AGP 8x Card into 2x AGP slot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, first time posting on this forum. Ok, to the point. I have my old nVidia 5200FX card that came out of my Powermac G5 1.8 (June 2003). I found an article on xlr8yourmac.com that showed a guy using a dremel tool to cut off part of the connectors so that it would fit into his G4 AGP slot. The only thing that stops me is that he put this modified card into a Digital Audio G4 with a 4x AGP slot. The G4 that I have is a Sawtooth with only a 2x AGP slot. If I modify this card as shown in the article, will I fry the motherboard in the G4? I don't care about the card, but I really don't want to cook the mobo in the Sawtooth.

The article can be found here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I think I should let you know that this forum section is a bit misleading. From what I can gather, there are very few 'geniuses' around here. Certainly no Mac gurus to speak of so I would be cautious about following any advice on modding. You'd probably be better with a forum specifically designed for modifying Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I think I should let you know that this forum section is a bit misleading. From what I can gather, there are very few 'geniuses' around here. Certainly no Mac gurus to speak of so I would be cautious about following any advice on modding. You'd probably be better with a forum specifically designed for modifying Macs.

really? because, having been on these boards FOREVER, i have found answers to questions more easily here than the tower of unsearchable babel that is the macfixit forums, for instance. basically, you are right that this is not a forum for hardware mods (or i have not seen any in-depth discussion in the matter)... you might find someone here that has done so, but mods to perfectly functioning macs (i.e. if you have to power up a tool and physically add to, take away or replace parts to achieve the ends you are looking for) versus troubleshooting/fixing ailing macs are two quite different things.

but to say there are very few "geniuses" here is a bit over-reaching and inaccurate.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I would not risk the MB if I really need the computer. If you really need something faster thant the ATI128 look on ebay for 8500 9000 and the like. BTW a 8500 is not faster than a ATI128 if you have a 350-500 MHz CPU in there, it is still CPU limited, with 1 GHZ upwards a faster GPU is a good thing