Up close and personal with Apple's MacBook (photos)

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

[B]you are wrong MATT is usually used in respect of paint as in a MATT finnish, as opposed to a GLOSS finnish.

MATTE is something you might use in photoshop.

trust me i've done enough painting to know im right.

Matt doesn't show up in websters, matte does.

Just checked the Behr paints site, they use matte, not matt. Doesn't look like you're right, it seems to be matte.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Matt doesn't show up in websters, matte does.

Just checked the Behr paints site, they use matte, not matt. Doesn't look like you're right, it seems to be matte.

I used to work in a hardware store and all the paint cans said matte, semi-gloss, gloss, etc. None of them said 'matt' or 'MATT'
  • Reply 83 of 95
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the moving parts, i'll grant you. elegance, though, is a bit subjective. like, for me, elegance is simply the perfect solution to a problem, and that can take many forms. if it actually requires a visible latch or mechanism, so be it, so long as it does the job perfectly. that's not to say some style can't figure into it.like, my wife's pismo has a plastic latch at the front of the lid, and while it is a mechanical solution, it works great, and the style they molded it into is an elegant addition to the overall unit. but hey, i'll give 'em credit for trying something new. and maybe once i work with it for a while, i'll go "hey, this IS a great idea. why didn't they do it sooner?"

Playing with it at the store, I liked it. Used to have an iBook. Got kind of annoyed with the latch sometimes popping open. This appears to be a better solution. Wonder about magnet losing its magnetism (does that happen?)
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Well, you are right and wrong at the same time.

your sources are american, need i say more
  • Reply 85 of 95
    BTW...initial impressions from the store:

1. Keyboard feels fine (even "good"?) Obviously only a very short test...but seems less mushy than the iBook.

2. It looks amazingly small. Not "sub-notebook", but close enough.

3. Black quickly showed smudges

4. Glossy screen was hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it. Smudges there too (keep your damn fingers off my screens!) but I suspect easier to clean than the previous.

5. Seemed "fast enough" to me. For those that don't really require all of the Pro bells and whistles...this will be a great solution.

I'd probably get one. In fact, I'd have to think really hard about why I'd want to get a (15") MBP. Most likely I'd go for the high-end white (not sure I really like the black) MB.

• Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

your sources are american, need i say more

Well, I would have said he was totally wrong (I have never seen the use of "matt" in this context ever)...but the dictionary does have it as a variation of "matte".
  • Reply 87 of 95
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

1. Keyboard feels fine (even "good"?) Obviously only a very short test...but seems less mushy than the iBook.

i am really curious to see how this design holds up over time. since the keys rest in their own surrounded channels, i can see how gunk would build up quickly and make the keys stick (or stick on one side or another). but maybe they've included enough room to prevent that from happening.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

It just seems a little odd to me, since photo/design professionals are the ones that always used to demand CRT hoods for keeping out all ambient light and glare.

I have to agree with you. I do both IT work and graphics work. A coworker bought an Averatec laptop with this glossy style screen and I do not find it useable for anything except watching DVD movies.

I don't mind adjusting the brightness and gamma to fit the needs of whatever project I am working on.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Those pictures aren't loading for me...

edit: never mind, just needed to empty the browser cache

Not loading for me either. Emptied the cache, still no use. All I see is are small blue aquares with question marks inside them where the picture should be.

10.3.9 Panther here.

Cheers
  • Reply 90 of 95
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    The new MacBook looks great but I am suprised and disappointed if, as suggested, this completes Apple's notebook range.

Where is the mass market 15 inch MacBook to tempt the PC switchers? The cheapest 15 inch notebbok from Apple is now £1400 in the UK. This is not going to encourage a mass move from PC to Mac.

Also where is the super slim, very light 13 inch MacBook Pro to replace the 12 inch for highly mobile business people? The PC market is awash with these models.

I don't think Apple have fully thought this through.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaun, UK

Also where is the super slim, very light 13 inch MacBook Pro to replace the 12 inch for highly mobile business people? The PC market is awash with these models.

As pointed out by a repair engineer in another thread, either here or at MacRumors.com, the old G4 12" PowerBook was really much more like an iBook internally than it was like its fellow PowerBook siblings. The case was, for the most part, an illusion that it was a substantially higher-end machine.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

As pointed out by a repair engineer in another thread, either here or at MacRumors.com, the old G4 12" PowerBook was really much more like an iBook internally than it was like its fellow PowerBook siblings. The case was, for the most part, an illusion that it was a substantially higher-end machine.

True but that doesn't change the fact there isn't a laptop that's as small and light as the PB 12", high end or not.

There's nothing to compete with Sony TXs or Fujitsu Lifebook P-Series.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

On the contrary, I think Apple have thought this out very shrewdly. They don't want to go head to head with PCs and laptops out there, they want to continue to deliver record revenues and profits. They've identified a market space that can do that and their products are aimed squarely at that market space.

Here in Malaysia I've given up on convincing people to buy Apple because the extra expense is unexplainable. Apple stuff here (Macs) is only used by very well paid cream-of-the-crop creative pros or used as a luxury item of sorts. The PPC Mac Mini though I've managed to convince my cousin to get it for his parents (my uncle and aunt) so that the old folks have something very usable and my cousin won't have to worry so much about supporting their PC.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    macinjoshmacinjosh Posts: 40member
    I just got my hands on a white MacBook at a local store. I have to say that, from an aesthetics point of view, I was dissappointed. The combination of the sunken keyboard, the thick border around the small display and the glossy screen make me think "1970's". In a bad way.

Visuals aside, the keyboard felt and operated naturally enough. And it's a Mac, which I love. Score one for the engineers, zero for the designers.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

On the contrary, I think Apple have thought this out very shrewdly. They don't want to go head to head with PCs and laptops out there, they want to continue to deliver record revenues and profits. They've identified a market space that can do that and their products are aimed squarely at that market space.

Here in Malaysia I've given up on convincing people to buy Apple because the extra expense is unexplainable. Apple stuff here (Macs) is only used by very well paid cream-of-the-crop creative pros or used as a luxury item of sorts. The PPC Mac Mini though I've managed to convince my cousin to get it for his parents (my uncle and aunt) so that the old folks have something very usable and my cousin won't have to worry so much about supporting their PC.

Fair point. It's just a shame there isn't a 15 inch MacBook as I can't afford the MacBook Pro.