MacBook & 512MB Memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well... I've just ordered my new MacBook. It's replacing my still very capable 12" iBook G4 (800 MHz). I had to scrape up the cash for the basic MacBook (which is still a good machine). I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it will run decently with the 512MB? I know everyone says you need at least a gig. My old iBook at 640MB with a discrete GPU... the MacBook has less memory and has to share it with the integrated GPU. I do plan on getting more memory in a few weeks... I'm just hoping that it will at least run decently until then. I have a Centrino notebook with 512MB and shared video memory... and it runs okay.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I upgraded mine before even turning it on, so I can't really give you a first-hand account, but if you're going to be doing a lot of multitasking I would definitely suggest upgrading. Once you subtract the 64-80 megs the integrated graphics use up you've got considerably less to work with.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Well... when I told my other half that I just picked up a MacBook, he gave me an early $$ birthday gift. He wanted to split the cost for my B-day in August... so I was able to get a gig (2x512) of memory. He has a MB Pro and said he noticed a major performance boost with additional memory... and that's with a discrete GPU. I'm all excited about getting my new MacBook now! I was an exclusive Windows person until I got my first iBook about two years ago. At the time, it was the only thing in the $1,000 price range that was that small. Most of the PC notebooks at that time were close to twice that price. I loved my iBook G4 (800MHz) until I gave it away about a month ago (with the expectation that I'd be replacing it soon). Now with Boot Camp... this is the perfect machine for me.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I expect that the difference between 1 GB and 512 MB is much bigger than between 1 and 2 GB. Or not?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Priced this out this morning; the 1 gig upgrade is a good deal from Apple. The 2 gig is a ripoff! that can be done (from pricewatch) for ~$180 so about 200 after shipping and tax.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    If anyone is looking for a 512MB DIMM for any of the Intel Macs, PM me. I bought a 20" iMac and got 2 1GB DIMMS, and would be happy to sell (cheap) the 512MB that came with the machine.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    512 is deff usable, but your really not using the machine to it's full potential. I put 2 gig's in today and it's much better I would say 1 gig minimum for a nice experience.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Well... when I told my other half that I just picked up a MacBook, he gave me an early $$ birthday gift. He wanted to split the cost for my B-day in August... so I was able to get a gig (2x512) of memory. He has a MB Pro and said he noticed a major performance boost with additional memory... and that's with a discrete GPU. I'm all excited about getting my new MacBook now! I was an exclusive Windows person until I got my first iBook about two years ago. At the time, it was the only thing in the $1,000 price range that was that small. Most of the PC notebooks at that time were close to twice that price. I loved my iBook G4 (800MHz) until I gave it away about a month ago (with the expectation that I'd be replacing it soon). Now with Boot Camp... this is the perfect machine for me.

If you are going to run virtualized Windows using Parallels, get 2.0 GB or memory, and at least the 60GB drive. Unless you are going to run very needy games, forget about Boot Camp. Parallels is the way to go. Parallels Virtual Workstation
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tman87tman87 Posts: 10member
    I ran my mbp with 512 its fast unless too many programs. Get a 512 Jetram stick to make 1 gig. Only $36 and has worked in 2 guys minis and my mbp. I havn't noticed any problems for 3 weeks now. Good deal. Who needs 2 GB lol
  • Reply 9 of 13
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I was so ticked off on Saturday. I ordered my MacBook from Fry's on Friday morning for Saturday delivery (since I would be home then)... and yet again... DHL screwed up. It's one of those things that you just feel is going to happen. The likelyhood of a shipment problem is directly proportional to how much you want something. I called DHL... "Oh, we're sorry, the shipment never left our sort facility, it will be delivered on Monday". I think this has happened to me four or five times when I've ordered stuff from Fry's. The problem is DHL is the only shipping option they have because they have a DHL shipping facility onsite. They have excellent overnight shipping charges... but DHL seems very unreliable. Anyway... I was able to cancel my order with Fry's and they contacted DHL to have to delivery returned to them. I have an Apple store a few miles from me so I went there. Unfortunately, I was sold on the black MacBook. A couple hundred dollars more for the color... oh well. Even knowing the white holds up better to dust and finger prints (the black shows everything). I'm really really happy that I got it though (the MacBook... regardless of the color). Apple once again has a notebook that is an excellent value. For $1100 you get a Core Duo, built in iSight, remote (which I guess few people will use), and an all around excellently built machine. I get tired of hearing people always say Macs are overpriced. Yeah... their high end stuff usually comes at a premium, but I'd be hard pressed to find a comparable PC in the basic MacBook range... especially with the added advantage of now being able to run Windows natively. I've installed BootCamp and XP... but find I don't really have any need for anything in XP. I find myself daydreaming at work... anxious to get home to play with my new beauty. I think that says alot about Apple's design... in terms of both functionality as well as look/feel. Oh yeah... forgot to mention as I went off on a tangent... got a gig of memory from Kingston (512MB*2)... what a shame to have to take out the 512MB it came with just to look at it and say "That's very nice". I don't have anything else I can use it in.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Definitely upgrade to 1 GB RAM, because 512 MB RAM is only 432 MB real, due to the integrated VRAM.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

512 is deff usable, but your really not using the machine to it's full potential. I put 2 gig's in today and it's much better I would say 1 gig minimum for a nice experience.

Just did the same thing and hour ago and it's like a whole new machine. I had no idea how much increase I would get, but I am more than pleased. I suggest ordering the 2 gig chips and never dealing with it again. You'll be happy.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    run it on 512 until you cannot bear it, rather than go for the 1 gig, then go straight to 2 gig and notice the difference
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Can anyone point me in the direction to purchase 3rd party RAM for the Macbook? I'm looking for 2 1Gb RAM modules.

Cheers!

Found:

1 Gb $125 each

Another

1 Gb $82

Any better prices out there?Best place yet