for five years and that, if there were any manufacturing snafus, they'd likely be with the black model.

Looked more matte in "person" than the pictures. While they had a number of demo machines, they'd sold out of them anyway. They seemed to have lots of the white ones left however, one of which my friend took. (Much as I love my 1st Gen iMac G5, I'm so jealous!)

--> Stephen