Black Magicbook's matte coating

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
We should keep an eye on this, As melgross posted in the other thread

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2397

I noticed on my black one here the coating isn't perfect, when I run my hand accross the lid there are a few rough spots, they are small but look like basicly somthing getting under the coating when it was applied, dirt etc... We need to get on apple if this become a problem esp now that were paying for the black.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Is Apple releasing this many problematic products or are Mac users (who frequent this forum) just REALLY anal-retentive?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my white one is flawless. And the $400 I saved getting the basic model lines my pockets well.

I've read other reports, this is a single black macbook and people have gone to the apple stores and can't reproduce it.

FUD.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    well I am VERY anal retentive about imperfections in my gear, BUT it reminds of the Ti book paint problems which were a big deal. This coating job looks like it could have problems, meaning maybe these were rushed out or the proccess is flawed.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

people have gone to the apple stores and can't reproduce it.

what were they going around to stores "keying" macbooks?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    i find this funny because i don't think you'll find a DellInsider or ThinkDell website and you know with large product releases there are issues.

Anyway, the Apple Product Cycle is absolutely on track yet again. We are at the section that says:

"A minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw..."

http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

• Reply 6 of 23
    Right sure, but I am not whining, I am not yelling from the roof tops they must replace mine becuase of a couple of bumps, I am saying the imperfection I have has the possibility to get worse, ie. something rubs against these raised areas and the coating chips off. The coating seems fragile. Hence any other person who received their machine can say hey I have that too, or not, that way we can see if it's a common problem or not.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Right sure, but I am not whining, I am not yelling from the roof tops they must replace mine becuase of a couple of bumps, I am saying the imperfection I have has the possibility to get worse, ie. something rubs against these raised areas and the coating chips off. The coating seems fragile. Hence any other person who received their machine can say hey I have that too, or not, that way we can see if it's a common problem or not.

sorry, didn't mean to imply you were whining, its part of that lifecycle thing there, part of the quote. This is normal for a new product, some things will 'go wrong'.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    right and it's funny, And I love the machine, problem is mac users have nothing to complain about so you wind up nitpicking on little cosmetic things
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Is Mac users (who frequent this forum) just REALLY anal-retentive?

You nailed it on the head...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i find this funny because i don't think you'll find a DellInsider or ThinkDell website and you know with large product releases there are issues.[/i]

Because Dell doesn't have classified development practices, such as Apple
  • Reply 11 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Is Apple releasing this many problematic products or are Mac users (who frequent this forum) just REALLY anal-retentive?

I think there are more complaining about those who have a complaint more than anything else. Now, who is being anal-retentive here?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Because Dell doesn't have classified development practices, such as Apple

Errr. Yeah, of course they do. It's just that the end results aren't exercises in design excellence which is a large portion of (what I assume) is the reason Apple are so insanely secretive.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Ok, my question is, "Is there really a problem with the black finishes?"

I am swapping my white MB for a black one today. I will take a look at it, but is there a problem or was this just a freak thing on two laptops?

I am not getting it because I think it is cool. I have simply grown tired of cleaning my iMac keyboard all the time, and after an hour of using my white MacBook, there was VERY obvious soiling from finger oil, and this objection from someone who is much more Oscar Madison than Felix Unger.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    well you do get finger prints and smudging all over the black one. You get finger oil on the track pad as well, it shows up as shinny vs. the matte pad. But it wont show dirt like the white one will. Still it's a great looking finish.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

I am swapping my white MB for a black one today.

whew, isn't that gonna cost you between $109 and $149 for the 'swap' ? my receipt says $109 if opened.

then add on the $150 black tax.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't see how this is a flaw when you can only detect it when running your hand across it. The Macbook works; it looks black; then why do you care what it feels like? Do you tools feel your Macs regularly?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Do you tools feel your Macs regularly?

yes, we macs feel our tools all the time.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I don't see how this is a flaw when you can only detect it when running your hand across it. The Macbook works; it looks black; then why do you care what it feels like? Do you tools feel your Macs regularly?

well i can see it to. It's not a big deal, but I'm just saying I payed 150 extra for a paint job and it's got mistakes. It only rasied my concern of more problems down the road, since this article shows a paint defect and my laptop has a paint defect.

I really don't get why you guys are so freaken defensive.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I have written elsewhere at length of problems I have had with Apple machines and cumstomer support. Apple makes a lot of blunders and tries very hard not to admit them. Also, too many people herer think that a grace period to work out the bugs is normal and good. That grace period is over the moment they put it on the market; it should work and look as they say it does.

From the MB Design page:

"And since MacBook is sure to become your constant companion, a durable polycarbonate shell keeps it ready for the rough and tumble of everyday life. Now that?s grace under pressure."

If it has any shell problems at all, you can and should demand a replacement or your money back. Don't swap it; ask for a new one, because it doesn't hold up to its advertised quality.

If you bought a car and it had flaking paint, what would you do? If its engine ran too hot?

I am and always will be a Mac fan, but I also hope that they will treat their customers better by giving them tried and tested products that "just work".
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

Ok, my question is, "Is there really a problem with the black finishes?"

I am swapping my white MB for a black one today. I will take a look at it, but is there a problem or was this just a freak thing on two laptops?

I am not getting it because I think it is cool. I have simply grown tired of cleaning my iMac keyboard all the time, and after an hour of using my white MacBook, there was VERY obvious soiling from finger oil, and this objection from someone who is much more Oscar Madison than Felix Unger.

dont you wash?