I'm bringing my MBP in for repair tomorrow - help please!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so I'm a bit PO'd about my MBP. It's been kinda buggy and it's had two kernel panics so far, so I did a hardware test. The test told me my logic board was fried - great. I also have quite a number of other problems with it, including the screen, the keyboard, the hinge, the RAM slot underneath (dented), the actual MagSafe cord (not the slot), the casing ("pops" on the left hand corner), the hard drive (it "moos"), the screen whine, it has the CPU whine, and it's VERY hot. (It can burn bare legs if used for more than a couple minutes at full temp!) I know the Geniuses are supposed to not care about heat, but I'll be mentioning everything else. It also has a problem where, occasionally, after opening the laptop up from sleep, it refuses to ask for a password and just remains black, prompting me to restart using the power button.

I'm taking it in tomorrow and I'm praying, just praying, that they'll let me trade it in for a 20" iMac with 256 MB of graphics memory. Has anybody had any luck with that?

Does anybody also have any experience with the Geniuses at the King of Prussia mall in PA? (I've been told the main guy's a bit "deaf" towards MBP buzzing, but I'd like some more opinions.)

Is there anything I should say to be more persuasive? I have a plan to kind of hint that if I could get my MBP replaced I'd be buying an iMac that very minute; they'd be kind of interested more because they get the commission. I'm not going to make a fuss, I just plan to be polite, but firm. Is it better to say the computer "buzzes" or "whines?"

About the iMac: does anybody know if the iMac's thermal grease was improperly applied like the 'Books? Does the iMac get warm? Does it get loud ever? Any major problems with iMacs recently?

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

Edit- I have one more question. My hard drive makes a "taptaptap kind of sound. Is it normal for this sound/feeling when a hard drive is being accessed? I can feel it too if my hand is above the hard drive while it's being accessed. It kind of reminds me of older computers which had that taptaptap noise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Good luck with your efforts. Let me know how it goes! One thing: play your cards right--if he seems like the kind of guy that will recoil at your implicit iMac yearnings, don't show your hand too soon.

In terms of the iMac, I can help you out. I own a 20" Core Duo and I love it. It has given me absolutely no problems. I run Boot Camp on it and generally use it in its full capacity. It has never heated up in my usage, it never makes odd noises, etc. A flawless machine.

In fact, my 15" MBP is just as amazing, but it appears I lucked out with it. The iMac, on the other hand, has had very few complaints (in my experience).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Sorry to be a killjoy but Apple store employees are not payed by commission.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I doubt they will let you trade unless it is within the return period.

They will just repair yours. By repair I mean replace the logic board and not correct any of your problems.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

It also has a problem where, occasionally, after opening the laptop up from sleep, it refuses to ask for a password and just remains black, prompting me to restart using the power button.

Mine has not been stellar when waking from sleep either. That and the CPU whine are my real only two problems.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I have a very early Intel iMac. Very quiet. Not hot. Great machine. No issues whatsoever.