New Macbook Overheat Problems already!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Oh no..just read this review.

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...=Apple+MacBook

Pictures of Macbook crash due to overheating sounds like bad news to me.

I really want one of these but now..i dont think so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Not good. Not good at all. Damnit, now I definitely have to wait a few months for the bugs to settle out. I want one noooow though!!
  • Reply 2 of 130
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Looks like waiting for revision b is the smart move.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    No such problems with mine so far.

Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 4 of 130
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    He got a bad unit, but he just had to get the usual Windroid bullshit complaints in. He probably complains if his new car has the gas filler pipe on the opposite side of his old car.

- how do I "maximize" the window? OMG I want it MAXIMIZED!!!! Just like on WINDOWS!! OMG!!! (you mean "full screen", right? That's a useless function. If you mean "filling the whole viewable area", just resize the damn thing. What do you think that resize corner at the lower right is for? Sheesh.)

- OMG how do I take a screenshot OMG there is no PRINT SCREEN key OMG!!!!! (Try the "Help" menu. Were you waiting for the computer to put up a dialog saying "If you wish to take a screen shot, press command-shift-3" every time you open a new web page? How about a "Screenshot Wizard?")

I'm shocked that he didn't say "OMG why doesn't hitting Enter open a file OMG WTF?"
  • Reply 5 of 130
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

He got a bad unit, but he just had to get the usual Windroid bullshit complaints in. He probably complains if his new car has the gas filler pipe on the opposite side of his old car.

- how do I "maximize" the window? OMG I want it MAXIMIZED!!!! Just like on WINDOWS!! OMG!!! (you mean "full screen", right? That's a useless function. If you mean "filling the whole viewable area", just resize the damn thing. What do you think that resize corner at the lower right is for? Sheesh.)

- OMG how do I take a screenshot OMG there is no PRINT SCREEN key OMG!!!!! (Try the "Help" menu. Were you waiting for the computer to put up a dialog saying "If you wish to take a screen shot, press command-shift-3" every time you open a new web page? How about a "Screenshot Wizard?")

I'm shocked that he didn't say "OMG why doesn't hitting Enter open a file OMG WTF?"

True about some OSX diferences with windows but up until the crashing he seemed very positive about the Macbook.
  • Reply 6 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

True about some OSX diferences with windows but up until the crashing he seemed very positive about the Macbook.

He still seems eager to get the unit replaced and work with it for a few more weeks to get the hang of the OS. And honestly, it does take a while to get used to if you've been using Windows your whole life.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

No such problems with mine so far.

Fingers crossed.

Black or white?
  • Reply 8 of 130
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    no problems with mine so far, black, it gets warm but not crazy
  • Reply 9 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Black or white?

White. It does get warm, but not uncomfortably warm. I can see it being a virtue come November.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Does the 2.0 GHz run hotter than the 1.83 Ghz?
  • Reply 11 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

Does the 2.0 GHz run hotter than the 1.83 Ghz?

I going to guess yes, because everything is the same except the processor, and if you shut down one of the cores it gets cooler, so.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Apple seem to have repeated their mistake with applying way too much thermal paste in the MacBook.

I am astonished that this woefully amateurish mistake is still being made.

Here's a picture from the MacBook service manual:

There is a thread about it on Macnn's forums, here
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Then again, other people have opened them up and found considerably less on the actual processor.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Then again, other people have opened them up and found considerably less on the actual processor.

Indeed. I should have been clearer in my post. It is not obvious, at this stage, whether Apple are applying this much paste when the MacBook is produced.

However, it is most odd that reports are suggesting the MacBook runs the Core Duo much hotter than PCs do. Something isn't quite right.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Looks like waiting for revision b is the smart move.

Except that when it comes to laptops, it doesn't matter what revision it is. Apple somehow always manages to screw [/i]something[/i] up. The latest PowerBook revision was, what, revision C? It had a long list of problems, bad trackpads being just one of them.
  • Reply 16 of 130
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    MBP may have a heating problem, but I don't know about this thermal paste thing. It seems to be what the blogging world has attached too but so far I don't feel I've seen any definitive proof that this is what is causing the problem.

I can believe Apple has not worked out the best solution for the heat in a 1 inch enclosure.

I also would like to see definitive proof that MBP is having more problems with heat than any other duo core laptop in a thin enclosure. Not just blogging rumor.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

MBP may have a heating problem, but I don't know about this thermal paste thing.

I am an electronics engineer, and I can tell you, it is a non-disputable fact that the amount of thermal paste illustrated in that photo is around two orders of magnitude too much. If it isn't the sole cause of heat problems, it is definitely a contributor (in the MacBook Pro, and possibly in the MacBook if that is how much they are using in production).

edit: fixed a spelling mistake
  • Reply 18 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Indeed. I should have been clearer in my post. It is not obvious, at this stage, whether Apple are applying this much paste when the MacBook is produced.

However, it is most odd that reports are suggesting the MacBook runs the Core Duo much hotter than PCs do. Something isn't quite right.

Agreed.
  • Reply 19 of 130
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    He had a kernel panic. The question is obviously "why?" I haven't had one yet, and my iMac only had one when I loaded an early beta of Parallels. This doesn't sound like a heat problem to me.

FWIW, mine runs warm but not hot, and is incredibly quiet. have nothing but great things to say about the MacBook after three days.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Except that when it comes to laptops, it doesn't matter what revision it is. Apple somehow always manages to screw [/i]something[/i] up. The latest PowerBook revision was, what, revision C? It had a long list of problems, bad trackpads being just one of them.

But actual studies of these things (consumer reports I think comes to mind) consistently show apple's machines to have fewer issues.

It's just that we're on an apple board, and we talk about them all the time.