Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    Still not convinced?

read this review:

MacBook review by Ars Technica: 9/10

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars

• Reply 22 of 87
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    It's almost certain the soon the Pro laptops will be further differentiated once the faster chips are released this summer. So, the question really is graphics, it seems.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

no way on that 1549 macbook. a refurbed macbook PRO in the refurb store will run you 1599. go refurbished!

the only macbook worth a college student's money is the 1099 version, the rest of them are too expensive, imho.

I didn't know that, there are no refurb mbps in my country's apple store(canada) I just used US pricing because that's where I figured he was.

Fine then to save more money he could do:

White 2.0 Ghz Mabook

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512 (100)

80GB Serial ATA drive (50)

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

$1449 USD now he save $550 off a brand new mbp.

Personally if it was me (which I am doing) I'd get the 2.0 version (cuz of the built in super drive) keep the stock 60gb upgrade to a 1gb ram and get a 300gb external hd for home/dorm use and still come out way ahead.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PepeDLux

So, with the shiny (or should I say glossy?) new MacBook out, I suppose that my choice for a computer for college should be pretty simple, a MacBook as opposed to a MBP or an iMac, right? This is my first Apple computer, so I figured asking those who obviously know much more about it would be a good idea. Thoughts, anyone? Any input is fantastic.

-PepeDLux

If you can spare the cash, get the MacBook Pro. It will hold a higher resale value and in two years you'll be able to sell it for a decent price. Beyond that, it's a lot better than the MacBook.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Of course it's better, but a lot of students won't have the cash for it. I don't play games, and for me the cheapest Macbook is sufficient. I can always use a second monitor in addition with the small 13" screen.

• Reply 26 of 87
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    If you want to game, just get a Xbox, Xbox360, or PS2. Your MacBook will be great for your iLife, for schoolwork, a real helpful companion in your life and school-life.

If you want to play games though, just get a console. Gaming requirements for PCs are very high nowadays for just several good titles. The MacBook will not really be able to play any modern windows or mac os x games. MacBook Pro is way overkill for your college needs IMO
  • Reply 27 of 87
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Yah, the other issue is that you can easily go down to EB or whatever and get used console games. All of the local EBs to me have really downsized their PC game offerings and dropped used PC games.

When you're looking at paying $40 for a new 2nd tier PC game and $14 for the used console version you start living with the limitations of consoles vs PCs and missing a few titles. For the casual gamer that's likely adequate. For the hard core go pro.

Vinea
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Originally posted by vinea

...For the casual gamer that's likely adequate. For the hard core go [MacBook] pro.

The thing is though that even if you clock the GPU higher in the MacBook Pro you're looking at about 3000+ 3dMark05s.

Which means till the end of this year playing the latest games at "Medium settings" and in 2007 playing the latest games at "Low settings".

Laptop gaming for the hardcore means getting something like an Alienware. Otherwise you should go a PC tower if your hardcore PC gamer... A PC tower one will have to continue to upgrade over time.

Again, otherwise just go the console path for simplicity and just enjoy MacBook (non Pro) for all your college and iLife needs.

Being a hardcore PC gamer nowadays means a lot of investments over time in your rig for a much limited (?) selection of good titles (FEAR, HL2, LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth2, FarCry... UT2004, hmmm... and just a few others that are PC-exclusive that are worthwhile).

Not that I want to start the PC vs Console debate again...
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

Of course it's better, but a lot of students won't have the cash for it. I don't play games, and for me the cheapest Macbook is sufficient. I can always use a second monitor in addition with the small 13" screen.

I don't think the MacBook does screen spanning. Perhaps screen spanning doctor will end up dong the trick, but perhaps it won't. I'm not sure that the Intel graphics support screen spanning.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    The MacBook now supports screen spanning up to the resolution of the 23" cinema display
  • Reply 31 of 87
    monalisamonalisa Posts: 15member
    I'd go with a Macbook. If you need to do a lot of programming, you may want to eventually get an external monitor and keyboard. I do this now with a 12" PB, and it's awesome - I run it in closed lid mode, which the Macbook will also do. When I need to drag the PB to campus, I just unplug and through it in a sleeve and into the Timbuk2 bag. I never have to turn it off, always in sleep mode and things sort themselves out with resolution (I'm using a 1600x1200 monitor).
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The MacBook now supports screen spanning up to the resolution of the 23" cinema display

I still hold by my original recommendation: unless money is an issue, get the MacBook Pro. When I was in college, I spent a great deal of time using my powerbooks. They were the most important things I had. Given the importance of the situation, I'd say that it's worth trying to save $500 to $1000 in other areas in order to swing the Pro.

Or just find a way to make a few grand of cash. That's a pretty easy task if your keep your mind limber. There are always things you can cash in on with little to no effort. Almost never big jobs, but in college, that's perfect.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    get the macbook FROM your school.

discounts are what's hot in the streets.

it's 'groovy'.

• Reply 34 of 87
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Just visited the Apple Store in Fukuoka, Japan, with a friend who is 1) thinking of switching to Mac and 2) looking at a protable. We spent two hours in front of the machines and I will share our conclusions. First off, I will say that I currently have a PB 15", the wife has an iBook 12" and I used to have a PB 12". We move around alot, and often have lunch in coffee shops. The firend I was at the shop with yesterday is a businessman who wants to carry his machine with him for presentations.

Get the MacBook.

- smaller and lighter than the MacBook Pro. I have carried 12" and 15" models on trips and will say quickly the difference in bulk and slight difference in weight can make a trip nice or tough.

- it is more durable than the MBP. It is built tough and canprobably (though I don't recommend this) stand up to bumps and pojes better than the MBP.

- It is almost the same speed; indeed, most users would never notice the difference. It will do whatever you need it to do. If you need more graphics processing power (DVD burning, etc) on a regular basis, you can grab a mini or iMac later and let them spend the CPU time needed.

- It is cheaper. Use the money you save to go on and get Microshaft Office (some people require Word files) and other apps that will make your life easier, more enjoyable and, most importantly, more productive. Also grab a spare battery for long trips to the library or places where you might not find a power outlet. [Be sure to switch out the batteries so they are both fully charged; you can "hot-swap".]

- The screen is fantastic; I used it in the store and also in another computer shop with lots of bright lights all over the place; I could also see it easily, and it looked better than the MBP hands down.

- It feels cooler... the aluminum body of the Pro tends to feel hotter than the plastic, though they may be the same temp. I used the iSight to create a 5 minute movie on both the MB and the MBP, then used the effects to change to a soft focus and set both machines to process. They both took a while to fiish, but the MB felt much cooler at the end of the test.

- It looks cooler, and the girls will like that. It also matches your iPod, so you will be the coolest-looking dude on campus (just make sure you know how to use everything, otherwise the coolness factor fades quickly).

Yes: make sure you use a student ID to get all the appropriate discounts so then you can laugh at us workers who have to slave extra hours to afford the same stuff.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    The coolness factor is there.. I would agree the white Macbook looks awesome no doubt.

But again, I want that graphics card, so I must get the Pro verion..

Make your choice, even if it's a tough one.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Personally if it was me (which I am doing) I'd get the 2.0 version (cuz of the built in super drive) keep the stock 60gb upgrade to a 1gb ram and get a 300gb external hd for home/dorm use and still come out way ahead.

Since the HDD is so easy to upgrade, I would also do a DIY upgrade to a 100GB lappy drive and put the 60 with factory image on the shelf in case (God forbid) you drop it, or some other act of college foolery causes the HDD to crash, all you need to do is swap in the 60G and install your apps...no waiting at the genius bar, no panicing at 3 AM...just use this method along with iDisk and, in case the network is down, periodic DVD backups, and you will be ready for anything...
  • Reply 37 of 87
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    To be honest, I bought a Powerbook (the predecessor to the MacBook Pro) for my time at university and apart from a very few times needing to take it somewhere it mostly stayed in my room.

If you plan to take your computer everywhere with you, get a MacBook or MBP, but if you're only in it for the novelty or the chance you might need the portability someday, get an iMac, the trade off being its cheaper than a MBP but has a better graphics card and larger screen than the MacBook (the MacBook's integrated graphics are not for gaming, think of the iMac as having no graphics card - it is that bad).

So I would recommend an iMac, especially if you want to play the occasional game etc, load Windows on it.

Which ever machine you buy, make sure you spec it with at least 1GB of RAM, otherwise you machine will crawl, in fact, 2GB is a very good number, especially if you want to run windows on it for games.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    rafarafa Posts: 25member
    I understand that it is a possibility that a new MBP could come out at WWDC here in a few weeks. Is it really worth the wait to see if a new MBP comes out? What exactly is the benefit of the new Merom processor, I know it will be faster, but will it increase battery life?
  • Reply 39 of 87
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    rafa, possibly, all I know is that it is more powerful at the same mhz and maybe at the same power consumption. Whether or not Apple will use the chips for more speed or to save power I don't know.

Buy a computer when you need it. If you can wait, then wait.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    rafarafa Posts: 25member
    yeah I think I'll definitely wait and see what comes out. If a new MBP doesn't come out then I'll probably get a MB, which hopefully I can get in time for college because of the increased wait time. Can't wait!