Congrat Barça and seg!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well, Arsenal got their asses handed down to them. Barça is the new Europan King. Henry was almost dead the entire game, and Ronaldinho wasn't any better either. The beauty of Barça, it seems, is that it's a team and it can play good even if its star player chokes.

Good job Barça!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    the beauty of Barca is that they can afford to buy off the ref.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, Arsenal got their asses handed down to them.

Until the halfway point of the second half Arsenal looked the team more likely to score(due to Barça's inefectiveness).

In fact Henry had a one on one with Valdes and mishit the ball. That would've been 2-0 Arsenal. I wouldn't describe a team that lost because of two late goals after playing 72 minutes with only 10 men as having their "asses handed to them".

Man of the match? The referee....and not because he red-carded Lehmann. Although I'm a Reds fan, props to Arsenal for a great CL run and final, and of course to Barça. In my view, Barça edges Arsenal slightly as the best team throught the competition.

The King is dead (Liverpool), long live the King.

• Reply 3 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

In fact Henry had a one on one with Valdes and mishit the ball. That would've been 2-0 Arsenal. I wouldn't describe a team that lost because of two late goals after playing 72 minutes with only 10 men as having their "asses handed to them".

Well, I'm a little biased so... take that with a grain of salt, but Barçaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Who's the trench-coat wearer, Mourinho?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, Arsenal got their asses handed down to them.

Did you see the game? The first 17:15 minutes watched like Arsenal v. Sunderland. Arsenal owned most of the game if you consider they were at ten men. Ronaldinho was shut down like a bitch.

Quote:

Although I'm a Reds fan, props to Arsenal for a great CL run and final, and of course to Barça. In my view, Barça edges Arsenal slightly as the best team throught the competition.

Yes, I would have to agree that there nothing at all improper or unusual about Barcelona winning. Not like last year, when that clumsy, has-been team managed to win. Fortunately, I live far enough away from Liverpool that I don't have to worry too much about making comments like that.

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if Gerrard went to United?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

That's him.

dont you appreciate Mourinho just for his sheer comical value? The guy is genius
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

There are already mutterings on the bench due to the policy of keeping big-name layers for a 'back-up' team or as mere squad members. Now with Ballack and probably Schevchenko (the first of these a monster ego and the second probably not suited to the Premiership)

I think the underperformance this season is why there's the big shakeup. We'll see how it goes. Ballack's playing style will definitely fit in. Shevchenko is supposedly Abramovich's personal friend, which is why I'm skeptical about him wanting to go to Chelsea.

If he does go, I think he'll score 30+ goals. Ronaldinho is amazing to watch because he does so much with the ball. Henry has speed and grace. It's harder to put a finger on why Shevchenko is so effective, because he doesn't often amaze people with displays of skill. But currently there is no one better at going straight to goal -- a task that softee officiating has discouraged for years now. Only Ronaldo compares at this, and Ronaldo can't shoot as well. Chelsea know that they need a finishing juggernaut if they want to win the treble (which they do). It makes sense to try for Shevchenko.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Not like last year, when that clumsy, has-been team managed to win.

The best team doesn't always win. Otherwise Brasil would have 10 World Cups. And that "has-been" team you were referring to, has won:

1 Champions/European Cup

1 UEFA Cup,

2 European Super Cups

2 FA Cups,

2 League Cups,

1 Charity Shield,

........................since 2000. Enlighten us as to how your team compares to that?

Quote:

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if Gerrard went to United?

Heresy!! Now you've done it. I'm forwarding your info. to the US Liverpool supporters assoc. I'm sure we have people down in Florida.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

I can't understand all this referee stuff - imo, it is an affliction caught from that horrendous trench-coat wearer who is without doubt the worst loser (in all respects) to disgrace the EPL.

I have a severe dislike for MAUREENho. He's a disgrace to managers all over.

Quote:

Can't see any other dodgy decisions really. Maybe the second goal was lucky but Arsenal had their chances and 1 goal was never going to be enough. At least it didn't go to penalties.

I saw many dodgy decisions. Albeit small ones...although they could have resulted in a Barça player getting his second yellow. Barça deserved at least 2 more yellow cards. The time added before the half was too much and the time added in the second half was nothing when you consider all the substitutions and the Barça second goal celebration which went on for over a minute. Not that it would've mattered....but still, there was a disparity there.

Quote:

Shame about the sending off though - could have been a classic.

The ref is now saying he wishes he hadn't been so hasty to show the red card.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I'm forwarding your info. to the US Liverpool supporters assoc. I'm sure we have people down in Florida.

The has-been part wasn't entirely serious. I just know what gets under the skin of Liverpool supporters, since I've known some of them. As an American, the frenzy of the English in supporting their clubs is a little over my head, but it seems like fun (at least aside from the screwdrivers & utility knives). When it comes to English football I support Man City because of Claudio Reyna, but they're not really a contender.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

[B]Did you see the game? The first 17:15 minutes watched like Arsenal v. Sunderland. Arsenal owned most of the game if you consider they were at ten men. Ronaldinho was shut down like a bitch.

I think you missed the part where I said that I am biased toward Barcelona, so I used big words to describe Arsenal's loss.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Perhaps, but there's a difference between bias and inaccuracy.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    But Mourinho is a fantastic manager. Regardless of his personality, he left Porto champions, came to London and immediately did the same with Chelsea. He's gifted tactically and all his players love him. I don't know why, but they do.

It's OK to hate Chelsea, and naturally I do, but their manager's great. Like Manchester United, who it's also perfectly natural to detest. Their manager's good too, if mean-spirited, bad mannered and totally graceless as a human being.

Liverpool are going to win the Premiership next season and if they don't it'll be Arsenal. Gerrard is a better player than Rooney and Rafa Benitez is as good tactically as Mourinho and Ferguson and a decent human being to boot.

Unless of course Chelsea buy it again.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Perhaps, but there's a difference between bias and inaccuracy.

There's also a difference between a little friendly nab and inaccuracy. Also I'm not the object of discussion here.