How do you prove you're a student for the EDU discount?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Probably a newb question but........

Im heading down to the nearest apple store (45 min away) next tuesday to pick up a macbook for college this fall. According to the website, I get the normal EDU discount, but I dont want to shop online and wait for it to come in the mail. I'd rather go down and pick it up myself.

Do I have to bring any paper work to confirm that I'm attending the certain school in the fall to get the discount?

OR

is the educational discount just an online store promotion?

Im totally confused.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I don't believe you can get the student discount in a real apple store; however, you can get them in campus computer stores...

(I could be wrong).

Mostly, they just want to see a student id...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Student ID?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You can at least get a teacher discount at an Apple Store, however, it can't be applied to software, only hardware. For software, you have to order it from store.apple.com.

I think teacher discounts are the same as student discounts; they're both just educational discounts.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The thing about student ID's is that I dont have one yet. I'll be a freshman next year so all I have is an acceptance letter.

Should I just pull out an acceptance letter at the check-out counter or what?

I want that $100 discount!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    If you order online, they tend not to do anything about checking your credentials but the brick and mortar stores do.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If you have the paperwork AFTER the acceptance letter (like the letter that says, "You are now a student with Whatever University") then that would probably fly for you.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mister_volcom88

The thing about student ID's is that I dont have one yet. I'll be a freshman next year so all I have is an acceptance letter.

Should I just pull out an acceptance letter at the check-out counter or what?

I want that $100 discount!!!!!

Order online and select the edu store. Select your school when it asks, and you're good to go.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I bought a powerbook several years ago with the edu discount. There was absolutely no kind of verification. While I was still in school, 2 years later, I bought a newer powerbook. But this time I went for the $99 student developer program which incidentally gave me 20% off on a hardware purchase. Given that I was pursuing a electrical engineering degree, it was totally kosher, but nonetheless there STILL wasn't even the slightest degree of verification to see if I was even a student. Perhaps they did a background check, but I was not involved in the process.

By the way, I don't think you can get the student developer discount anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    which students, what about elementary and highschool??
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

which students, what about elementary and highschool??

Apple doesn't offer the discount to students except "higher Education" institutions. Once again, the online store doesn't ask to prove anything
  • Reply 11 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

By the way, I don't think you can get the student developer discount anymore.

The student developer membership still includes a one-time hardware discount. It is what sold me on ADC back in the day, and after I left Cal I've been a real member ever since.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    The select membership is more expensive then the cost difference in hardware (especially wrt edu discounts)...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

The select membership is more expensive then the cost difference in hardware (especially wrt edu discounts)...

Yes, but the student developer membership is only $100.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    UPDATE

I went into the local apple store on Monday to pick up a macbook. I wanted a RAM upgrade, so I had to order it in store. They wouldnt let me take one home. When I mentioned the EDU discount, they said "yea yea" and tried to side-step it. The Employee's pretended like I didnt say anything. I actually had to be pretty stern to get them to remember to give me the discount. I remember mentioning the discount 5 or 6 times before they remembered to do it. All I did was tell them my school and I got the $100 off of my computer. I didnt have to prove anything.

Maybe it's different at other stores....
  • Reply 15 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    When I used my student discount to buy a PowerBook I needed my student ID as well as a photo ID to get the discount (brick & mortar store). Sounds like the store may have lightened up on the student ID checking.