Exclusive photos from the Apple Store Fifth Ave

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday morning officially unveiled its "most architecturally innovative" retail store to date with a press briefing for analysts and members of the media on the site of the store at 767 Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets.

The 20,000-square foot location, which will be the first to operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, features a distinctive 32-foot glass cube that creates an attractive new destination on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, one of the world's most popular shopping scenes.

When the store opens to the public at 7:00PM ET on Friday, it will feature more than 100 Macs and nearly 200 iPods for customers to try before they buy, as well as the world?s largest assortment of accessories.

"We opened our first New York store in SoHo in 2002, and it has been successful beyond our dreams. Now we?re thrilled to open our second New York store on Fifth Avenue," said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. "With outstanding service and an amazing location open 24 hours a day, we think the Apple Store Fifth Avenue is going to be a favorite destination for New Yorkers and people around the world."

Several photos taken Thursday morning at the site of the new retail store have been published, below, for your enjoyment.

(Thanks to our pals from cheechandchong.com for supplying several of the photos.)

Meanwhile, Curbed has posted some so-so quality photos from inside the store. The New York City-based real estate publication continues to allude to "surprises" tomorrow evening out on the store's plaza, where a live band is rumored to make a performance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Interesting that they are not selling third party cameras or video equipment.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Gotta love those digital timestamps.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Fountains around the outside would look fantastic, especially lit ones at night.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not even in town for the opening. I'm in Los Angeles working.

Oh and there are jets on either side of the cube that shoot up water. There is also a giant fountain across the street in front of a hotel.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
  • Reply 6 of 43
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    The inside reminds me of a jewelry store. (Just an observation.)
  • Reply 7 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I can just imagine a bunch of thieves running a truck through that glass to try to rob the place... oy, vey! Hopefully there's good security.

OTOH, it looks stunning.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Looks stunning in the photos. Will visit next time i'm in the big Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    I wonder if the Prada store in Soho has realized that their elevator has gone missing?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

Interesting that they are not selling third party cameras or video equipment.

understandable, a huge chunk of space went to the cube and stair way, something had to give...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    What does this store offer for folks who dont do so well on stairs? I see no elevator, is it attached to the building behind it or something?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I can just imagine a bunch of thieves running a truck through that glass to try to rob the place... oy, vey! Hopefully there's good security.

OTOH, it looks stunning.

And the truck falls down a level into the store onto it's side, killing all 96 geniuses at the genius bar. Two of the robber died in the crash while one remains in intensive care in a coma after having recived an extsensive blood transfusion and the amputation of the leg that got trapped between the seat and the door on the side that has resting on the floor.

If he ever recovers prosecutors are expected to charge him up to his maxium sentance for the crime as well as the reckless endangerment and murder of 96 people....
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

What does this store offer for folks who dont do so well on stairs? I see no elevator, is it attached to the building behind it or something?

The elevator is the tube right in the very center of the cube. When you go in the front, it is directly in front of you. The stairs are off to the side and wind around the tube.

The store looks great. Much more spacious than the average store. The downstairs layout looks a bit like the Regent St store in London.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark2005

The elevator is the tube right in the very center of the cube. When you go in the front, it is directly in front of you. The stairs are off to the side and wind around the tube.

The store looks great. Much more spacious than the average store. The downstairs layout looks a bit like the Regent St store in London.

WOWZA

that is amazing, no cables, pullies, counter weights or anything are visible! I just thought that was support structure for the stairs...how did they do that?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

And the truck falls down a level into the store onto it's side, killing all 96 geniuses at the genius bar. Two of the robber died in the crash while one remains in intensive care in a coma after having recived an extsensive blood transfusion and the amputation of the leg that got trapped between the seat and the door on the side that has resting on the floor.

If he ever recovers prosecutors are expected to charge him up to his maxium sentance for the crime as well as the reckless endangerment and murder of 96 people....

Not to mention the incalculable loss of iPod accessories!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

WOWZA

that is amazing, no cables, pullies, counter weights or anything are visible! I just thought that was support structure for the stairs...how did they do that?

It's on a big hyrdraulic cylinder. I'll bet a pile of money that you've ridden on a fair number of elevators that are on hydraulics, you've just never noticed the fact since that bit of the works is usually hidden from view.

(The Prada store just around the corner from the Apple Soho location has one that is remarkably similar - along with a skateboard-ramp-like bit that one day I will ride. They've already kicked me out once for taking a picture of it. I may as well really piss off their security guards next time!)
  • Reply 17 of 43
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    that is seriously the most amazing store i've seen.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Absolutely gorgeous.

Keep making great products, Apple. You guys have taken a cue from Pei's pyramid in Paris with a from-the-skies entry to beauty.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

OTOH, it looks stunning.

I think in the pictures I saw bollards surrounding the cube. Those might stop a truck, or a runaway baby carriage at least...
  • Reply 20 of 43
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I saw the cube first hand today, but pure chance. I was early to a meeting and was just walking around and stumbled into it.

Let me say this: the pictures in no way capture how incredible it looks.

3 stories of glass just doesn't translate well in a picture. Sure the pics are cool.

But to see it in person is a different experience. It is breath taking. So clean. It looks unreal. The engineering will blow you mind.

On your next trip to NYC, this is an absolute must-see.